how far to strip fox coretex

pauldane

hi

just started tying my own carp rigs and using fox coretex, quick question how far do i strip back the coating? do i strip it past the knotless knot or whip roung the hook shank with some coated? i know i tie the bait loop with it striped. also what hooks are you using with it? im using 15lb with size 10-8 hooks

Maybe 3 inches depending how you want to fish

3 inches you may as well have it all stripped!

The carp will be laughing at you!

You really aint got a clue have you mate. Why not strip it back 3 inches it will give you a bit more movement at the hookbait which can help the hook turn better. If you are using pop ups you can strip it back 1,2 or 3 inches and have your counterbalance weight on the spot its stripped back to. I use fox cortex alot with 12/15 inch hooklengths stripped back anything up to 4 inches and I catch plenty of good fish. As for the carp laughing at jake I bet they aint laughing as much as I was when yet again on here I read another stupid childish remark.

hi

thanks for all your replys, went friday night with a few rigs tied, had two mirrors 10lb and 12lb with the coating all the way to the hook and a 19lb common with an inch of stripped coming from hook. will try longer next time and let you know. also found i missed a couple of runs with a rig with no rig tubing on the bend of the hook/ hair. after changing to one with tubing no more missed runs :D:D

You really aint got a clue have you mate. Why not strip it back 3 inches it will give you a bit more movement at the hookbait which can help the hook turn better. If you are using pop ups you can strip it back 1,2 or 3 inches and have your counterbalance weight on the spot its stripped back to. I use fox cortex alot with 12/15 inch hooklengths stripped back anything up to 4 inches and I catch plenty of good fish. As for the carp laughing at jake I bet they aint laughing as much as I was when yet again on here I read another stupid childish remark.

???????????????????????????????????

:x:x

:lol::lol:

yeah!!!!!! :lol::lol: sorry jez, couldnt help it mate :wink:

spot on in what you say though, too many people have tunnel vision and cant think for themselves,think that the fish are more likely to be laughing at some of the bloody wonder rigs you see in the comics, which i can see a large contingent of this forum using mate :wink::wink::lol::roll:

hi

also found i missed a couple of runs with a rig with no rig tubing on the bend of the hook/ hair. after changing to one with tubing no more missed runs :D:D

when u say about the rig tubing on the bend of the hook.. i've never seen that before.. please tell me more...

good thread by the way... especially as i have just bought a load of coated braids..

i have some snake skin and some snake bite... what are the differences? why would i use one and not the other. thanks guys

hi

also found i missed a couple of runs with a rig with no rig tubing on the bend of the hook/ hair. after changing to one with tubing no more missed runs :D:D

when u say about the rig tubing on the bend of the hook.. i've never seen that before.. please tell me more...

good thread by the way... especially as i have just bought a load of coated braids..

i have some snake skin and some snake bite... what are the differences? why would i use one and not the other. thanks guys

If you have a look at rig set ups in this section (Uk rig tying) you will see the rig tubing/shrink tubing on the bend of the hook :wink:

rules just common sense the end

Please justify/explain your strange view - why is a little bit stripped off better than more?? Some people strip it off completely! Depends what your trying to achieve THE END AS YOU SAY ! :lol:

Dont know where your going with this

Seems some others dont get your point either as below:

When using a coating braid, i find that when i am first getting ready to tie the rig, i strip of about 5-5 1/2 inches. This allows after i have tied the loop for the hair and wrapped around the shank of the hook, i am left ~1inch of exposed braid between the end of the shrink tubing over the eye of the hook and the stiff section of the braid.

• 2 weeks later...

In Carp Fishing the Rule is, that there are no Rules.

What works on 1 day may not the next. Therefore it pays to experiment when removing the Coating of any Coated Hooklink as at any given time the Carp may want it differently from the day before.

For years I have been using Snakeskin, Snakebite, and Super Mantis, and have played around with literally thousands of different combinations and there is no right or wrong answer. Stripped back millimetres from the eye or line aligner, or even 5-10centimtres. In fact there have been a few where the only coating was stripped was about 25mm away from the hook, where I wanted to create a hinge.

I'm fishing a new water now I have in fact gone all the way back to basic Braids, out with the Dacron and Kite String again :wink::lol: