New Carp Gear - Looking for advice

Hi everyone, I am new here so many thanks in advance for reading this.

I used to do a lot of carp angling when I was 13-15, about 10 years ago now. Last year I got back into fishing and have been using a Daiwa Match rod for float fishing. After catching a good number of 7-10lb carp float fishing last year and some this year, I've decided to get back into carp fishing so I can go for the bigger boys like I used to.

I don't have any carp fishing gear yet really other than a net and unhooking mat.

I was looking at the following rod and reel (x2) to start me off:

Daiwa Black Widow G50 Rod - 12ft 2.75lb TC x2

Daiwa Black Widow Reel - 5000A x2

Unfortunately the site I use is out of stock on G50 rods, and ideally I want my rods/reels to match (and have a "nice" setup compared to what I used to use!)

As this rod is out of stock I was looking at potentially going for "Daiwa D Carp Rod", 12ft 3lb TC. I will likely use the same black widow reels, little shame if the rods are not black widow as well.

I just wonder if it is worth me trying to source/paying extra for the G50 rods over the D Carp?

I'll be fishing day ticket lakes and casting no more than 20-30m, I can get G50 in 3.25 TC but I think this will be too much for the lakes I'm fishing in.

I'm very new to this so appreciate any insight. Can't go too expensive on rod/reels as I need to buy all the other stuff like rod pod, alarms etc

Thank you!!

13 minutes ago, Reliance said:

Hi everyone, I am new here so many thanks in advance for reading this.

I used to do a lot of carp angling when I was 13-15, about 10 years ago now. Last year I got back into fishing and have been using a Daiwa Match rod for float fishing. After catching a good number of 7-10lb carp float fishing last year and some this year, I've decided to get back into carp fishing so I can go for the bigger boys like I used to.

I don't have any carp fishing gear yet really other than a net and unhooking mat.

I was looking at the following rod and reel (x2) to start me off:

Daiwa Black Widow G50 Rod - 12ft 2.75lb TC x2

Daiwa Black Widow Reel - 5000A x2

Unfortunately the site I use is out of stock on G50 rods, and ideally I want my rods/reels to match (and have a "nice" setup compared to what I used to use!)

As this rod is out of stock I was looking at potentially going for "Daiwa D Carp Rod", 12ft 3lb TC. I will likely use the same black widow reels, little shame if the rods are not black widow as well.

I just wonder if it is worth me trying to source/paying extra for the G50 rods over the D Carp?

I'll be fishing day ticket lakes and casting no more than 20-30m, I can get G50 in 3.25 TC but I think this will be too much for the lakes I'm fishing in.

I'm very new to this so appreciate any insight. Can't go too expensive on rod/reels as I need to buy all the other stuff like rod pod, alarms etc

Thank you!!

All the daiwa rods and reels are good to use and reliable, sonik is another good brand a lot of the budget brands have upped their product range.

50 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

All the daiwa rods and reels are good to use and reliable, sonik is another good brand a lot of the budget brands have upped their product range.

Is it worth paying around £20 more per rod for the G50 over the D Carp ones?

38 minutes ago, Reliance said:

Is it worth paying around £20 more per rod for the G50 over the D Carp ones?

in the long run it might be i bet there is little difference in them though,  if you wish to fish solid bags or stick mix you would be better off with the 3lb test curve rods in either have a look in go out doors they are doing a sonik kit think it is a two rod and reel kit

https://fishdeal.co.uk/t/carp-fishing-combo/sonik-xtractor-2-rod-carp-kit-multiple-options?v=174863&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmpyRBhC-ARIsABs2EAqz5Ugy2Jbsehh7bq7FwoJkysYpaXQHoCVoNUfXQdbrI9JEhLN-tu0aAkhCEALw_wcB

The black widow kit by dawia would be the best option for rods and reels though. 

2 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

in the long run it might be i bet there is little difference in them though,  if you wish to fish solid bags or stick mix you would be better off with the 3lb test curve rods in either have a look in go out doors they are doing a sonik kit think it is a two rod and reel kit

https://fishdeal.co.uk/t/carp-fishing-combo/sonik-xtractor-2-rod-carp-kit-multiple-options?v=174863&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmpyRBhC-ARIsABs2EAqz5Ugy2Jbsehh7bq7FwoJkysYpaXQHoCVoNUfXQdbrI9JEhLN-tu0aAkhCEALw_wcB

The black widow kit by dawia would be the best option for rods and reels though. 

Personally I would avoid Sonik rods, the 50mm guides are awful. I have broken a few on the rods I got to test. 

1 minute ago, Reliance said:

I was aiming for 12ft as this is what I used to use and seems to be the recommended size when I researched it, not sure if I should maybe for for 10ft though?

It’s a good question 

If money is tight and you decide to change waters then 10ft may not be any good for you and you will have to buy again 

if money isn’t a problem and you can afford to chop and change as needed then maybe 10 will suit you 

I wouldn’t want to buy rods on line personally as the cheaper rod may feel better in the hand that the other one you mentioned

12 minutes ago, framey said:

It’s a good question 

If money is tight and you decide to change waters then 10ft may not be any good for you and you will have to buy again 

if money isn’t a problem and you can afford to chop and change as needed then maybe 10 will suit you 

I wouldn’t want to buy rods on line personally as the cheaper rod may feel better in the hand that the other one you mentioned

Money isn't really an issue if I needed to spend more on bigger rods later down the line.

The lake I will fish will be about 6 acres, largest lake there I'd fish is only like 12 acres.

Wondering if 10ft would suit me better here? Only have a small car as well so maybe might help there too!!

7 minutes ago, Reliance said:

Money isn't really an issue if I needed to spend more on bigger rods later down the line.

The lake I will fish will be about 6 acres, largest lake there I'd fish is only like 12 acres.

Wondering if 10ft would suit me better here? Only have a small car as well so maybe might help there too!!

Maybe perfect solution 👍

1 hour ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Personally I would avoid Sonik rods, the 50mm guides are awful. I have broken a few on the rods I got to test. 

Must have had a bad batch... I've not had a single problem with my 4 Sonik Rods... 3x 12ft 3.25 and 12ft Spod Rod. 

3 hours ago, Highy said:

Must have had a bad batch... I've not had a single problem with my 4 Sonik Rods... 3x 12ft 3.25 and 12ft Spod Rod. 

Bad batches!

Bought from different sources, subject to standard Nick use.

Hybrid Spod and Marker rod, 2 x Vader 12ft 3.00, used for pike fishing.

All have had butt rings replaced. One cracked at the top (rod side) of the guide on the Hybrid S+M, and the other 2 inners popped out while in the holdall.

No other manufacturers Rods have ever done the same, with the exception of an Abu Segra Spod Rod where braid cut grooves in the tip and butt ring. Century, Rod Hutchinson, Shimano, Avid all stood up to my use and abuse.

I have looked at the Sonik guides and they have misshapen slightly from use while fishing.

11 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Bad batches!

Bought from different sources, subject to standard Nick use.

Hybrid Spod and Marker rod, 2 x Vader 12ft 3.00, used for pike fishing.

All have had butt rings replaced. One cracked at the top (rod side) of the guide on the Hybrid S+M, and the other 2 inners popped out while in the holdall.

No other manufacturers Rods have ever done the same, with the exception of an Abu Segra Spod Rod where braid cut grooves in the tip and butt ring. Century, Rod Hutchinson, Shimano, Avid all stood up to my use and abuse.

I have looked at the Sonik guides and they have misshapen slightly from use while fishing.

My 1st ever Sonik SK3 XTR's bought 2nd hand did have a 50mm ring missing, but apart from that they been spot on.