Sharpened hooks and snag fishing

elmoputney

I was listening to the korda podcast the other day and it took me back to last years hook pull situation, DF was saying how he doesn't use sharpened hooks when snag fishing as he suffered a few hook pulls using them, I was using sharpened hooks and put 2 and 2 together I was Convinced it was using a bait screw on the shank of the hook that I thought wasn't allowing enough movement, 

But I just wondered if anyone else had found this when using sharpened hooks ? 

I have been using J precision hooks lately and while they are sharp they don't seem to have the granny rubbed off them 🤔

1 hour ago, yonny said:

Nah.

I have due to something when I was snag fishing last year,and I was making sure my hooks were sharp, I just thought it was interesting that Danny was discussing what seemed a similar thing, and then he said he stopped using sharpened hooks when snag fishing, and he stopped getting so many hook pulls, he seemed to think the finer gauge under pressure may just cause little tears and come out, whereas an unsharpened hook would stay put 

I haven’t noticed an increase in hookpulls using sharpened hooks to be honest mate, I wasn’t out and out snag fishing admittedly, but I was hitting and holding to stop carp kiting into a corner (which made landing them more tricky) on the take and if anything, a touched up hook increased my hooking ratio, I only had one hook pull out of 20+ fish and that was a single figured fish trailing a large branch it picked up on the way in, I was destined to lose that fish regardless of whether the hook was sharp or not I think, a branch attached to the hooklink isn’t helpful! I thought I was into a monster until it surfaced! 🙄

4 hours ago, ouchthathurt said:

I haven’t noticed an increase in hookpulls using sharpened hooks to be honest mate, I wasn’t out and out snag fishing admittedly, but I was hitting and holding to stop carp kiting into a corner (which made landing them more tricky) on the take and if anything, a touched up hook increased my hooking ratio, I only had one hook pull out of 20+ fish and that was a single figured fish trailing a large branch it picked up on the way in, I was destined to lose that fish regardless of whether the hook was sharp or not I think, a branch attached to the hooklink isn’t helpful! I thought I was into a monster until it surfaced! 🙄

Maybe it was the way I was sharpening them or something, just something I thought might be a factor when I went through a run of them, I do feel more confident now using the J precision ones, they seem sharp and not overworked, and it hasn't happened since and hopefully won't again🤞🤞🤞🤞