Haith's base mixes

Carpbell_ll

Wondering if anyone could share a little insight into how they have found Haith's base mixes, some seem to be very coarse and might need milling? 

Take their Nectar blend as an example is that ready to roll as is once eggs and liquid are added, or would it need flours of any sort adding to aid the finished bait, some of the mixes look like they would get very sticky if made as it comes.

Haith's base mixes seem like very good value and as is well known quality with a lot of big bait companies using their mixes, but finding good info on how to turn one into a bait without ending up with a cake mix is a bit thin on the ground.

5 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Wondering if anyone could share a little insight into how they have found Haith's base mixes, some seem to be very course and might need milling? 

Take their Nectar blend as an example is that ready to roll as is once eggs and liquid are added, or would it need flours of any sort adding to aid the finished bait, some of the mixes look like they would get very sticky if made as it comes.

Haith's base mixes seem like very good value and as is well known quality with a lot of big bait companies using their mixes, but finding good info on how to turn one into a bait without ending up with a cake mix is a bit thin on the ground.

I had a play with some when I was messing last year, the nectar blend is quite coarse but some of the basemixes seemed to roll OK, have a look at the haiths app, Ken townley has done loads of recipes on there 👍

4 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

Wondering if anyone could share a little insight into how they have found Haith's base mixes, some seem to be very course and might need milling? 

I think you'll find that nectar blend is an ingredient and not a base mix on it's own. Add other powders to it to formulate a base mix.  

49 minutes ago, emmcee said:

I think you'll find that nectar blend is an ingredient and not a base mix on it's own. Add other powders to it to formulate a base mix.  

That's what i thought but reading the haiths page they say it can be made up into bolies as is, i really like the look of the Robin Orange and some of what they call their base mix range. 

On a average 1 kilo wet mix how much of that one kilo would would need to be flour to bind and roll the ingredients into a workable dough? would any of the milled nut flours work just as well as a polenta type flour? 

The size and coarseness of the ingredients that go into a boilie is quite a complex part of the overall picture. If it was as fine as flour, it would bind well but water wouldn't penetrate it easily and the flavours would be locked in. Think of a Victoria sponge (but obviously smaller) and the flavours and goodness are easier to leach out. Bait manufacturers will source the ingredients and the size that that think will provide optimum results.

14 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

The size and coarseness of the ingredients that go into a boilie is quite a complex part of the overall picture. If it was as fine as flour, it would bind well but water wouldn't penetrate it easily and the flavours would be locked in. Think of a Victoria sponge (but obviously smaller) and the flavours and goodness are easier to leach out. Bait manufacturers will source the ingredients and the size that that think will provide optimum results.

Also most ingredients used by bait firms are relatively fine as its 99% machine rolled and the machines can't handle coarse bait. If it is coarse then they would need too much binder that would in turn lock all the goodness in. 

18 hours ago, Carpbell_ll said:

That's what i thought but reading the haiths page they say it can be made up into bolies as is, i really like the look of the Robin Orange and some of what they call their base mix range. 

On a average 1 kilo wet mix how much of that one kilo would would need to be flour to bind and roll the ingredients into a workable dough? would any of the milled nut flours work just as well as a polenta type flour? 

You need a binder in the bait. Whey protein concentrate is the better option for this in my opinion but is expensive.  

As for robin orange I wouldn't entertain it. Robin red has changed over the years. Nowhere near as red as it used to be. 

1 hour ago, elmoputney said:

Isn't Robin red just paprika or something? 

There is paprika in it but it is pulped fruit pepper and spices the raw form is very nice, it is for Avery show birds parrots and that. 

The robin orange is a sweeter fruity spice, had some great results on the robin gold highly rate it, the guy I get my bait off makes a very high quality bait with both the red and gold will do a custom bait if it is worth his work and it is not something mental that he knows won't work he is set with his own three recipes and will roll other companies baits so long as it is not just the odd kilo bag of mainline here and there. 

He is quite confident that one or all of his baits will catch anywhere at any time of year as they are, just don't ask about glugging them, lol. 

50 minutes ago, Carpbell_ll said:

There is paprika in it but it is pulped fruit pepper and spices the raw form is very nice, it is for Avery show birds parrots and that. 

The robin orange is a sweeter fruity spice, had some great results on the robin gold highly rate it, the guy I get my bait off makes a very high quality bait with both the red and gold will do a custom bait if it is worth his work and it is not something mental that he knows won't work he is set with his own three recipes and will roll other companies baits so long as it is not just the odd kilo bag of mainline here and there. 

He is quite confident that one or all of his baits will catch anywhere at any time of year as they are, just don't ask about glugging them, lol. 

I think it's all about the confidence tbh, I didn't do very well when I messed about making my own, I think it's better use something proven as you are always tweaking and testing, with regards to glugging I've become very sold on taking baits straight out the freezer pouring a cup or two of boiling water and a hydro liquid, give it a good mix and just let that wash them out for 24 hours before using, the result a washed out soft bait the carp will eat with gusto, and with loads of attraction washed in, 

On 01/12/2020 at 17:28, emmcee said:

Necta blend cennet casian lamb milk replacer and eggshell or oyster powder for crunch binds well and allows water to penetrate so leak whatever liquid attraction your including 

hope this helps I will just add that baby milk is a good addition to it helps bind plus all the vitamins and minerals that are in it use about 250 grams of overall mix as your boilies will float otherwise