tubing or not?

30 minutes ago, framey said:

Why not just cut the swivel off?

You mean off the lead, I will be doing so the silicone goes over the quick link. 

I will be trying with silicone tubing on 2 rods see how it goes, my 3rd is put on a Korda lead clip system. 

On 31 July 2020 at 09:30, Highy said:

Screenshot_20200731_092905.thumb.jpg.1cee8ea62a25ef0b36dbbcd56ad48dea.jpg

Setting up the running rigs, need some silicone sleeves for when cut lead swivel off. 

Would rig tubing be OK to use with it or use naked line? Got about 3ft tubing behind it. 

I fish running rigs both with or without tubing. I tend to use tubing when there are things that can rub and frag the line down near the lead. The tubing protects the line.

If the water in the swim is clear, block, snag or gravel free then I will fish with no tubing.

I don't buy (😁) into tubing 'protecting fish', it was originally used to prevent tangles with softer hooklink materials, and is called anti-tangle tubing for that reason. I do not know which tackle brand it was who started advertising or promoting it as fish protection, but in over 30 years of carp fishing I have not seen mono line cut a fish or lift a scale. If any fish was going to have a scale lifted, I think it would be a big scaly mirror where scales are prominent. A common has its scales overlapping and smooth.

If you buy Korum Run Rings, I seem to think they do come with silicone tubing to cover the link clip

39 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I fish running rigs both with or without tubing. I tend to use tubing when there are things that can rub and frag the line down near the lead. The tubing protects the line.

If the water in the swim is clear, block, snag or gravel free then I will fish with no tubing.

I don't buy (😁) into tubing 'protecting fish', it was originally used to prevent tangles with softer hooklink materials, and is called anti-tangle tubing for that reason. I do not know which tackle brand it was who started advertising or promoting it as fish protection, but in over 30 years of carp fishing I have not seen mono line cut a fish or lift a scale. If any fish was going to have a scale lifted, I think it would be a big scaly mirror where scales are prominent. A common has its scales overlapping and smooth.

If you buy Korum Run Rings, I seem to think they do come with silicone tubing to cover the link clip

Running rigs will be go to method now, just have a tinker about at 1st...

Will try out both. 

56 minutes ago, Highy said:

What is the indication like on running rigs, I know there will be probably lots of minor Indications, do I just wait for the full on screamer 🤣

Watch from about 4.45...what an eye opener. 

So the All singing all dancing vibration sensing Isn’t that good after all lol

9 hours ago, Highy said:

What is the indication like on running rigs, I know there will be probably lots of minor Indications, do I just wait for the full on screamer 🤣

8 hours ago, framey said:

So the All singing all dancing vibration sensing Isn’t that good after all lol

Don't forget that water transmits vibration differently to air😉

I watched the semi-fixed lead, and the inline lead that pulled off the swivel; neither of them is a true running set-up. Got bored at that point as what happens on the bank is not what happens underwater.

A true running lead needs to be fished slack line, and an inline lead has some increased resistance over a run ring, more so on tubing!

You can get single bleeps from (small) fish hitting the line hanging from the rod tip. I found with running leads I got a couple of bleeps then a screamer. 

My preferred way to fish a running lead with slack line is put the line in a clip above the reel as well. 

Thought I still had a pic hanging around. This was my running lead on tubing set-up I used on Nazeing, and still use now.

image.jpeg

9 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

I watched the semi-fixed lead, and the inline lead that pulled off the swivel; neither of them is a true running set-up. Got bored at that point as what happens on the bank is not what happens underwater.

A true running lead needs to be fished slack line, and an inline lead has some increased resistance over a run ring, more so on tubing!

You can get single bleeps from (small) fish hitting the line hanging from the rod tip. I found with running leads I got a couple of bleeps then a screamer. 

My preferred way to fish a running lead with slack line is put the line in a clip above the reel as well. 

Thought I still had a pic hanging around. This was my running lead on tubing set-up I used on Nazeing, and still use now.

image.jpeg

So fish it more or less slack line, will try with tubing 1st then without next time. 

Will be more or less trial and error 1st time round (thinking of going Thursday) off work for 4 days from Tuesday. 

4 hours ago, Highy said:

So fish it more or less slack line, will try with tubing 1st then without next time. 

Will be more or less trial and error 1st time round (thinking of going Thursday) off work for 4 days from Tuesday. 

Totally slack line, or as slack as you can get it.

I cast out, and tighten to the lead, which sounds wrong, then I put the rod tip under water, pull line off the spool as I get the rod on the buzzer, keeping the tip under water until the last second of lifting onto rest, with as much slack as possible. I put indicator on, knowing it will pull slack out of the water, so pull more line off reel, until indicator goes straight down. The line after I have finished will be running over every rod ring, and should be dropping straight down from the rod tip.

It may take a while for the line to sink, and settle, so you may need to pull a little more line off the reel a couple of times. If your indicator starts lifting you will see you need to give a bit more slack.

Thanks for the link Highy. That set up in the video is just what I have been looking for. I have started fishing a lake with too many small tench which are a nuisance. They are big enough to get hooked but not big enough to move the weight of a traditional, semi fixed, inline, bolt lead. I am not a big fan of a straightforward running lead (which would detect small fish movement,) because you lose the bolt effect. The video shows a technique which seems to have  the best of both worlds. I would go one step further and use a fox impact lead which acts as COG lead. to give a more efficient bolt effect.

1163942026_foxcog.jpg.393cd98dd2cc352d938349a9608ee3da.jpg

On 02/08/2020 at 08:13, Highy said:

Looking at the length of rig, does it need to be a certain length for a running rig?? 

On 02/08/2020 at 08:00, salokcinnodrog said:

image.jpeg

Looking at the length of rig, does it need to be a certain length for a running rig?? 

Edited by Highy

43 minutes ago, Highy said:

No Mate, that is the length I found worked for me on that water.

I would say the fish were regularly pressured and fished for.

Just now, salokcinnodrog said:

No Mate, that is the length I found worked for me on that water.

I would say the fish were regularly pressured and fished for.

Thanks, my water is very pressured in the day, but maximum I've seen at night is 5 fishing, be the same this weekend when I go (36hrs).

Most my rigs are around 6/7 inch, may try them and tie a few up longer on the Bank? 

I fish running rigs all the time.

These are what I use in conjunction with tubing. They are perfect.

http://www.korda.co.uk/fishingtackle/rig-bitz/run-rig-rubber/

Also remove the swivels from my leads, replace them with a small multi clip

https://www.banktackle.co.uk/multi-clips-1190-p.asp

Multi clip through one of these (it's a bit fiddly) and you're good to go

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Running-Rig-Ring-Easy-Run-Rings-Carp-Pike-Fishing-Terminal-Tackle-3-Colours-JG/371242369889?hash=item566fc50361:g:yx0AAOSw1ZBUw6N3

Edited by smufter

On 01/08/2020 at 23:12, Highy said:

The fishes I've had on real running rigs (not semi fixed or anything) have been complete screamers. And the indication is in my mind unbeatable. Pretty much any movement on the line will indicate, if you fish it slack. However it need to be a decent clear bottom so that the line can from the rod tip to the rig along the bottom without being obstructed by weed or big stones etc. 
I have used light pear shaped leads (1,5oz) and run rig rings. Normally to a FC D-Rig or "the german -style" rig. 

1 minute ago, Simon KG said:

The fishes I've had on real running rigs (not semi fixed or anything) have been complete screamers. And the indication is in my mind unbeatable. Pretty much any movement on the line will indicate, if you fish it slack. However it need to be a decent clear bottom so that the line can from the rod tip to the rig along the bottom without being obstructed by weed or big stones etc. 
I have used light pear shaped leads (1,5oz) and run rig rings. Normally to a FC D-Rig or "the german -style" rig. 

I'll be on my permit lake on Saturday morning fishing for 24 (maybe 36hr) 

The lake is pretty much unison all over, no weed, no rocks, its like mud/clay n silty bottom, 2 rods on running rigs, both slack lined. 

Left hand rod will be on a Korda boom rig with the spinner / Ronnie (about 7inch)

Right hand rod will be on a Korda boom again but using a loop combi rig. 

Manilla Baits all the way, with PVA bags with crushed boilie n pellet to start then if any fish, I will introduce some bait. 

2 minutes ago, Highy said:

I'll be on my permit lake on Saturday morning fishing for 24 (maybe 36hr) 

The lake is pretty much unison all over, no weed, no rocks, its like mud/clay n silty bottom, 2 rods on running rigs, both slack lined. 

Left hand rod will be on a Korda boom rig with the spinner / Ronnie (about 7inch)

Right hand rod will be on a Korda boom again but using a loop combi rig. 

Manilla Baits all the way, with PVA bags with crushed boilie n pellet to start then if any fish, I will introduce some bait. 

8 minutes ago, Simon KG said:

Screenshot_20200806_145427.thumb.jpg.2939e9ca970cce24fb6a1b9fb1deda45.jpg

Will be the 1st time ever used them, always been on lead clips. 

This 1 is my combi loop rig setup. 

Edited by Highy