Canal Carp

Ian

Question about canals and netting from a club water?

does anyone know if there is a policy or law against the removal of canal carp into a club water. I am aware of the EA with netting approvals but I have reasons to believe a club local to me is taking fish out of our canal and stocking there club waters. 

any information is greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Ian said:

does anyone know if there is a policy or law against the removal of canal carp into a club water. I am aware of the EA with netting approvals but I have reasons to believe a club local to me is taking fish out of our canal and stocking there club waters. 

I would be straight on to the E.A, a water I was on last year, took over another water also and wanted to transfer the fish from 1 to the other... No License for fish removal, just a man n van (2 blokes with a net and chancing it). 

It soon got back to him and he lost his lease for the 2nd water. 

3 hours ago, Ian said:

Get straight onto the EA. 

You ( as in the club) do not know if diseases or parasites are present, which is why they are so stringent on consent.

It can only take one diseased fish to wipe out a water (I have seen it happen).

The only exception is if a club/venue has multiple waters on one site and are already registered as a fish farm I believe.

Thanks for your replies lads,

I have messages from

certain people admitting the removal, it's a really tough one because the club don't actually care about the canal other than a specific part there using as a stocking pond should I call it. 

the community are not happy the EA are not very helpful either I feel there's a local EA member who's in on it as they have a good friendship with the fisheries manager in question. 

there is no reason to put in a de-stocking program the canal fish in my eyes should be left alone. The fish in question are 20lb + fish. I've contacted the Angling Trust my next port of call is Social Media platforms and potentially The media To expose this club once and for all. 

thanks again for the replies I appreciate it. 

23 hours ago, Ian said:

Thanks for your replies lads,

I have messages from

certain people admitting the removal, it's a really tough one because the club don't actually care about the canal other than a specific part there using as a stocking pond should I call it. 

the community are not happy the EA are not very helpful either I feel there's a local EA member who's in on it as they have a good friendship with the fisheries manager in question. 

there is no reason to put in a de-stocking program the canal fish in my eyes should be left alone. The fish in question are 20lb + fish. I've contacted the Angling Trust my next port of call is Social Media platforms and potentially The media To expose this club once and for all. 

thanks again for the replies I appreciate it. 

Before you do any exposing you need to be certain they are doing it illegally. Otherwise it could well backfire on yourself legally, especially if you implicate there EA are involved in illegal fish moving. 

they may well have the relevant permits, the canal being owned by the canal and rivers trust. Personally I think you’re better off contacting them to make them aware of the issue and the fish being removed from their water. They will be able to take it up legally with the evidence you can give them if it is being carried out illegally. 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Before you do any exposing you need to be certain they are doing it illegally. Otherwise it could well backfire on yourself legally, especially if you implicate there EA are involved in illegal fish moving. 

they may well have the relevant permits, the canal being owned by the canal and rivers trust. Personally I think you’re better off contacting them to make them aware of the issue and the fish being removed from their water. They will be able to take it up legally with the evidence you can give them if it is being carried out illegally. 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

The other thing is, it may possibly be members or officials within the club doing it off their own backs, not necessarily with club approval.

Defiantly get on to the Canal Trust they are relentless in pursuing people that think they can do as they please on the cut, they will go on to private property to remove boats that are in dry storage, put one on the canal and not follow the rules, they tow it to a jetty and crane it out and take it away, the bills are huge.

They would go full bore if they have proof of someone taking fish to stock a commercial fishery.