Not hooking fish

linus1234

Hey guy

i am new into carp fishing baught new gear and i am using a pva solid bag. I am using a 15 mm boilie which is cut up and on top a fake corn with a hook size 6

ive been fishing at my reservoir 5 times and only had 3 takes but when i Picked up the rod there was nothing. Can somebody please give me tips what i am doing wrong? 
and also i am using a 1.5oz inline lead and a hair rig. 

thank you for your help

linus

4 hours ago, linus1234 said:

Hey guy

i am new into carp fishing baught new gear and i am using a pva solid bag. I am using a 15 mm boilie which is cut up and on top a fake corn with a hook size 6

ive been fishing at my reservoir 5 times and only had 3 takes but when i Picked up the rod there was nothing. Can somebody please give me tips what i am doing wrong? 
and also i am using a 1.5oz inline lead and a hair rig. 

thank you for your help

linus

Hi Linus 

Could be any number of reasons, blunt hook, hair too long short, not turning, could be line bites, lead not setting the hook correctly I use 3oz minimum 

If you could post a pic of your rig set up that may help 

Sounds like line bites, which are common when you have a pile of attraction in a small area. Slacken the line right off after casting and look at back leads or add some drops of rig putty to the line behind your rig. Blunt hooks are another common cause of bites not developing. Carp have leathery mouths and can pick up baits and not get hooked. Check how sharp the hook is by (gently) checking it against your thumb or running it along your thumb nail and seeing if it "digs" in. Hook sharpening is a bit of an art and there are companies that sell filing and polishing stones that can make even "sharp out of the packet" hooks that little bit better and restore hooks that have dulled a touch.

Welcome to Carp.com.

There are absolutely loads of reasons why you might not be hooking fish. 

1, the indication may be a line bite. Do not strike until you are certain. Short Up and down movements on your indicator can be liners. Fish swimming through your line, touching it and lifting it up or down. Even small silver fish can give you single bleeps when they touch the line, bream or carp can pull a slack indicator right to the top. 

You may need to cast closer in, to get where the fish are. No point in casting further out than the fish. 

2, you are getting proper takes, but the hair is not long enough. I work on a simple philosophy; if I am hooking fish dead centre of the bottom lip, then my feeding and hair length is right. 

If I am not hooking, or losing fish to hook pulls the hair is too short. 

3, you are not feeding enough to keep the fish interested, they are able to inspect every bait. Your pva bag mix may be just pellet and you could need boilies in there so the fish also pick up boilies on the hook. 

More feed altogether, so the fish get their heads down and munch. 

That is just 3 possible answers! 

3 hours ago, linus1234 said:

Also my test curve from my rod is 2.75 so i dont know if i should use such a heavy lead?

Are you tying your own rigs mate? As for leads I think I remember reading a good rule of thumb is for every lb your rod test curve is, use an ounce. So say you’re using a 2.5lb rod, 2.5 ounce lead would be a good casting weight.

most of my fishing is done with 2.75 tc rods, I normally use 2 - 2.5oz leads. But have done 3oz no problem.