Approaching a new water.

Darryl16)

How would you go about approaching a new water with very old, wily carp in? Natural baits? Ditch the boilles?.. The new club I've joined has a few waters, but from what I've gathered this is the hardest venue and is therefore the quietest which is ideal for me.  Its 2. 5 acres and holds a number of doubles apparently. 

36 minutes ago, Darryl16) said:

How would you go about approaching a new water with very old, wily carp in? Natural baits? Ditch the boilles?.. The new club I've joined has a few waters, but from what I've gathered this is the hardest venue and is therefore the quietest which is ideal for me.  Its 2. 5 acres and holds a number of doubles apparently. 

Hello , Darryl

Are you allowed to walk this water during the Lockdown ? ; I've just returned from my local lakes as the Manager of the lakes said it's o.k. to do as long as I don't fish .

I'm thinking that while it's quiet the old, wily carp may be off guard and it would be an ideal time to see how they react to different baits , NOT prebaiting , but literally a few grains of sweetcorn , a piece or 2 of bread etc ? .

😃 

18 hours ago, Darryl16) said:

Spend as much time as I can walking round it locating fish and spots they like, even if possible the features underwater, using a marker float and leading around or god forbid a Deeper😖😆

If possible prebait and watch the fishes reaction to bait.

To be honest, as the carp only go to doubles figures, unless silver fish are a problem, forget the boilies, go to cheaper 'natural' baits; sweetcorn, chick peas, maggots and particles, dosed with Vitalin or rolled maize.

I know particles, sweetcorn and chickpeas etc are not natural, but can create a feeding reaction before boilies.

Also find out from other anglers who do fish it what works best, then decide if you need to use boilies

9 minutes ago, Darryl16) said:

Thanks for the replies guys, shall Maybe go the particle route 👍

Exactly how I approached a small low stocked water about 10 years ago even tho all the advice was they don't respond to particle or spodding.

Used sweetcorn hemp and wild bird seed (the 1 with aniseed in) and stodged it up with some betane green gound bait, also like to blend a little up really fine to add a bit of a scent trail.

Used a KD rig with 1 piece of maize and a piece of pop up maize and did really well.