Float rod setup

jh92

I want to try float fishing on one of the lakes I fish, they have a rule for line being 8lb minimum.

Will a normal float rod be alright to use, or should I use something a bit stronger?

Tackle wise I'm gonna fish 8lb line straight through to a size 10 korda hook, float will be a standard wagler float held by a float band. 

I've fished for carp with a float before but these were about 3lb, the average size of fish in this lake is 20lb, so wondering if I should beef my gear up a little. Any advice would be great thanks 👍

A standard float/match rod is not designed to take 8lb line generally 2-4lb , some commercial carp or Tench type rods are fine with 4-6lb .You need to match the line with the rod to stronger line and you risk overloading the and breaking it !

If the carp are averaging 20lb then why not use a carp rod but just fish a float and why only a size 10 hook ?

A waggler is usually fished with the line running through the small eye on the base of the float either locked in place with a shot either side or float stops either side these are easier to adjust the depth or if fishing deep water as you can allow the float to run up to the top stop allowing you to bring it through the rod rings on retrieval.

If the water is snag free then using mainline straight through is fine but if your near snags then it may be worth upping the breaking strain but use a lighter hooklength that way if you get snagged the hook length will break .

As for hook size what bait are you going to use and how are you attaching the bait ?