Were Havin a social ?

elmoputney

I hear this phrase all the time and it really bugs me, 

What does it mean really ? 

I want to fish with my friend 

We want to get really drunk and camp

Me and my mate have got some weed and we're gonna smoke it together 

We don't want to fish effectively because we need two swims next door even though the fish are far away 

I don't really even like being that sociable in the bank, I am polite and do chat but I much prefer to watch the lake and will actively seek solice in anti social swims 😀

As tried and failed on here, trying to get a group together is a blooming nightmare!! 

I've got a pass for next weekend. 3 of my fishing pals want to have a get together (social), only two of them get on (they both don't like the odd one), but both want to fish different venues?? 🙄Private lake with a few 30's & cats to 70lb (my boy is desperate to have one) but for the same sort of money my other mate wants to go for our annual trip to Linear(no need to list stock😀) . My (&other guys) thoughts & doubts are, by the time we get to Linear, on the Friday night, most of the descent swims will be gone. 🤯🤯🤯

I tend to agree with you elmo, I'm not very sociable and as soon as you go with someone else, it gets blooming awkward!! 

I tried organising a social on the now defunct (s'why I'm here) Crafty Carper forum.... it's like herding cats... I gave up in the end... go out and do what you want yerself... that said an old workmate got in touch earlier on this week and we are going to have a day on Ashlyns in North Weald... chew the fat... have a rap and see if we can winkle one out... done 4 trips there blanked every time... turns out its a 365 day a year maggot water... couple of pints o' grubs... and some pva and maggot clips...  even if I blank... we'll be 'avin' a social.... wish me luck👍😎

In answer to your question I think the meaning 'a social ' has changed over the years . I used to see it as a group of anglers that fished the same water/waters but at different times all getting together once or twice a year and fishing together but also with a large element of chatting exchanging stories fish captures etc. 

Today i see it as meaning lets take half the lake over and all get [censored]ed / stoned and fudge the others that are trying for a peacefull fishing trip !

Its a term that gets used far to much IMO and is just an excuse to get slaughtered ..

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

I tried organising a social on the now defunct (s'why I'm here) Crafty Carper forum.... it's like herding cats... I gave up in the end... go out and do what you want yerself... that said an old workmate got in touch earlier on this week and we are going to have a day on Ashlyns in North Weald... chew the fat... have a rap and see if we can winkle one out... done 4 trips there blanked every time... turns out its a 365 day a year maggot water... couple of pints o' grubs... and some pva and maggot clips...  even if I blank... we'll be 'avin' a social.... wish me luck👍😎

Don't get me wrong I appreciate a big group of anglers like say from on here as an example and calling it a social but but when did a guy going fishing with his mate become a social ? 

3 minutes ago, oscsha said:

In answer to your question I think the meaning 'a social ' has changed over the years . I used to see it as a group of anglers that fished the same water/waters but at different times all getting together once or twice a year and fishing together but also with a large element of chatting exchanging stories fish captures etc. 

Today i see it as meaning lets take half the lake over and all get [censored]ed / stoned and fudge the others that are trying for a peacefull fishing trip !

Its a term that gets used far to much IMO and is just an excuse to get slaughtered ..

I think that is exactly what I am trying to say thanks :)

i also don't like any phrase with done bites in 

its done me a couple of bites 

meaning

i have caught a couple of fish from here previously 😀