Meaning of no fixed leads? HELP PLEASE

25 minutes ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

Hello all, I have recently took up carp fishing again after years of not doing it and just giving up but can someone please explain to me what “no fixed leads” actually mean? Does this mean no drop off lead clip systems. Hopefully I have found the place to ask this question as I don’t have a clue lol

Hi mate.

It means the lead must be able to come off in the event of a snag (so drop off lead clip systems are perfect).

By the way..... FTM🔴🔴💪

Just a quick question, does the lead drop off for that rig? I would need to use heli safe drop offs from korda Wouldn't I if I'm fishing a no fixed lead lake. Like I say i pretty fresh back into carp fishing so alot of things are new to me. Any tips about the best pops up to use would also be much appriciated 

14 minutes ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

Just a quick question, does the lead drop off for that rig? I would need to use heli safe drop offs from korda Wouldn't I if I'm fishing a no fixed lead lake. Like I say i pretty fresh back into carp fishing so alot of things are new to me. Any tips about the best pops up to use would also be much appriciated 

The Korda Heli-safes are most definitely NOT safe. You need the lead on a helicopter set-up to allow the rig to come off in the event of a crackoff. If the lead is ejected the fish can end up trailing rig and however much line as the line 'folds' on itself. It is the lead catching up, or dragging on the bottom, that allows the rig to come off the broken end.

Personally like Smufter I nearly always use Run Rings. They can be fished as a running lead with a slack line, or as a bolt rig with a tight line. If you get a break-off the run ring is able to slide over the broken end.

I don't like lead clips, they are too easy to use incorrectly. The original reason for a lead clip was so the lead could be removed at the end of a trip, instead they have become the 'lazy' fashion for lead ejection, in cases when it doesn't need to be, and also in cases the lead ejection does not work as intended. It only takes a bit of lakebed detritus to jam up the tail rubber, preventing the lead being ejected. A standard generic Korda type lead clip MUST be fixed to the hooklink swivel or quick clip so the lead clip cannot come off the swivel. As soon as it starts free, able to run up and down the line, the lead may become fixed onto the line. The tail rubber may be jammed with weed or silt, and it DOES happen.

Going back to helicopter rigs, they do not give you best indication. A fish can move a long way with no movement at the buzzer and indicator end. By far the best for indication, from personal experience and experimentation, is a totally running lead.

46 minutes ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

Just a quick question, does the lead drop off for that rig? I would need to use heli safe drop offs from korda Wouldn't I if I'm fishing a no fixed lead lake. Like I say i pretty fresh back into carp fishing so alot of things are new to me.

If the main line snaps the rig can come off a heli so the lead is not considered fixed mate. No need for a heli safe.

The heli safe does have a place imo - fished naked (no leader) is very weedy conditions. The safest set up is the one the gets the fish on the banks safely imo.

48 minutes ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

Any tips about the best pops up to use would also be much appriciated 

That is a very broad question buddy but a simple answer would be Proper Job Pop Ups. They're the most buoyant standard pop up out there and are available in loads of recipes/flavours.

I prefer a cork ball pop up but for standard pop ups Proper Jobs are the ones👍

FTM

33 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

The original reason for a lead clip was so the lead could be removed at the end of a trip

OK......

33 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Instead they have become the 'lazy' fashion for lead ejection

Not OK.....

What a load of tosh.

You should really be putting 'imo' at the end of comments like that so guys can see it's opinion and not fact Nick.

Almost all lead systems have a place for certain angling situations imo. I use a number of systems depending on what's in front of me. I reckon I use lead clips for more than half of my fishing. It's not because I'm lazy and it's not due to fashion. It's because they do the job I intend them to do.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

If the main line snaps the rig can come off a heli so the lead is not considered fixed mate. No need for a heli safe.

The heli safe does have a place imo - fished naked (no leader) is very weedy conditions. The safest set up is the one the gets the fish on the banks safely imo.

That is a very broad question buddy but a simple answer would be Proper Job Pop Ups. They're the most buoyant standard pop up out there and are available in loads of recipes/flavours.

I prefer a cork ball pop up but for standard pop ups Proper Jobs are the ones👍

FTM

Thanks for that mate, would I just need to buy a heli kit set up and put it onto my Mainline or should I buy them ready made on a leader? Then put a rig on, I want to tie my own rigs but ain’t sure about what line to use, could you advise me on that please. 

I’ll have a look online for Proper Job pop ups 

FTM 🔴🔴

1 hour ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

Thanks for that mate, would I just need to buy a heli kit set up and put it onto my Mainline or should I buy them ready made on a leader?

Completely up to you mate. It's cheaper to do them yourself but ready made are good if you've not done it before.

1 hour ago, TheSouthShieldsFisher said:

I want to tie my own rigs but ain’t sure about what line to use, could you advise me on that please. 

That's an even broader question lol. Different hooklinks/lines tend to be better for different rigs. Get on YouTube buddy, loads of info on there👍