My new wonder rig failed today

elmoputney

Hi guys 

I've been playing about with the mark bryant ultimate rig and I thought I had got to a point where I was chuffed to bits with it, 

It seemed to be presenting perfectly and with the addition of shrink tube I was getting the perfect angle on my hook,

However I got a screaming take earlier and it went about 10 yards before I picked up the rod was in contact with it clutch was set fine as it was stripping line then nothing, the rig had parted at the fluorocarbon section, not even at the knot just and it didn't look stretched or anything almost like I had cut it, would this be down to steaming the shrink tube ? As that's the only reason I have everything else had been checked all knots had been tightened prior to steaming so I thought it was ok 

Any thoughts on this as I don't want to lose anymore fish, luckily it's a barbless only rule there so it should lose it ok 

2 minutes ago, yonny said:

No. Sounds like a simple cut-off to me mate. It happens. I'd go up to a decent strong coated braid in that situation.

It was out in open water not far off the surface at the time so I don't think it cut off on anything in the water definately seems like a rig failure to me , I really want to use the fluorocarbon if I can as it looks lovely underwater but I can't have it failing on me as what's the point , I would've been gutted if it was st Ives, I will try and make a similar rig using tungsten loaded tonight and see what I can create, it was 20lb korda IQ fluorocarbon I was using btw 

I've always been a fan of Combi's and saw the Mark Bryant rig and have been using it as it is so easy to change the hook or use a bait screw/small swivel/ring within seconds. He uses a piece of silicon tube that automatically kicks out when slid over the hook so there is no need to use shrink tube. By doing so, it locks the hook and make it difficult to change things at will.

2 minutes ago, Golden Paws said:

I've always been a fan of Combi's and saw the Mark Bryant rig and have been using it as it is so easy to change the hook or use a bait screw/small swivel/ring within seconds. He uses a piece of silicon tube that automatically kicks out when slid over the hook so there is no need to use shrink tube. By doing so, it locks the hook and make it difficult to change things at will.

Which type of silicone do you use I didn't really like how the one I tried worked tbh looked ok to start with bit then after a while I found the pull of the pop up was straightening it out ,if that makes sense, 

And also which fluorocarbon are you using ? 

I really like the rig overall and it seems to work but I can't have failures and would like this to be a 1 off 

Thanks 

Elmo 

I've been having a play tonight and the conclusion I've drawn is I don't like korda IQ, I've noticed when tightening the knots down it's done a couple of strange things tonight one of them stretched and concertinered a bit, another one seemed to develop a nick in the fluorocarbon where none were before,which would almost certainly be a weak spot, I won't be using it again anyway, it just doesn't give me confidence 

so it's back to the drawing board may have found a solution to the silicone problem though wide gapes with there in turned eye that seemed to kick them over nicely , I might try using the avid pin down leader material in the morning I've been happy with my leaders so far so may work as a boom section 

If not I may just go back to tungsten loaded knotless knot and shrink tube,they used to work in the olden days quite well :)

mark bryant rig

Here is the video that shows the rig. I've used 15lb Korda IQ for years without any mishap but noticed that Mark uses 20lb. The Silicon Tube is 1.5mm and I use some from ESP. It really is a versatile rig and you can also adjust the length of the slip-D at will. Try the IQ again following the tips in the video and you shouldn't have any problems,

5 hours ago, Golden Paws said:

mark bryant rig

Here is the video that shows the rig. I've used 15lb Korda IQ for years without any mishap but noticed that Mark uses 20lb. The Silicon Tube is 1.5mm and I use some from ESP. It really is a versatile rig and you can also adjust the length of the slip-D at will. Try the IQ again following the tips in the video and you shouldn't have any problems,

I did that again this morning and actually I think I may not be whipping the knot well enough or something,when that knot is right it tightens quite easily, I may persevere for a bit longer as it might be down to human error and trying to make sure it was tight or not quite getting it right, 

5 hours ago, yonny said:

Stick with the Tungsten Loaded mate, I've had some very big fish from very weedy waters on that, it's really good stuff.

I did make quite a nice rig with the loaded this morning simple and effective,but looks like it would work and be reliable, 

I am now very much on board with the hook sharpening btw, my hooks are always sharp before they enter the water 

50 minutes ago, elmoputney said:

I am now very much on board with the hook sharpening btw

Good man. Did you struggle at first? I remember when I first started (a long time ago now lol), I must have wasted nearly a whole pack of hooks before I had one I was happy with - I found it tricky to get them pin sharp without shortening the point i.e. I was taking too much off.

Practice makes perfect - the more you do the better (sharper) you get, and the quicker the process becomes.

I've messed up a couple so far but I am fairly practical and have worked in an engineering type environment for a number of years dealing with steel and more recently carbon fibre, so I am quite comfortable doing them really, and actually I used to restore alloy wheels to a mirror finish when I used to mess around with cars so I just take my time and they seem to get sharper 👍

10 minutes ago, framey said:

I don’t make mine that sharp 

with about 6 or 7 swipes of a file and it kind of “ticks” if I touch the point and that is good enough for me 

I don’t make the points a mile long.

I think it's quite easy to go too far with it, I think about 6 or 7 seems right for me also, then when my extra fine file arrives will probably just do the same with that or less to get a smoother finish , which in theory will make the hook penetrate more easily, 

19 hours ago, framey said:

Not to keen on the pinky colour but a bit of dirt sorts that lol

That's actually a good tip , I never usually think to do that :)

What colour is best for silty choddy weedy bottoms ?

i just want to make a g string thong  :)

Edited by elmoputney

30 minutes ago, framey said:

They do a black and a green version as well

can you get silty weed lol

Ha I just want something that may blend Into both if possible :)

just takes out the guess work of what I am fishing on,  I guess that's why I am keen to stick with fluorocarbon, it helps with my colour blindness :)

• 3 weeks later...