bait rolling gear

done a few sessions now with my own made boilies and have had very good results so im looking to upgrade my rolling gear to cut down prep and rolling time (taking about hour per kilo atm)

theres a few different tables and guns out there ranging in price and wondered what peoples view are.

I don't mind the price (obviously not going pro so nothing to expensive) as long as the quality is good.

6 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

done a few sessions now with my own made boilies and have had very good results so im looking to upgrade my rolling gear to cut down prep and rolling time (taking about hour per kilo atm)

theres a few different tables and guns out there ranging in price and wondered what peoples view are.

I don't mind the price (obviously not going pro so nothing to expensive) as long as the quality is good

Have you ever seen the  carpcatchers bait making video on you tube  that may have a tip or two to help you speed it up a little? 

He has a production line going on In his kitchen, 

What set up are you using, I guess next level is pneumatic gun and one of these looks a lot quicker even with the manual version there is a video on the page of it working 

https://www.boilieroller.co.uk/bait-making-equipment

Have a look at caulking guns BTW you can get pneumatic ones of those and they may be cheaper and just as useful 

On 29 June 2019 at 11:36, harpz_31 said:

I don't mind the price (obviously not going pro so nothing to expensive) as long as the quality is good.

Even though I made a fair bit of bait myself I stuck with Gardner Bait guns and rolling table. I also only made 4 egg mixes, but could do 4 in an hour.

It was a case of mix a 4 egg mix and gun (or roll) into sausages and cut the unboiled balls, batch them for boiling into around a hundred at a time, (I used a big chip or catering pan ), and while the first lot was boiling (1.30min) would start mixing the next 4 eggs.

I would then have plenty of baits to boil and dry on an air drying tray or two. I would bag them into 500 or kilo bags after they had dried, or leave them air drying long term.

Just got my new gardner rolaball bait master and I've got to say I'm not impressed, I've not used it to roll yet but it doesn't slide very smoothly and catches because the 3 sections you have to screw together are slightly misaligned.

The way that the sections are attached (on the bottom only)means the middle bows up so the only way to get it flat it to screw it down

It's obvious that when it was designed the main focus was making it as cheaply as possible and a quality product was way down on the list.

On 8 July 2019 at 23:05, harpz_31 said:

Just got my new gardner rolaball bait master and I've got to say I'm not impressed, I've not used it to roll yet but it doesn't slide very smoothly and catches because the 3 sections you have to screw together are slightly misaligned.

The way that the sections are attached (on the bottom only)means the middle bows up so the only way to get it flat it to screw it down

It's obvious that when it was designed the main focus was making it as cheaply as possible and a quality product was way down on the list.

12 hours ago, harpz_31 said:

20190710_202541.thumb.jpg.934a2b820990c9abd8c29665863e2509.jpg

Gardner sausage gun for sale only used 3 times

Anyone recommend a gun please

Those guns do die quickly, especially if the mix is too dry, the caulking guns are the same, I have killed a number with thick mastic or putty.

As much as I hated spending the money, https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/gardner-deluxe-sausage-gun

When it comes to rolling tables, don't bother with the longbase, just use the standard rolling table. I found it faster than the longbase.

• 3 months later...
On 11/07/2019 at 15:25, 760 said:

These are the rolling guns I've been using, they last for ages! I'm about to replace the one I have as it's finally worn out. I knock up several kilos on a weekly basis, I always keep a Kg or two in the freezer so I've got bait if a chance for a bankside visit appears, plus I try keep a Kg or two going into the lake on a weekly basis, even if I'm not fishing, just to keep the carp interested in my bait and eating it risk free. 

I use a small gardener rolling table, i find that if I have a little measuring guide, then I just gun out all the mix into sausages that are cut to the right length using my measuring guide, then I place two sausages in the rolling table with a large enough gap between them so they don't get mashed together through the rolling action. Give them a quick going over with the table, tip them out into an old plastic Tupperware box then another two sausages etc etc until all my pre prepared sausages are used up. 

then refill the gun, measure out and cut the sausages and repeat. Doing it this way, rather than measuring out the sausage, then rolling, then measuring out another sausage then rolling... Etc was usually quicker. 

Either way, the rolling table is much faster than the old method of rolling each individual boilie by hand!!