Deer/Feed corn/maize as bait or chum?

So I’m a carp fisherman here in the United States, NE region. The majority of my method mix, groundbait, packbait, stuff for pre-baitin, whatever you call it is made of oats, flavoring, (usually jello packets!) sweet corn, and sometimes bird seed. I have been able to find large bags of oats and bird seed at the local feed store and I was wondering if I can use deer/feed corn? I’ve seen people say you have to boil it??? What does this do, I’m assuming make it soft, but if I just want to use it for chumming do I need to? As I won’t need to put it on a hair... any information on this and other potential good mixes of any kind would be appreciated! (New here btw)

The exact bag at the local feed store is featured in the image 

CBFB26C1-0682-4554-8257-D7990F32F11C.jpeg

The reason for boiling & soaking for 24hrs is digestion by the fish. Possibly also releasing the natural oils, attractants. 

There's far more knowlagable members on here to fill in the blanks. 

Over hear its reffered to as particle mix. Loose feed rather than chumming, which makes me think of Jaws!! 😎 

Ive used particles in the past but it tends to attract nuisance species, so tend to just use boilies for my quarry! 

@alake223_05 Welcome to Carp.com.

I think from the packing, it is what we refer to as maize in the UK. To use it it needs soaking for 24 hours then boiling for around 20 minutes. A good bait as a mass feed and as a hookbait.

I buy whole corn as well, and usually mix it with a few other grains and pulses before soaking and cooking.  If you aren't going to use the kernels for hookbait (and it is great bait), you can cut out the soak time by buying rolled corn instead, and just bringing it to a boil then cooking on medium for an hour. 

5 hours ago, buzzbomb said:

I buy whole corn as well, and usually mix it with a few other grains and pulses before soaking and cooking.  If you aren't going to use the kernels for hookbait (and it is great bait), you can cut out the soak time by buying rolled corn instead, and just bringing it to a boil then cooking on medium for an hour. 

36 minutes ago, alake223_05 said:

Okay, would that be like cracked corn or... I’m not sure what you mean? Maybe this (see attached image)

Buzz is on your side of the Atlantic my man, his wording & understanding of your products should help. 

With corn, maize cracked, flaked. If it's hard, boil & soak it buddy!! You can't go wrong, better to be 100% safe, we take fish safety very seriously this side of the pond. 

What strain of carp are you catching?? 

What kind of size are you getting?? 

6 minutes ago, commonly said:

Buzz is on your side of the Atlantic my man, his wording & understanding of your products should help. 

With corn, maize cracked, flaked. If it's hard, boil & soak it buddy!! You can't go wrong, better to be 100% safe, we take fish safety very seriously this side of the pond. 

What strain of carp are you catching?? 

What kind of size are you getting?? 

Yah, I take fish health seriously too my friend, don’t want fish poppin up dead... here up north I can get into the 10-15 range commons without a fit, down in Texas I was able to get in the 15-20 not to hard both with commons and grass. Unfortunately no pretty mirrors here, or if there are they are few and far between!

11 hours ago, alake223_05 said:

Okay, would that be like cracked corn or... I’m not sure what you mean? Maybe this (see attached image)

5C2D40AF-6F48-410E-AD47-A87F95FE22E1.jpeg

No that's not right. Micronized corn looks like cornflakes, it is used in lots of mixed feeds for dogs, horses, sheep, cattle etc. It looks like corn flakes! its precooked to help release all the goodness and the rolled and dried. Many thousands of tonnes are fed to carp asis every year. But if in doubt soak and boil!. If you re boil micronized corn you lose all the sweetness, protein etc.