Recommend some lines for me....

Right then, rods sorted....hopefully reels by the end of the day. 

I'm trying to be as technical as possibly with my approach - not so much for the carp but for myself. Trying to main diligent rather than pillocking about!

So - covering as many bases as possible (I won't always carry this stuff, but want to keep my options simple).

Rod 1-3:  Spool 1 - 15lb mono - I'm thinking GT HD or Pro 15
                Spool 2 - 20lb mono - Not sure, something that will be a different tone to spool 1 to give some more options. Probably I want this one for clearer water thinking about where I want to end up

Rod 4:     The quick change rod - this one is for when I spot something in the margins (generally I fish at 80-120 range at a guess) so I can reel one in and be ready to drop straight out again....
               Spool 1 - 20lb fluorocarbon - suitable for heavy snag fishing and getting sunk quickly in the margins
               Spool 2 - 15lb floating line - ready for surface fishing should the weather and mood take me

Rod 5:     The Broom Stick rod - just want it set up separately as I hope to go after my first catfish later in the year 
              Spool 1 - ?!?! - No idea where to start here. Preferably not a braided mainline. 
              Spool 2 - Something for piking it out in winter

Rod 6:    The Spod Rod
              Spool 1 - Already has 15lb Fox Spod/Marker Braid
              No second spool....

As an added bonus I'm trying to set up myself with all the same reels so each spool is interchangeable too! Not necessary but an added bonus.

So, given my specs, let me know what I should be looking at for loading up. And if anyone knows where to get 1000m+ on a roll let me know!

I hope the lids have started to thaw off for you - t'other brother said Wentworth was iced over on the walk around yesterday. 

Cheers, 
Jim

Edited by The Anglin' Brothers

1 hour ago, The Anglin' Brothers said:

Right then, rods sorted....hopefully reels by the end of the day. 

I'm trying to be as technical as possibly with my approach - not so much for the carp but for myself. Trying to main diligent rather than pillocking about!

So - covering as many bases as possible (I won't always carry this stuff, but want to keep my options simple).

Rod 1-3:  Spool 1 - 15lb mono - I'm thinking GT HD or Pro 15
                Spool 2 - 20lb mono - Not sure, something that will be a different tone to spool 1 to give some more options. Probably I want this one for clearer water thinking about where I want to end up

Rod 4:     The quick change rod - this one is for when I spot something in the margins (generally I fish at 80-120 range at a guess) so I can reel one in and be ready to drop straight out again....
               Spool 1 - 20lb fluorocarbon - suitable for heavy snag fishing and getting sunk quickly in the margins
               Spool 2 - 15lb floating line - ready for surface fishing should the weather and mood take me

Rod 5:     The Broom Stick rod - just want it set up separately as I hope to go after my first catfish later in the year 
              Spool 1 - ?!?! - No idea where to start here. Preferably not a braided mainline. 
              Spool 2 - Something for piking it out in winter

Rod 6:    The Spod Rod
              Spool 1 - Already has 15lb Fox Spod/Marker Braid
              No second spool....

As an added bonus I'm trying to set up myself with all the same reels so each spool is interchangeable too! Not necessary but an added bonus.

So, given my specs, let me know what I should be looking at for loading up. And if anyone knows where to get 1000m+ on a roll let me know!

I hope the lids have started to thaw off for you - t'other brother said Wentworth was iced over on the walk around yesterday. 

Cheers, 
Jim

http://www.tacklebox.co.uk/tackle-box-line-test.html#/cmsPage/32

Hi Jim

Take a look at the link attached...1 of the guys on here supplied in another Topic...u may be surprised at some of the facts given..

Right, after looking around and doing some digging I figured this....

Shimano Aero Specimen 18lb.

It seem Shimano manufacture about +30% tolerance into their line - based on that chart it seems consistent. I hope that it would be through their range, but that is where that chart puts the curve ball in. 
It also appears that they are reasonably consistent with their advertised line diameters. 

Theoretically, then, if you would be prepared to accept these positives and ignore the potential that their Aero line could fall outside the above tolerances (certainly possible) then the 18 should run between 23-26lb average at 0.36mm?! Sounds reasonably good to me. If you factor cost into it too then even better. 

So, forget the second spools and just load up with this for the season I think. My only concern is how well it breaks surface tension to start sinking and how supple it is. Any guesses?

And yeah, brilliant link mate, properly helped me out!

Otherwise, it'll be back on to Daiwa Sensor and we'll deal with some springing!

1 hour ago, dayvid said:

Cracking info that Highy

7 minutes ago, commonly said:

You were on the money 1st off Imo, GT HD on my spools. No springing as yet been on my reels for 6 months or so. 

I have X line (fluro) on my spares

Gardner HD floater line

I had the GThd at 1st but didnt reely sit right with me...upgraded all rods reels...so invested in new line...after trying the ESP Syncro..was ok..but then went to Daiwa Sensor CLEAR after lots of looking and research...also the info on the attachment helped too..

32 minutes ago, commonly said:

You were on the money 1st off Imo, GT HD on my spools. No springing as yet been on my reels for 6 months or so. 

I have X line (fluro) on my spares

Gardner HD floater line

To be honest they were on my list first time around until I went through the chart. 

23 minutes ago, Highy said:

I had the GThd at 1st but didnt reely sit right with me...upgraded all rods reels...so invested in new line...after trying the ESP Syncro..was ok..but then went to Daiwa Sensor CLEAR after lots of looking and research...also the info on the attachment helped too..

Yeah, tough to dispute the Daiwa sensor clear to be honest. It was springy on my Shimano which put me off it. You generally fishing murky or clear waters? I remember the Sensor sinks alright. I think it was maybe the line diameter was marginally higher than the Shimano which put me off it?

Personally I found Daiwa Sensor in clear was not as supple or as good as the brown. It did not knot as well. In fact most clear lines are not as supple or 'soft' as dyed/coloured lines.

I use pretty much one line for all, my rods are spooled up with Gardner Pro, for long or short distance fishing, and I use the same on my 15lb surface fishing line, but I do treat it with Kryston Greased Lightning which makes it float better. The same line is on my spod rod with a shockleader, and my marker rod has Berkley Gorilla line on it, I think, been on there for over 10years with no deterioration, so I think that was my last refill.

My lower breaking strain surface set-up had 8lb mono on, Drennan Feeder line, again it gets treated with Greased Lightning. I use a feeder line because it is tough, can handle abrasion against lilies etc.

If I do need low visibility fluorocarbon type line for my normal fishing, I use P-line Floroclear, a co-polymer with a fluorocarbon coating. It does not cast as well as standard mono.

My pike fishing reel spools  are loaded with 50lb Berkley Whiplash braid, I actually get a 300m spool and split it across 2 reels. The only way I will put a bait out over 150metres is if I am drifting baits on the ressie.