Particles or boilies

Tree123

Just as a point of  discussion. While I'm dat on my tod today waiting which do you  think are better?

I'm normally a boilie fan but next season  once the wayer earmd back again due to the cost of particles and the fan everyone else seems to fish boilies I'm going over to a hemp maize  tiger plan to do something a bit different. 

Edited by Tree123

Depends on the angling situation for me.

If I want to catch one carp, any carp, from a given water, I'll not look past corn/hemp/tigers.

If I want to catch the lakes population of bigguns over the course of a prolonged period (which is normally the case), it'll be boilies, all day.

Imo hemp/maize/tigers is not something a bit different. There's not many carp waters in the country that don't see this approach every day.

I do use plenty of particle, but it's normally either to get the fish feeding on my boilies (I believe particle is more readily accepted initially), or to bulk out my boilies on the spot. For a prolonged effort, to really empty a lake, particle cannot compare to a decent boilie imo.

Tbh I'm juat after getting a few fish theese days especially  on one of my lakes which is basically a runs water.

I dont have the time or money to sit there and fill it in with  boikies for the bigger fish and as I've said before with the river I do a lot of prebaiting so cost is big factor. 

I get what your saying about the hemp tiger combo  just because  I dont see people using it doesn't mean people aren't 

Almost every lake sees particles, hemp, tigers and maize, which to be fair are brilliant baits. They catch fish, but can attract silvers, even the supposedly bream proof tigers. I have lost count of the tench and bream I have caught on tigers!

Particle beds are good for attracting fish full stop, but on occasions, I have found bream and tench get onto them so heavily that carp can't get a look in to feed themselves.

I have caught more big fish over just boilies.

2 hours ago, Tree123 said:

On my runs  water I find that  once  you catch a few bream the  carp will move in.

Plus it might be bit of a flase encomcy. And as ill have to reinvest in spod rod. Plus it's another thing to carry 

Doesn't always work that way though.😉

On Earith, with one exception, over a gravel bar with big depth changes, putting particles in on a flatter area of lakebed attracted tench and bream and they would not move away, or the carp would not come in.

On Ardleigh, usually loads of groundbait and particles was bream, with maybe a carp if you were lucky, although if carp got there first you could catch one or two. Saying that 12 bream in a 'work overnighter' hoping for a carp was not fun. I did only once have a double figure carp when bream were feeding, although John Wilson (RIP) managed bream with a decent carp in a Go Fishing episode from there.

Even on the river, I found carp would leave sweetcorn alone for a few days, until it started to go dirty grey. Tench and bream would munch it on introduction if in the area, but carp (whose patrol route I had noted) would ignore it at first until it was dirty.

To be honest, a lot of it is knowing the water, and how the fish react.

23 minutes ago, Ginger9991 said:

For this runs water and in the interest of keeping cost down, use alternatives, Pigeon conditioner, Maples, Maize, Vitalin, Groats. Hemp is great, But i have done a season without using hemp and i still caught well enough.

Let's face it on an overstocked runs water you can get away with chucking anything in.

For me, hemp stands above all other particles.

like most people have said it differs from lake to lake but ill never go onto a new lake and rule either method out, even if im told its a boilie water ill still use particle and see for myself.

I haven't fished particle for a few year due to the amount of bream I was getting on my current water but I would usually fish at least 1 rod on particle.

5 minutes ago, yonny said:

Let's face it on an overstocked runs water you can get away with chucking anything in.

For me, hemp stands above all other particles.

Tbh ill always throw  in some extra hemp in.

Just while on subject of particles  is there such a thing a pva freindly tigers?