Floater fishing in Autumn.

Dicky123

13 minutes ago, Dicky123 said:

Does anyone use floaters much in the Autumn, and any tips please?

Rich.

I have done right through the winter in the past.

Don't hammer it .

Just trickle a few floaters in likely areas.

Shallower areas that are warmer or areas with a lot of overhangs are a good start.

I've actually caught off the top before as the frost was starting to settle on the ground.

That was a well stocked venue though.

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Fed one of the lakes yesterday with pellet & flaked maze,  the fish were hitting the little bits of maze that floated. They definitely could of been caught off the top.  Cold snap coming end of the week so that may well change. 

My dad was fishing a lake in Ipswich yesterday and said he had a few proper lumps feeding off the top.

Didn't manage to hook one though.

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Gutting,  nothing better than surface fishing . I've  never tried it in the depths of winter , but remember you talking about it with some results .  I suppose if you spot one in the margin give it a go ? Just a single bait if needs be could do it .

If you think about how successful zigs are now  during winter then it makes sense that it's more than possible to still catch off the surface.

I know a bloke who was fishing my club lake in January.

Hadn't had a beep for 2 days and it was about 3 degrees.

He cast out a lump of bread on an overdepth zig about 8pm and had 1 in the net within an hour.

8 hours ago, Dicky123 said:

Thanks, I'm thinking of a water where in summer the fish love a floater. I expect the best days would be mild, and a bit windy. I'll give it a try maybe even bread crust could work, doubt these fish have seen bread for 30 years?  Thanks all, Rich.

Don't neglect the evenings or the hours of darkness mate.

Had my best floater sessions in the dark.

I can think of a couple of lakes around Ipswich that fish are still taking floaters, Bromeswell, Melton, possibly the park lake...

It can work even in the depths of winter on some lakes, just try it. I have found bread is a better floater bait in autumn and winter than hard dog biscuits, maybe because it is softer and the energy reduced to crunch the baits? Saying that the big  Bakers rectangular biscuits in the complete make a good hookbait as they are softer, but the size can be offputting.