Flavour of the Week - Shelters

I'm thinking of continuing Vik's flavour of the week threads and thought shelters would be a good'n to cover.

Imo there's no such thing as the perfect shelter. There's shelters that do certain things perfectly but they'll fall short at doing something else. A really good all rounder is the Armo, of which I've had a couple and liked them a lot, but they're quite heavy (~12/13 kg) hence I ditched them in favour of a lighter alternative to suit my mobile angling approach. Therefore my choice of shelter is made based solely on weight and ease/speed of set-up.

I absolutely loved the mk1 Supa Brolly. I'm aware quite a few peeps had problems with them leaking but I have to say mine was the nuts. No issues with quality whatsoever. It was light (4.5 kg) and reasonably quick to erect/take down. However, Fox did the unthinkable and released the mk2 which used the thicker Ventec material (imo this was a really stupid mistake - they tried to solve the leaking problem by changing the material when it wasn't the material that was leaking at all, it was the bell cap!). This increased weight to 6.5 kg therefore when my mk1 was worn out from dragging it round gravel pits I knew I needed a different option.

I 'ummed' and 'arred' for ages about what to get and very nearly bought a Tempest Brolly (4 kg and quicker to erect than the Supa) after seeing a few mates with them. That was until ESP released the Lo Pro.

The Lo Pro, for my kind of angling, is about as close to perfect as you'll get. It weighs a minuscule 3.3 kg, lightest on the market. It can be set up in about a minute, and taken down in a minute and a half at a guess. Whereas before when I had the Armo's and needed to move to stay on fish I'd look at my set up and dread it, with the Lo Pro it's easy just to pull it down and chuck it on the barrow. It's so easy and quick to put up I'll often chance it and not bother - if it starts to rain I can always whack it up in 60 seconds.

There is of course a price for this weight/ease and that is space.... it's not the biggest shelter I've ever had. At 6 ft 3" I'm not the smallest fella in the world either so while it's fine for sleeping in (it takes my compact bedchair easily) it aint the most comfortable to sit in. I have to lean slightly forward so's not to hit my head on the brolly mechanism. This is usually no problem as I'm out and about looking, up trees, on the move.... However, when we see heavy rain it's a bit of a ball-ache sitting all scrunched up trying to stay dry. But.... that is a sacrifice I'm prepared to make to stay mobile. Comfort is low on my list of priorities.

The material aint very thick either, but I don't mind that one bit, it is where the weight is saved. I've been using it maybe a year now with no leaking or similar issues. No tears. Not a problem.

I saw Trakker released the v2 of the Tempest Brolly which has increased in weight (noooooo)!!! That eliminates it from my thoughts when the time comes to replace the Lo Pro. Nash bought out the hide which is lighter than the TB meaning it's a genuine option, and it looks quicker to erect than the TB too. But if I'm honest, if I had to buy tomorrow, I'd get another Lo Pro. Yes it's small, yes it looks flimsy due to the thin material, but when I'm on the move with all my kit 5 minutes after seeing a carp bosh down the other end of the pit it all seems worth it.

So lads, what are your priorities when it comes to a shelter and what did you buy with those in mind??

I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread. I’ve had my JRC Stealth brolly for nearly 9 years now 😳 and tbf it’s been bullet proof. Just starting to have a little leak in one place but seeing as I’ve never re treated it i suppose I was due a leak sooner rather than later.🙄😬

My main priorities for a shelter has to be durability. My local water is on the Mersey estuary and the wind/weather is brutal. It’s seen off countless Brolly/Bivvies over the years 🙄🙄😆😆

So ideally something that’s rock solid. The  Stealth has done me proud,but as you can imagine after 9 years use it’s looking a bit tatty now. 🙄

I have the same thoughts as @yonny for my shelter choice. Lightweight & quick. 

For the last 3 years I have used and abused my JRC STI 2 rib shelter (now replaced by the JRC Defender Shelter) through all sorts of conditions. I have the overwrap for the colder and wetter months too. It's now coming to the end of it's life, with a tear at a pegging point, a broken zip on the wrap and various other little things. None of which make it unusable however. Altogether I think the shelter and wrap cost me £150 all in. So not bad value IMO for the use i've got out of it. It's withstood some brutal winds, snow, heavy rains, everything thrown at it and not once has it let me down. It weighs in at a mere 5.5kg which isn't bad, with the overwrap 2.4kg. Just under 8kg combined. It's very spacious too, I fit all my kit in there no problems, but then I do try to travel fairly light when I fish.

As I said, i'm now on the lookout for a replacement, I may go with the Defender shelter as above and replace it like for like almost. The chub outkast shelter is very similar, slightly more expensive & heavier but has a couple of extra features. Both of these come in at sub £200 for shelter and overwrap. I have been looking at brollies, especially the ESP Hideout, but still cant get my head around having something to hit your head on all the time! 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

I have been looking at brollies, especially the ESP Hideout, but still cant get my head around having something to hit your head on all the time! 

The Hideout is a size up from the Lo Pro buddy so it might not be as bad. I've not seen one set up yet so couldn't confirm.

4 minutes ago, yonny said:

The Hideout is a size up from the Lo Pro buddy so it might not be as bad. I've not seen one set up yet so couldn't confirm.

Neither have I mate, hopefully someone will have done on here to give an honest opinion. Not looking at replacing until the new year, I reckon mine will last me until then. maybe something revolutionary will be on the market by then! 

I had the supa mk1, and thought it could never be bettered. I was wrong. I now have the lo pro, weight isn't such an issue but set up and breakdown time is, especially when I need to move onto fish. I do overnighters, so every minute counts and believe me it counts when your packing up in the rain.

My most important factors

Quick set up and breakdown

No faffing bits and pieces 

Removable centre pole

Light

Everything on this brolly is designed to make it quick and easy and I absolutely love it, so much so I got the mozzi mesh cover which again is really easy to fit. 

I don't mind it being so low as I have 2 storm poles with quick adapters, which are a doddle to use.

All in all, perfect for my fishing 

IMG_20180803_204035_449.jpg

Edited by Gazlaaar

6 hours ago, greekskii said:

Neither have I mate, hopefully someone will have done on here to give an honest opinion. Not looking at replacing until the new year, I reckon mine will last me until then. maybe something revolutionary will be on the market by then! 

Had an ESP Hideout for a couple of months now. Paid £170 delivered. So far, very pleased. Its certainly light, flexible and large enough for a wide bedchair. The door height allows me to sit on the edge of the bed without stooping to see. The material is very thin but no issues so far. I’ll be using till winter when the bivvy will come out.

I've got a Union Jack M3 that I can't remember the last time I used. Also have an Aqua Aqualite that I used for a few nights earlier this year, first time out in years.

Every other news night I done over the last four or five years has been under my Nash Groundhog. It's not the lightest, but light enough, has a really good coverage and the material seems bombproof. It's quick and easy to put up and pack away, it's rare for me to put in more than three pegs. I always pack it away with the stormpoles attached and have never worried about packing it away wet.

As and when it gives up I'll get another one.

1 hour ago, Pete Springate's Guns said:

Had an ESP Hideout for a couple of months now. Paid £170 delivered. So far, very pleased. Its certainly light, flexible and large enough for a wide bedchair. The door height allows me to sit on the edge of the bed without stooping to see. The material is very thin but no issues so far. I’ll be using till winter when the bivvy will come out.

So it’s not a winter shelter then? I normally just use the same thing all year round. 

12 hours ago, yonny said:

So lads, what are your priorities when it comes to a shelter and what did you buy with those in mind??

I used a jrc stealth brolly system for about 10 yrs before I had a break from fishing, it never got re coated and it never let me down. I absolutely loved it...… Small and compact on the out side, but somehow, loads of space inside, before that, always had a brolly ranging from 45" canvas type until sometime in the early 90's I bought a wavelock nubrolly it had a rubbery material and was like lugging an anvil around...…..

Tbh, I've never been able to achieve the same level of "I don't know what", call it comfort, but that doesn't really explain it, since I ditched the Stealth system. Yes it was a bit on the heavy side, and it used to get a puddle above the doorway in heavy rain (I used to rub a candle on the stitching now and then above the doorway, just in case it leaked, but it never did).. It was rock solid once pegged and storm poled, and so many door and window options as well as a zip in/out panel, I have to say , that even to this day it is the most versatile shelter I have ever owned..... It's still being used by the lad I gave it to and is at least 15yrs old...….

Since getting back into it all, finding the right shelter has been the biggest pain in the backside for me..... Started with a budget brolly system, Carp zone , Similar in design to the JRC Stealth and not bad for £130... But as soon as I put it through some serious weather, realised it wasn't really up to it..... So, after deliberating, went for a used Tempest Brolly, have to say, I hated it. It's not a brolly, it's a bivvy and takes a lot longer than a brolly to set up and I didn't like the thin material, and in true Trakker style, you have to spend extra on other bits in order to have a complete set up... Once you add that lot up, I feel it's a bit overpriced for what it is... Luckily got what I paid for it and the wrap.... Next up was a used mk1 fox supa,50" really liked it and used it in conjunction with a mk2 cammo wrap.... Perfect combo for my kind of fishing, tiny shelter cammo'd up , close in, like being in a bird hide...… However, the wrap was a really tight fit and to get it all spot on was a bit of a fiddle about and had to be on the lowest peg setting...… I've got to say though, that the wrap is brilliant, really lightweight and a blackout coating on the inside to block out the sunlight and any bivvy lights from the inside totally blocked out...……. I outed it before it sprung a leak and also because it wasn't perfect and I was having a clear out (bloke got a bargain £50 all in)…….

This brings me to my current brolly set up, Which is the Cyprinus version of the Aqua fast and light 55"..... Really like it, extended storm sides, magnet sticks and an extra rib above the doorway to allow better run off and forms a tiny peak. Think it ways in at 4.5 kg without the extras. And for £95 a steal. Although light in weight, the material is quite thick and has a blackout effect too. I bought a wrap for it, which meant buying some extra sticks for the front (side sticks came with it). The wrap is lightweight at 2kg...…… I haven't used this set up much as it's fairly new, but so far so good. I had it all set up in the garden with the wrap and extra poles ( like you do), and it's rock solid with the extra poles, so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok in severe conditions......

I also own a Trakker Cayman bivvy with wrap, which served me really well a couple of winters back. Being quite small, easy to keep warm inside with a large peak that helps create an extra porch area when the wrap is on, for mucky boots and buckets etc...… The Cayman is a brilliant little bivvy imo and at £250 with wrap (at the time), I thought was good value from Trakker, they put some nice little touches on their shelters that make life easier, especially the elasticated pegging points and on both of their shelters I've owned, the wraps are actually held off the main shelter by spokes or frame bars, which virtually eliminates condensation and gives a more thermal effect, I just think their price points are a bit out of reach for a lot of anglers...…. The Cayman price was pretty good, I doubt I'll part with it, even though I don't use it much, it definitely has a place for winter sessions , when I can blank in comfort , should I wish...……..

Ok, so there is a familiar theme to my shelters...…. Compact and with an infill or wrap, whatever time of year...…. I just try not to be there, when I'm there, I like close in fishing and want to be hidden away, like I mentioned before, almost like being in a bird hide. If I light a smoke or stove I don't want to spook a sparrow, that might spook a moorhen etc, I don't need to see the entire lake, or any of it really, my traps are set in places I know the fish visit, so being tucked away is important to me...…….. The larger place I'm starting on this month will be different at times, so I'm hoping that the Fast and Light will prove it's worth if I need to be mobile, the wrap , all 2kg of it, will be stowed in an under barrow bag......

So after much trial and error, buying and trying and clearing out I'm finally settled on a couple of shelters that cover every situation for me. My advice to anyone is, that if you currently own a shelter (or any kit) you really like, then take especially good care of it, because these days, products are discontinued as soon as they hit the shelves, you may never be able to buy a replica. 🙂

7 hours ago, B.C. said:

I used a jrc stealth brolly system for about 10 yrs before I had a break from fishing, it never got re coated and it never let me down. I absolutely loved it...… Small and compact on the out side, but somehow, loads of space inside, before that, always had a brolly ranging from 45" canvas type until sometime in the early 90's I bought a wavelock nubrolly it had a rubbery material and was like lugging an anvil around...…..

Tbh, I've never been able to achieve the same level of "I don't know what", call it comfort, but that doesn't really explain it, since I ditched the Stealth system. Yes it was a bit on the heavy side, and it used to get a puddle above the doorway in heavy rain (I used to rub a candle on the stitching now and then above the doorway, just in case it leaked, but it never did).. It was rock solid once pegged and storm poled, and so many door and window options as well as a zip in/out panel, I have to say , that even to this day it is the most versatile shelter I have ever owned..... It's still being used by the lad I gave it to and is at least 15yrs old...….

Since getting back into it all, finding the right shelter has been the biggest pain in the backside for me..... Started with a budget brolly system, Carp zone , Similar in design to the JRC Stealth and not bad for £130... But as soon as I put it through some serious weather, realised it wasn't really up to it..... So, after deliberating, went for a used Tempest Brolly, have to say, I hated it. It's not a brolly, it's a bivvy and takes a lot longer than a brolly to set up and I didn't like the thin material, and in true Trakker style, you have to spend extra on other bits in order to have a complete set up... Once you add that lot up, I feel it's a bit overpriced for what it is... Luckily got what I paid for it and the wrap.... Next up was a used mk1 fox supa,50" really liked it and used it in conjunction with a mk2 cammo wrap.... Perfect combo for my kind of fishing, tiny shelter cammo'd up , close in, like being in a bird hide...… However, the wrap was a really tight fit and to get it all spot on was a bit of a fiddle about and had to be on the lowest peg setting...… I've got to say though, that the wrap is brilliant, really lightweight and a blackout coating on the inside to block out the sunlight and any bivvy lights from the inside totally blocked out...……. I outed it before it sprung a leak and also because it wasn't perfect and I was having a clear out (bloke got a bargain £50 all in)…….

This brings me to my current brolly set up, Which is the Cyprinus version of the Aqua fast and light 55"..... Really like it, extended storm sides, magnet sticks and an extra rib above the doorway to allow better run off and forms a tiny peak. Think it ways in at 4.5 kg without the extras. And for £95 a steal. Although light in weight, the material is quite thick and has a blackout effect too. I bought a wrap for it, which meant buying some extra sticks for the front (side sticks came with it). The wrap is lightweight at 2kg...…… I haven't used this set up much as it's fairly new, but so far so good. I had it all set up in the garden with the wrap and extra poles ( like you do), and it's rock solid with the extra poles, so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok in severe conditions......

I also own a Trakker Cayman bivvy with wrap, which served me really well a couple of winters back. Being quite small, easy to keep warm inside with a large peak that helps create an extra porch area when the wrap is on, for mucky boots and buckets etc...… The Cayman is a brilliant little bivvy imo and at £250 with wrap (at the time), I thought was good value from Trakker, they put some nice little touches on their shelters that make life easier, especially the elasticated pegging points and on both of their shelters I've owned, the wraps are actually held off the main shelter by spokes or frame bars, which virtually eliminates condensation and gives a more thermal effect, I just think their price points are a bit out of reach for a lot of anglers...…. The Cayman price was pretty good, I doubt I'll part with it, even though I don't use it much, it definitely has a place for winter sessions , when I can blank in comfort , should I wish...……..

Ok, so there is a familiar theme to my shelters...…. Compact and with an infill or wrap, whatever time of year...…. I just try not to be there, when I'm there, I like close in fishing and want to be hidden away, like I mentioned before, almost like being in a bird hide. If I light a smoke or stove I don't want to spook a sparrow, that might spook a moorhen etc, I don't need to see the entire lake, or any of it really, my traps are set in places I know the fish visit, so being tucked away is important to me...…….. The larger place I'm starting on this month will be different at times, so I'm hoping that the Fast and Light will prove it's worth if I need to be mobile, the wrap , all 2kg of it, will be stowed in an under barrow bag......

So after much trial and error, buying and trying and clearing out I'm finally settled on a couple of shelters that cover every situation for me. My advice to anyone is, that if you currently own a shelter (or any kit) you really like, then take especially good care of it, because these days, products are discontinued as soon as they hit the shelves, you may never be able to buy a replica. 🙂

Good read BC 😎

Sod buying a new shelter I’ll just give my Stealth some TLC. As you’ve said it really is bulletproof.

The shelters I have been through over the years...😮

Home made overwrap over a brolly, Steadefast 50 inch brolly, Jekh shelter overwrap, Fox EasyDome original, Hutchy Apotheosis, JRC Roamer Dome, Nash Outlaw Hurricane shelter, Fox EasyDome again, TFG Hardcore Brolly, TFG Oval brolly and overwrap. I might have missed some out in that list.

I never bought into the pramhood bivvy being the best, I always thought they were too big and heavy. The EasyDomes and Apotheosis bivvies are the best I have used in winter, but are standard camping style tents just in a green colour. The Apotheosis packed away smaller than the EasyDome, but the EasyDome was quicker to set up, although the inner capsule was quite small.

The JRC Roamer dome was ok, but I didn't like how easily the fibreglass poles delaminated, its replacement the Nash Outlaw is still around, although my heavy handed treatment has broken an aluminium pole, which a sleeve fixed.

The TFG Hardcore brolly didn't like being put up facing into winter winds, and while massive inside, no overwrap meant it was quite cold. 

So we go back to the various brollies with an overwrap. I honestly think now after years of fishing they are the best option for my fishing.

The current TFG Oval provides the room I need, it does seem bigger than the 50inch and Jekh shelter, either that or I have gotten tidier over the years.😆😉

My biggest gripe about bivvies from many manufacturers is the cost. Fox, Nash and the like now do charge premium prices for gear that is not necessarily premium gear, hence my preference for some other brands

I like B.C.'s post, especially about looking after your kit. I use and abuse mine to destruction, and often find when I need to replace kit there is no perfectly suitable replacement. I have got some kit I simply can't replace as the more modern version is not suitable. 

My favourite shelter by far was an original Aqua Evolution-one of the very last made by Chris Manifold in his old workshop in Crewe before he sold the design to Fox. Fantastic design and quality. Had it for about 15 years before the poles became brittle and 2 of them shattered on a memorably stormy night on the Mangrove in Shropshire. Would gladly pay top dollar for a replacement!

I know I will sound biased, but for £199, the Titan hide covers everything I want from a shelter. Lightweight (4.4kg), fast to put up (under a minute), super strong and solid as a rock, loads of room both height and ground space for such a small footprint, packs down to 44inch, no need for storm poles. Can add an overwrap, groundsheet, waterproof front or mozzie front. 

Its a brolly that thinks it’s a bivvy or if you’re the othe way, it’s a bivvy that thinks it’s a brolly! 

9 hours ago, B.C. said:

forgot about this one, going on the potentials list. Let me know how you get on with the wrap. maybe some pictures too

5 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

So we go back to the various brollies with an overwrap.

I agree with you on this mate, your TFG brolly is very similar to my old stealth system and gives you a bit of both worlds without breaking the bank...……..

… Let's be honest, we are outdoors in all weathers, that's part of the game... So a little condensation or the odd drip blowing in shouldn't bother anyone really imo…….

Whatever any promo's say, you cant beat a traditional brolly design for speed of put up and pack down imo….. I find too many companies try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to shelters, instead of just tweaking what they've already got, by way of feed back from customers.....

I have a chub super cyfish 2 man - doesn’t get used anymore due to being way to big and  buying a scope ops brolly system which suited me perfectly until I got the Titan tc pro at an unbeatable price 

scope ops brolly - goes in the car when I go fishing  no matter what.....just in case I’m in a confined swim,or head to the river and it will also be used in winter for day sessions otherwise it’s the....

Titan tc pro goes everywhere with me and is super quick to put up and pack down has loads of room inside for all my gear so does me perfectly. And the vents in the back where a god send on Friday night I think if I hadn’t had that little bit of air movement I would have headed home 

Another point I'd like to make about brollies is they don't need putting together on the floor, when it's wet theres nothing worse than getting your shelter covered in rain and mud before you've even set up. Plus if my brolly is wet I can leave it in a corner somewhere, namely the shed to dry out, try doing that with a pram hood bivvy.

That's one of the main reason why I went for a brolly system so I can get it dry in the shed, l have a Cyprinus magnatex I think it's out of production now, not sure what it was a copy of, but I can't fault it , I think I paid around £180 for the whole thing, ground sheet infill panel and overwrap , the overwrap has never been out the bag, but the infill panel is handy for the night's that it's chucking it down, also there is a lot more room with the front on ....

4 hours ago, B.C. said:

I agree with you on this mate, your TFG brolly is very similar to my old stealth system and gives you a bit of both worlds without breaking the bank...……..

… Let's be honest, we are outdoors in all weathers, that's part of the game... So a little condensation or the odd drip blowing in shouldn't bother anyone really imo…….

Whatever any promo's say, you cant beat a traditional brolly design for speed of put up and pack down imo….. I find too many companies try to reinvent the wheel when it comes to shelters, instead of just tweaking what they've already got, by way of feed back from customers.....

My thoughts exactly. 

Brolly erection, unscrew boss protector, put up, replace boss protector, then put on storm rods or poles. You can set it up in a minute or so and keep your gear mostly dry while you sort your rods out. Then put on the overwrap and peg it down. The stormpole sleeves on the TFG are velcroed, so you don't need to remove the poles to put the bivvy overwrap on.

Every few years Fox, Nash, Trakker, JRC et al all replace models, and as Yonny mentioned earlier in the thread, often make an inferior product in the process.

I look at this years Fox EasyDome, and I think what an abomination. The inner capsule may have needed enlarging, so put the extension frame pole section on the front, not the back, as you can then use the space inside and still have a useable porch. The 'flat back' does not improve the bivvy.

If I was to buy a Fox shelter it would be the Easy Shelter!

It is strange how shelters have evolved since I started fishing, from homemade plastic or canvas covering an umbrella to overwraps, then domes, tents, bivvies, and back to brollies and overwraps.

We've gone from roughing it to the ultimate in bankside accommodation and back to roughing it again :)

The only time I ever use a front on my brolly is this time of year to keep the dredded mozzi's away, as soon as it cools off again, it'll be open front all winter. Wraps and groundsheets I just find are an unnecessary ball ache, so I don't bother with them.

4 hours ago, salokcinnodrog said:

strange how shelters have evolved since I started fishing, from homemade plastic or canvas covering an umbrella to overwraps, then domes, tents, bivvies, and back to brollies and overwraps.

Believe it or not, when I first started night fishing with my mate aged 13, we had a 45" brolly between us, no such thing as storm sides...…… If we got caught in a thunderstorm, we would take the pole out and lay the brolly  flat and curl up under it with a woolen blanket each...….. Alarming to think how fussy I've become as each one of those shelters I rejected in my earlier post was quite adequate really and an absolute palace compared to back then...…. Although it's nice to wake up without nettle rash on the side of my face nowadays 🙂

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

Believe it or not, when I first started night fishing with my mate aged 13, we had a 45" brolly between us, no such thing as storm sides...…… If we got caught in a thunderstorm, we would take the pole out and lay the brolly  flat and curl up under it with a woolen blanket each...….. Alarming to think how fussy I've become as each one of those shelters I rejected in my earlier post was quite adequate really and an absolute palace compared to back then...…. Although it's nice to wake up without nettle rash on the side of my face nowadays 🙂

I'm sure I've posted it before, the pic of when I was doing sneaky nights on the park lake and didn't want to draw attention to myself doing overnighters. It was gravel rash in my case.

Not the nicest shelter to get caught out in a thunderstorm!

image.jpeg