Hey everyone! I’m not new to carp fishing, but I am very rusty. I recently dug all of my carp gear out the garage and I’m looking to go again in the next couple of weeks after around 7 years away from it all. I’ve missed it!! I’m just wondering what baits people are using now.... I used to like using feeders with ground bait on but cannot remember what was any good. I would usually go with a boilie on a hair rig set up but again can’t remember which it was that I used. Also any other tips to help me get back into it would be very much appreciated.

thanks in advance :D 

welcome to the forum Kie, you will probably find that the ground bait hasn't changed much, still basically ground bread or soya flour, various flavorings such as turmeric, chilli, liquidized corn etc,etc.

a good favorite of mine is basically

liquidized bread (binder)

liquidized dog meal (bakers complete) food source)

ground halibut pellets (oil content)

paprika (colouring)

turmeric (spice)

chilli flake (why not?)

to change it up for the seasons i would replace the halibut pellets with liquidized fruit such as pineapple, strawberries etc.

sweetcorn, chick peas, mung beans or maples on the hook or you could find a good food source boilie to compliment the ground bait too.

thats my take on it bud, have fun and catch fish :lol:

Welcome to Carp.com.

What you did years ago still works.

Easy way of getting groundbait, have a look at a dog food called Vitalin, the original version, just mix with water, around 30 minutes before you use it, or pour boiling water on it the night before, then fine tune it on the bank for The Method.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/vitalin-original-dog-food-15kg

cheaper than many fishing groundbaits😉

33 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Easy way of getting groundbait, have a look at a dog food called Vitalin, the original version, just mix with water, around 30 minutes before you use it, or pour boiling water on it the night before, then fine tune it on the bank for The Method.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/vitalin-original-dog-food-15kg

cheaper than many fishing groundbaits😉

Ive used Vitalin once mixed with Manilla cloudy liquid....boy did i have a banging session that day.

• 3 weeks later...

my best advise is don't be a sheep and just use something because that's what everyone else is using

don't get me wrong sometimes it works to follow the crowd but ive found more often than not its best to do the exact opposite to what everyone else is doin

for example on the syndicate im fishing i was told when I joined last year everyone fishes over tight beds of pellets so I fish a scattered boilie approach  and not only did I catch more than pretty much everyone last year ive already had the 2 biggest fish in the lake out this year

finding a bait you've got 100% confidence in isn't one someone can "here use this" and that's the bait for you, it took me a few years to find "the one" and I can honestly say ill never use another boilie again so its worth switching and swapping till you do find it

thanks for the advice lads but as everyone is on the latest 'going' baits and they all seem (with the exception of one or two) to follow the trend, i have a feeling as no one else is on these they could work.

i recon a scattering of corn, maples, crushed tigers/brazils, boilie shavings and hemp, with a few whole chocaberries, or just a small bag of crushed nuts and shavings with a 18mm on the hair may be the way to go.

only time will tell, as it happens the one or two who go their own way are the ones who are consistently catching.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi mate i know im 6 months to late ;) but i use Vitalin mixed with particles of your choice 50/50 mix add liquid attracts  of your choice bit of cloudy ground bait and works a treat. I been introduced to it by a friend and it is a killer on 2 of our local Venus. One in particular. I been told by some anglers they customize it to the venue. Adding boilie crumb and pellets etc.