The naked chod rig.

Its-grim-up-north

I have.

Handy when they're showing over heavy weed with a leader ban in place. Trick is to find out exactly how deep the weed is - you want it as close to the lead as possible without compromising presentation, otherwise there's not enough weight/interference to set the hook well (you get aborted takes and fish falling off as soon as you hit the rod).

Given the choice I'd use lead-core or fluoro but not essential.

19 minutes ago, yonny said:

I have.

Handy when they're showing over heavy weed with a leader ban in place. Trick is to find out exactly how deep the weed is - you want it as close to the lead as possible without compromising presentation, otherwise there's not enough weight/interference to set the hook well (you get aborted takes and fish falling off as soon as you hit the rod).

Given the choice I'd use lead-core or fluoro but not essential.

Thanks for the reply, what fluoro would you think would be best to use? It’s just I’ve always used lead-core but it’s banned on a water I’m going to fish. 

36 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anybody’s used the naked chod straight through on a mono line? Everything I’ve read says use a fluoro line or a fluoro leader. 

Not quite used it as a chod rig, but used naked helicopters long before it became fashionable.

At the time, because the available rings had a tendency to abrade the mainline I came up with various other versions, from Cox and Rawle beach beads, (https://www.gerrysfishing.com/cox-rawle-beach-beads-20pcs-1-packet.ir (do NOT glue them) and have the large holed bead nearest the rod tip), to home made versions.

The pics I used are on this thread:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Not quite used it as a chod rig, but used naked helicopters long before it became fashionable.

At the time, because the available rings had a tendency to abrade the mainline I came up with various other versions, from Cox and Rawle beach beads, (https://www.gerrysfishing.com/cox-rawle-beach-beads-20pcs-1-packet.ir (do NOT glue them) and have the large holed bead nearest the rod tip), to home made versions.

The pics I used are on this thread:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I like the look of that, that was another thing I’d read, that when playing a fish there would be to much pressure on the mono and that it’d be highly likely to break.

2 hours ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

what fluoro would you think would be best to use?

Any old fluoro leader buddy.

I think @greekskii rates the wychwood stuff?

1 hour ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

when playing a fish there would be to much pressure on the mono and that it’d be highly likely to break.

Fox and korda do purpose made line savers. Defo worth getting.

I recently took it off and went back to the Fox submerge leadfree leader for my fishing on the reserve due to so many snags. I watched a near 30 suss my set up out whilst stalking on there. I think I’ll be going back to the avid stuff after witnessing how this fish took a good hour circling my spot before doing the off. 

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Have you tried the new fox edges drop off heli kit? Great bit of kit. 

Haven't tried mate..... I'll take a look at them when I switch to a larger water next month...… Been using lead clips lately,  the Tench are costing me a bomb in leads..... Started using much smaller leads 1oz-1.5 oz as I'm fishing close in and they are a bit cheaper...……. The trouble with the smaller leads is that a vicious liner can move them and bobbins don't re set...…. Has you thinking that you've been done....

5 hours ago, The_Viking_Angler said:

It's absolutely fine using it straight on mono mate, i used it like that for years before moving onto a water that allows leaders and even now i seldom use them. Just make sure you use a buffer sleeve like in the post above and you're grand.

When you used it on mono did you use putty on your rig? 

45 minutes ago, Its-grim-up-north said:

Am I right that these serve the same purpose as the Korda ones I’ve bought mate? 

Need a pic of the Korda ones Grim...… The only Korda ones I could find, that would do the same thing are their "line saver beads"...…. But in typical Korda fashion, these can only be used the once due to the way they are put on the line via a wire loop.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l6T21mQ8ZQ

1410338751_12.jpg

• 1 year later...