How important are bobbins

If your generic NGT ones work for you, and you're reasonably happy with them, then an upgrade would be a waste of money............but don't let that stop you lol!

I was using some cheap Avid ones, which were fine. But the chains were like chocolate, so I "upgraded" to Wychwood Slugs. They work for me.

I look for 3 things in a bobbin...

1) Adjustable weights. You can buy bigger weights for the Slugs, but I am happy with them as they are for the moment. Not too heavy but I can adjust them if I want.

2) High visibility. I went for the bright orange ones. I can see them from miles away, so they certainly catch my eye should they start "dancing". Bright Yellow are good too.

3) Ability to take an isotope easily.

On ‎2‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:19, TheKingTench said:

Any recommendations,

Depends how much you want to spend buddy. And what sort of fishing you are doing. As Smufter says, they all do pretty much the same. You might want to consider something with an "arm" option, which helps to stop false bleeps in the wind, or something with a clip that actually grips the line and doesn't just hang on it, if bites are finicky.....  If it's an actuall "upgrade" and not just a change. Then , personally I'd push the boat out and spend a bit on something that will never need to be upgraded again. 

If I were to upgrade and was looking for something to cover all situations, then the Solar Titanium would be my choice. Not the cheapest, but shouldn't need replacing, ever...... These are on my hit list for later in the year. 

https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/solar-indicators/15027-solar-tackle-titanium-indicator-arm.html#/choose-short

Been using Matrix Dinky Hot Heads forever, but they don't sit still in high winds, hence me looking for something like the above.....

Nick uses them and rates them highly, which is good enough for me as a recommendation.:)

If I'm honest for me you cant beat the Mk2 Fox swingers, totally adjustable in weight and stable in any winds.

I've tried various bobbins since and tbh nothing is as good all round as swingers, they do everything, slack, tight and everything in between and no false bleeps from sideways movement.

If I hadn't lost a tiny part from my old set they would have been back on long ago.

34 minutes ago, B.C. said:

Depends how much you want to spend buddy. And what sort of fishing you are doing. As Smufter says, they all do pretty much the same. You might want to consider something with an "arm" option, which helps to stop false bleeps in the wind, or something with a clip that actually grips the line and doesn't just hang on it, if bites are finicky.....  If it's an actuall "upgrade" and not just a change. Then , personally I'd push the boat out and spend a bit on something that will never need to be upgraded again. 

If I were to upgrade and was looking for something to cover all situations, then the Solar Titanium would be my choice. Not the cheapest, but shouldn't need replacing, ever...... These are on my hit list for later in the year. 

https://johnsonrosstackle.co.uk/solar-indicators/15027-solar-tackle-titanium-indicator-arm.html#/choose-short

Been using Matrix Dinky Hot Heads forever, but they don't sit still in high winds, hence me looking for something like the above.....

Nick uses them and rates them highly, which is good enough for me as a recommendation.:)

They do look the business. Always looking to spend my spare cash on carping gear!

11 minutes ago, TheKingTench said:

They do look the business. Always looking to spend my spare cash on carping gear!

It's quite expensive getting set up , even with budget gear so it's difficult to get quality bits all in one hit. I'll have a look at most things out of curiosity. But if I'm actually upgrading, then it's a "buy once" mentality. Get some info off here, or even better from someone using certain kit on the bank, sometimes pay a bit extra, then that's one box ticked off. If it's looked after, then will last a lifetime.......

Good idea to look after any budget gear too, you can always get a couple of quid back for it when you are looking to upgrade.

1 hour ago, kevtaylor said:

If I'm honest for me you cant beat the Mk2 Fox swingers, totally adjustable in weight and stable in any winds.

I've tried various bobbins since and tbh nothing is as good all round as swingers, they do everything, slack, tight and everything in between and no false bleeps from sideways movement.

If I hadn't lost a tiny part from my old set they would have been back on long ago.

1 hour ago, yonny said:

I still have a set of the MK1's!

Must admit I preferred the Mk.1's to the Mk.2's. Didn't like the line gate on the Mk.2's, and I found the weight could not be 'zeroed' like the Mk1's.

I used Solar Quiverlocs for years, loved them, but a heavy handed (foot) moment saw me break the carbon inside the arm of one of them. It still worked as a swing arm, but as a tension arm it didn't, so I went to the Titaniums.

I switched the line clip to the original line clip as I prefer that to the current fashionable ones that are around. Mostly because I really need to tighten up with the undertow at times, and the new line clips won't hold.

The Ipro heads do look rather good with an isotope in. While the isotope is not a necessity, it does mean I can be sure my indicators are level, which is not for fashion, but so I can see which rod has twitched on any movement without necessarily looking up at the buzzer, honest...

1 hour ago, B.C. said:

I use them for carp fishing, and when I'm after big roach or bream. Basically one indicator does all.

If you want a Solar stockist to go into:

http://www.solar24-7.co.uk/page/find-supplier

39 minutes ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Must admit I preferred the Mk.1's to the Mk.2's. Didn't like the line gate on the Mk.2's, and I found the weight could not be 'zeroed' like the Mk1's.

Hey don't diss my Mk2's there Nick

The gate design is banging and they can be zeroed - there's a cut in the weight that allows it to be pushed back further.

It's a bit advanced for you MK1 boys to work out lol :D:D:D

Edited by kevtaylor