Wychwood 60" MHR brolly???

Anybody got one???
If so, what do you reckon of it???

I've owned a 60" "Solace" HD for the past 4 years or more, absolutely love it. Great material, totally waterproof. The only downside is that I've clouted my head a couple of times on the ribs. I've also berated the fact that it doesn't have rod retaining straps fitted to it a couple of times, but have learnt to live with that!

The new one comes with two retainers, has much higher rib arrangement, and two handy internal mesh pockets which seem ideal for popping your easily misplaced items in. So theoretically it ticks all the boxes.

I have seen the new one on the bay for £129.99 delivered, and can get £60.00 for mine no problem. Seems a bit of a no brainer really doesn't it????

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mhr+brolly&&view=detail&mid=2661530AFDA9E57C9B752661530AFDA9E57C9B75&&FORM=VDRVRV

Edited by smufter

5 hours ago, smufter said:

Anybody got one???
If so, what do you reckon of it???

I've owned a 60" "Solace" HD for the past 4 years or more, absolutely love it. Great material, totally waterproof. The only downside is that I've clouted my head a couple of times on the ribs. I've also berated the fact that it doesn't have rod retaining straps fitted to it a couple of times, but have learnt to live with that!

The new one comes with two retainers, has much higher rib arrangement, and two handy internal mesh pockets which seem ideal for popping your easily misplaced items in. So theoretically it ticks all the boxes.

I have seen the new one on the bay for £129.99 delivered, and can get £60.00 for mine no problem. Seems a bit of a no brainer really doesn't it????

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=mhr+brolly&&view=detail&mid=2661530AFDA9E57C9B752661530AFDA9E57C9B75&&FORM=VDRVRV

At the price you can get it for, take the no brainer. Definitely worth a punt at that price:wink:

Seems to tick the boxes better than some more expensive brollies I can think of.

Hello Smufter 

I've got the Wychwood Solace 50" HD and when it broke Wychwood replaced it no questions asked under their guarantee ; when I was buying the Solace the shop said a 60" would be too big , well I found the 50" too cramped if I wanted to keep my 12' rods in their sleeves inside my brolly .

I looked at the MHR , but went for a Trakker 60" Tempest Brolly in the end as there's nothing inside to bash your head on ! . 

:)

11 hours ago, framey said:

I believe the brollies have a 5 year guarantee

Definitely a 5 year guarantee. Fairly unique in that.

Thanks for your responses lads. 60" MHR it is.

Wife has said she'll get it for my birthday, which is a bonus!

If the new one is up to my Solace build quality, I'll be well chuffed.

14 hours ago, crusian said:

Hello Smufter 

I looked at the MHR , but went for a Trakker 60" Tempest Brolly in the end as there's nothing inside to bash your head on ! . 

Hi Crusian

thanks for your input mate. I did also look at the Trakker, and on the face of it it looks a superb brolly. Nice and easy to put up, and as you say, no ribs to bash your head on!
The only thing that put me off is the material they use, compared to Wychwood. Not too bad on an overcast, rainy day, but with the sun beating down on it, I'd rather take my chances in the Wychwood product.
My daughter has a brolly made of similar material to the Trakker, and I remember falling asleep in hers on a really hot day in France the year before last. I woke up feeling terrible, splitting headache and totally dehydrated!
The inside of it got extremely hot, and was really uncomfortable, due to the translucent material not blocking the sunlight out completely.
The thicker material used on my Solace on the other hand blocks out everything. It gives 100% shade so is therefore much more comfortable on a blisteringly hot day. 
As most of my use of a brolly is during the warmer months (I don't do overnighters during the winter) this is very important to me.

12 hours ago, smufter said:

Hi Crusian

thanks for your input mate. I did also look at the Trakker, and on the face of it it looks a superb brolly. Nice and easy to put up, and as you say, no ribs to bash your head on!
The only thing that put me off is the material they use, compared to Wychwood. Not too bad on an overcast, rainy day, but with the sun beating down on it, I'd rather take my chances in the Wychwood product.
My daughter has a brolly made of similar material to the Trakker, and I remember falling asleep in hers on a really hot day in France the year before last. I woke up feeling terrible, splitting headache and totally dehydrated!
The inside of it got extremely hot, and was really uncomfortable, due to the translucent material not blocking the sunlight out completely.
The thicker material used on my Solace on the other hand blocks out everything. It gives 100% shade so is therefore much more comfortable on a blisteringly hot day. 
As most of my use of a brolly is during the warmer months (I don't do overnighters during the winter) this is very important to me.

Intresting 

we all only really care about the 'super duper HH rating but i can honestly say i have never heard of any mentioning the uv /a/b etc protection 

21 minutes ago, framey said:

Intresting 

we all only really care about the 'super duper HH rating but i can honestly say i have never heard of any mentioning the uv /a/b etc protection 

Try sitting under my daughter's brolly on a really sunny day!! 😵😵😵

51 minutes ago, smufter said:

Hello Smufter 

Framey beat me to it ! .

I don't fish in France , and when I know it's going to be a scorcher I either do an evening session ,  or an early morning session and pick a swim that offers me shade - yes I know Yonny I should be choosing my swims on where the fish are , but I don't want to melt ! . 

However , I have got a Skull Cap for my brolly which I took off as you need to take more care putting the brolly up and taking it down ( I broke the brolly in my haste to open it up :( ) ; so I'm going to keep the Skull Cap on permanently and see if the double thickness of material ( and the peak ) stop , or reduce the problem you talk about .

Failing that there's lots of trees around my lake ! :D .

7 hours ago, crusian said:

Hello Smufter 
I don't fish in France , and when I know it's going to be a scorcher I either do an evening session ,  or an early morning session and pick a swim that offers me shade - yes I know Yonny I should be choosing my swims on where the fish are , but I don't want to melt ! . 

I don't like fishing during the heat of the day, much preferring early morning or evening sessions.
On this particular day we had fished well into the previous night and had woken up at 4.30am to catch first light. So I guess, in all, we had only had about 3 hours kip. I was absolutely shattered the next day, which as I say was blisteringly hot being July. 
By about 11, I'd had enough. Could hardly keep my eyes open, and my interest was waning. Fish were just basking on top as they tend to do during weather like that, so I thought I'd grab a quick forty winks. I laid down on my daughters bedchair under her brolly and quickly dozed off. I "came too" around 2 o'clock feeling really bad. Took me at least an hour, maybe more, to feel human again. That brolly was like a sauna. I can't remember what make it is now, (she still has it), but the material, compared to my Solace, was terrible. You could shoot peas through it, it was that thin. My Solace is superb in those conditions. The material is so thick it doesn't let any light through at all, which is perfect if you need to get into some shade. 

Edited by smufter

13 hours ago, smufter said:

I fished a few years ago on an open water in this country under a 50inch Nu-brolli for a few rain free days. One day it was so hot I ended up dehydrated with serious heat stroke. 

On summer trips I regularly find it unbearable in the bivvy compared to being outside, often trying to find shade in the trees.

On 1/22/2018 at 05:08, smufter said:

Hi Crusian

So it's what everyone is saying then , buy the MHR ! , but like Framey I hadn't considered blocking the sunlight out ; fortunately I've still got my 50" Solace if I have to fish in the open with the sun beating down .

Well my mate came round last night and picked up my old Solace. Goodbye old friend, you served me well. I let him have it for £50.00 in the end as there were a few very small holes in the bag which I hadn't noticed, but the brolly itself was perfect. 
The new one will have to wait a few weeks because Christmas hammered our bank account a little more than we thought, so I'll have to use my daughters one for a while. Hopefully we won't get any scorching hot days between now and the MHR arriving!!
Total Fishing Tackle are offering a 10% discount at the moment so I can get the MHR for around £118.00 which is a great price.

Damn! I quite like the look of this one now. Complete brolly "system" for the same price as the MHR. I know the material isn't as good, but the panel in the back would help with keeping the interior cool and it looks super roomy. :shock::shock::shock:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=airwave+brolly&&view=detail&mid=E59ABB730AFC32AAFD6BE59ABB730AFC32AAFD6B&&FORM=VDRVRV

Edited by smufter

5 hours ago, B.C. said:

I had one of those Smuft, for about a year.... Not bad for the money, but not ideal in stormy weather. Had to hold mine down with scaffy poles and bricks in a storm, very wobbly mate.

IMG_20170223_135722.jpg

I'm glad BC has had practical experience of this brolly system because just watching the youtube video it LOOKS flimsy , and wouldn't the material not stop the scorching sun as per your problem in France ? -  BUT  I have never seen one in the flesh .

IMO don't waver Smufter , go MHR , you know it makes sense ! .

Cheers BC, last year after a good look round I purchased a system brolly set with both the zip on front panel and the overwrap , I've never used the overwrap but the zip on front panel is a god send, only used two or three times so far but in my opinion well worth the money, if you can buy this as a package then it's worth the little extra.... Ps the pole is still in use my friend 😉 Pps it's a cheap copy that I own....

Edited by cloud9

Yes the pole works great now thanks you 😆 it's been adapted with the right thread lol , it's the rain that gets me , the brolly system is one of the best I have seen but the rain still gets in from the lip of the brolly , with a little bit of thought and a little bit of fabric it could be so much better  😉

Not fishing during the winter months, I doubt whether I'll bother with the over-wrap.
It was my birthday yesterday and I got a card from the in-laws with a cheque for £50.00 tucked inside, so that will go towards the purchase price of the brolly. That, together with the £50.00 I got for my old Solace means we've only got to shell out £18.00 of our own money! Cushty.
Could be getting it sooner than I thought!