Alton Water Park

1 minute ago, salokcinnodrog said:

Maybe...

Only season ticket holders are allowed to night fish it, carp are there, but in the main, its the stockies that have been the ones coming out. Deep water from a rod length out. 

lol. Is there much in terms of stock in there? Wont be a water i fish for a few years i dont think, just noticed its within 30 minutes of home!

22 minutes ago, crusian said:

Hi Ginger 

I walked around a very small fraction of the water  this year - it's huge  , daunting ! .

Would you be considering fishing there on your own ? , because it looked kind of lonely ,and I would feel vulnerable , but then I am a wuss ! .

No idea mate. Haven’t set foot there. Just saw vs fisheries had put some c4’s in. I will take a walk round there at some point and maybe add it to the list. 

No problems with dogs, but must be on a lead (although dog walkers tend not to follow that rule)

Personally I have had a couple of roach over 2lb out of there, along with numbers well over 1lb and had roach sessions disturbed by carp...

Its fun trying to play a bigger carp on 8lb braid to 4lb hooklink!

Sweetcorn or maggot over groundbait has been my standard bait.

Only a few pike over 20 have been caught, but you consider its potential is not yet known, as it has not been heavily fished for pike.

I think its quoted as over 350 acres, roughly double the size of Ardleigh, which is in itself not a small water at 167.

I can't remember the price of a season ticket, think its around £100, day tickets from tackle shops are £7.50, £15 on the bank.

On 4 December 2017 at 11:43, Shakey74 said:

I didn't realise that they allowed night fishing on there now for season ticket holders. If only i had the time to give it a serious go :)

Its only been the past couple of years since they allowed it.

Get your season ticket and parking is included, although I would be wary of leaving my car overnight in The Wonder car park after I got back there one late evening after a few big roach, to discover a load of weed smokers hanging around my car. I know the head ranger moves them on, but he can't visit every car park all the time.

I know a few of the weights of carp caught from Ardleigh, its not just this years stock fish that have shown up, a couple were caught on floaters after being seen near the surface from a bridge...

Abberton bream found there way into the River Stour, and held the bream record for a few years, and I know that it was fished for pike for a while, I think Eddie Turner, Mr. ET tackle himself had gained permission to fish there. Its rumoured KN caught some pike himself, but I'm not sure on that one, although they were supposed to be very big fish. There are supposed to be plans to reopen sections for fishing that again.

Mind you, even with the new roadway, I came back from 5 Lakes and the wash was splashing over the road, bit scary that, even worse than heading over to Mersea Island!

On 12/6/2017 at 20:18, Dannygooner said:

I read last night on a forum that a carp was found dead weighing 69lb at abberton last night. Probably just hear say. But still, interesting 

its most eminently possible that fish of that weight and over live in there, a ressa that has over 10 miles of margin, 3 miles long and over 2 mile wide and that not taking into account the smaller section the other side of the causeway,

interesting fact: this ressa was used by 617 squadron (dam busters) for practice runs with the bouncing bombs for their campaign on the Rhur, during this practice it was refered to as 'colchester lake' 😛

5 hours ago, cyborx said:

its most eminently possible that fish of that weight and over live in there, a ressa that has over 10 miles of margin, 3 miles long and over 2 mile wide and that not taking into account the smaller section the other side of the causeway,

interesting fact: this ressa was used by 617 squadron (dam busters) for practice runs with the bouncing bombs for their campaign on the Rhur, during this practice it was refered to as 'colchester lake' 😛

Interesting indeed.

Ardleigh had a mid 50 found dead on its banks years ago, although at the time it was not known if the fish was a dumped dead'un, or a fish that had lived in the reservoir.

2 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

A dumped dead' un? Like someone dumped it from elsewhere ?

i found a John Wilson at ardleigh btw mate. But it was pike and perch fishing. I can't find the bream fishing one, where he snaffles the carp anywhere. I only found the pike one by accident going through his back catalogue. It wasn't titled ardleigh. Annoying lol

Not known if it was an illegal import and dumped dead on the banks.

Don't know what the bream one will be under, Ardleigh or bream, but he did a couple of bream episodes. I can remember one at Melton as well as Ardleigh, and there was one with a number of big double figure bream from a Norfolk lake.

Yeah it's a huge place and finding them could be a massive issue, I think it would have to be keel the club ticket for general use and season ticket in their for 24hr or longer sessions.

i can only imagine what's in their! Never seen it in flesh just seen pictures on the website 120 acres is scary lol 

25 minutes ago, Dannygooner said:

Of course. The mystery aspect really does it for me. They did stock 150 carp not long ago ,some quite sizeable, to get the numbers up. But there is certainly unknowns in there. I walk round the water quite regularly just to get the lay of it. I rarely see anyone fishing it. I've done a handful of day ticket sessions and blanked but I expected that to be honest. The annoying thing was last time I did fish it I had a dropped run, and had them on my spot I'm sure of it. But I was on a day ticket and it was getting dark. Frustrating. I won't let that happen again lol

Danny, i've got disagree a little bit about the mystery of Ardleigh these days. 10+ years, i would of agreed. No one really knew the potential of place and the thought of an unknown kipper being caught along with the rumours at the time, did give the place a buzz. However, its been fished for carp for a decade or so know by some decent anglers, so i don't think it carries the mystery that it once did. There is even a facebook page where people are trying to document all of the fish. I was lucky enough to be on there when the carp didn't have names :)

I'm not knocking any captures from there, i know what a ball buster the place can be, but i think it is pretty much well documented these days to what is in there.

Fish on far smaller venues go uncaught for years and years so I guarantee that place holds some beasts! Possibly not caught since ten years ago and came out as a twenty and could now be 50 or 60 I doubt anyone knows truly what's in there..... a good idea yeah but no one can be certain unless it has been netted 🤣 Or drained 

4 hours ago, Shakey74 said:

Danny, i've got disagree a little bit about the mystery of Ardleigh these days. 10+ years, i would of agreed. No one really knew the potential of place and the thought of an unknown kipper being caught along with the rumours at the time, did give the place a buzz. However, its been fished for carp for a decade or so know by some decent anglers, so i don't think it carries the mystery that it once did. There is even a facebook page where people are trying to document all of the fish. I was lucky enough to be on there when the carp didn't have names :)

I'm not knocking any captures from there, i know what a ball buster the place can be, but i think it is pretty much well documented these days to what is in there.

Umm this thread seems to have morphed into an Ardleigh thread , not that I'm complaining ! .

Hopefully Shakey74   won't think I'm being disrespectful , but would Nick also like to comment about unknown / seldom caught monsters please ? .

Ta

:)