Warwickshire Avon

On 5 November 2017 at 15:56, Salfordcarl said:

I’m new to carp finishing and having had some success on my local day ticket lakes I want to have a bash on the river.

any advice welcome, pre baiting tips, or stretches to try would be great.

thanks

You'll find most carp anglers who fish rivers will keep their areas to themselves, it is a very closed circle. Plenty of looking, plenty of walking on areas you can get to, and fish as much as possible. 

Then as Kev says, see what info you can get from tackle shops and local clubs.

There was a guy who worked in Coventry's Lanes tackle shop that fished the Avon for carp, he hasn't been in the shop the past few times i have been in, but they really do know that river like the back of their hand.

The Avon has some really nice carp in it, there was a online magazine report knocking about on the net a few years back, local lad done really well on the Avon out Warwick and Leamington way, think the magazine was called Crafty Carper.

The canal between Coventry and Rugby has a few in too.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Should have said.....I'm evesham way. 

There is a stretch on the fisheries website that clams a 48lber a few years ago, which is what got me thinking about it. This particular stretch is not far away and I have been fishing there before all be it not for carp and found it hard work and slow going. 

On 11/7/2017 at 20:34, Salfordcarl said:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Should have said.....I'm evesham way. 

There is a stretch on the fisheries website that clams a 48lber a few years ago, which is what got me thinking about it. This particular stretch is not far away and I have been fishing there before all be it not for carp and found it hard work and slow going. 

i used to fish a stretch just out of the town center a few years ago and did quite well on maggots, boilies and luncheon meat.

i parked at the hampton ferry car park and walked up the bank to the left (back toward town), the section just before the bend for a couple of hundred yards was the most prolific.

i found a few holes (barbel and chubb) and a few area's of pads (carp)  that were good, my pb's on that stretch were 9lb 5oz barbel, 17lb 3oz pike, 4lb 0oz chubb and 21lb 6oz common, and the biggest surprise was a 6lb 3oz golden tench.

terminal tackle used was open end feeder stopped with bread and filled with mags and meat cubes with a cube topped with a couple of wrigglers on the hook and method filled with my own spicy groundbait and boilie crumb with a 10mm tight to a size 10 mugga. 

so as long as your not trying to break any records should be quite an eye opener :lol:

I take it your  Salford priors direction from your user name Carl ? 

Your drive past far better fishing than the town centre stretch if you are .... Although there are fish to be had there as mentioned but far more boat traffic & the rowing club  . there's some good specimen fishing at Salford priors itself . also where the main road passes over it ( SDM) bridge screams carp & a prebaiting mission . just never got round to it lol 

I did start a little campaign down common road a few years back with the marina on the opposite bank, caught a couple of low doubles , but the masses of litter that greated me on arrival every time had to be seen to be believed so didn't stick at it . But that's where a couple of 30+ are known to be .... also if your not a big lad I would give down there a swerve especially at night .