Cheshire 30lb

Hello. 

I am new to this forum hopefully there maybe a few members that can point me in the right direction. 

I have been fishing local waters In Stockport Manchester and my p.b is 23lb  I am after I new water in Cheshire that might hold a few 30lb I am used to fishing small pounds so after somewhere I can step my game up. Don't mind if there are club waters I can join hopefully someone can help.

Thanks Darren 

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look, the almost inevitable resounding silence from the Cheshire / Staffordshire lads is here again.

Daz, if you are serious about what you are proposing try the Carp tackle shops as near to you as you can. A personal chat with any of the staff will usually get a positive response, and if you are a regular in there you may avoid some of the bull, and misdirection, that some folk seem to delight in heaping on folk who ask for help.

BOF  :wink:

On 12/09/2017 at 20:25, bof1 said:

Oh look, the almost inevitable resounding silence from the Cheshire / Staffordshire lads is here again.

Daz, if you are serious about what you are proposing try the Carp tackle shops as near to you as you can. A personal chat with any of the staff will usually get a positive response, and if you are a regular in there you may avoid some of the bull, and misdirection, that some folk seem to delight in heaping on folk who ask for help.

Yea why don't you Cheshire lads shout from the roof tops about few decent lakes you have and get them even busier. After all people shouldn't have to do leg work it should all be handed over on a plate.   PS baden hall might be worth a look.

I've been fishing in Cheshire for many years, outside of the south east we have the biggest concentration of carp anglers in the country but we don't have many big fish waters, so the big fish waters that are known are often under intense pressure :wink: 

if you come across a little known water with good fish in, the quickest way to ruin it for yourself is to put it online because everyone up here is looking for a leg up...lol :wink:

3 hours ago, bof1 said:

I have never known a bigger bunch of secret squirrels than the Cheshire / Staffordshire anglers when it comes to putting information on the net. Its almost as if they don't want any of their Commercial venues to succeed.

There arnt many day ticket commercial lakes that hold 30lb carp in Cheshire. I don't blame anybody for not shareing info on the net regarding lakes. Social media has destroyed some lakes. 

Its a case of managing expectations here. Ok there aren't too many places that have bunches of 30's waiting for us to amble onto, but if the guy has a pb of 23lb surely he wont turn his nose up at a 25 - 27 - 29? Then by the time he has managed to reach the top end of the 20's list he should know where to move on to improve on that, if only by listening to the gossip around the lakeside and in the tackle shop.

Baden hall is one of his best bets not cheshire i no but  ot to far away. He should be more worried about ware a 24lber going to from imo rather than a 30. But if that's what he wants out his angling then who am i to say that's wrong. Coming on a forum asking for waters in Cheshire that contain 30ties isn't going get you far. Google earth and a tank full fuel who knows what you might find.

personally I don't fish commercials, the only day ticket waters I've been to recently are sandhurst and Cromwell, neither of which are local to the area, if you're going to pay day ticket rates you might as well head south, at least the waters down there offer 30's for the top dollar you pay, up here the prices charged compared to the size of fish available makes our commercials a complete rip off :wink:

managing expectations is quite right, I'm Wirral based and I've fished in Cheshire since 1996, funnily enough I started travelling out there to catch bigger carp, 20's and possibly a 30?, in the 21 years since I started trying for one, I still haven't had a Cheshire 30, I fish a session near enough every week right throughout the year, my average over the years is around 3x20's a season, sometimes I have more, others i'll catch less but most of those 20's are under 23lb :wink:

regarding expectations, catching a fish of 25lb+ in our region isn't impossible, some always get lucky but for most of us, a target like that requires time and dedication, the magazines might make it look an easy task but its far from it :wink: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
34 minutes ago, marker said:

I don't know mate, you've heard more than I have?, I treat everything as fantasy until I see the pics with my own eyes, no pics, no proof😉 I know that sounds harsh but fisherman are well known for stretching the truth😁

Have to say Mark, In the South, fisherman tend to stretch the truth in the opposite direction. We are blessed with a larger average size of fish and I've known anglers to take a few pounds "off" the weight of a fish, just to stop the circus turning up...… In Essex, we live in the realms of Nash, Korda, Mainline, to name a few..... Last thing you want is a load of "labled up" full timers taking over a lake, that does pretty well without all the fuss.... Could be , that in your neck of the woods, things are kept a bit hush for the same reasons. Not so much to deter fellow anglers, but to deter sponsored glory hunters. So photo's and finer details would be thin on the ground...…. I know of at least one 40lb fish, that has weighed 38.12 for at least five years on every capture, Spring,Summer Winter.... Pre spawn/post spawn...… With no glory hunters publicly claiming it's true weight, the lake remains a relatively quiet place to fish, very rare these days in my area..... A couple of seasons of regular fishing and a lot of tea bags needed, before the regulars will open up a bit, by which time, you would already have a fare idea of what's in the lake....

yes bc it's the same up here, we go to great lengths to keep our waters quiet and free from glory hunters or other anglers in general, outside of kent, I think the north west has the highest number of carp anglers in the country, sadly we don't have the waters and the ones with big fish, or even just a general higher than average size for the area, are generally rammed. finding some peace and quiet up here isn't easy and as you say, many tea bags are required before people open up, getting info is very much down to who you know and what kind of reputation you have...ie glory hunters get nothing.

1 hour ago, marker said:

yes bc it's the same up here, we go to great lengths to keep our waters quiet and free from glory hunters or other anglers in general, outside of kent, I think the north west has the highest number of carp anglers in the country, sadly we don't have the waters and the ones with big fish, or even just a general higher than average size for the area, are generally rammed. finding some peace and quiet up here isn't easy and as you say, many tea bags are required before people open up, getting info is very much down to who you know and what kind of reputation you have...ie glory hunters get nothing.

The 25lb+ carp to angler ratio up in the North West is crazy. 😩😩

Your battling against fellow anglers more than what you are the fish 🙄🙄

The fish are out there,but waiting times for some waters are quite high. 

2 hours ago, marker said:

getting info is very much down to who you know and what kind of reputation you have..

And doing a few "hard yards" yourself...… I've always found that Winter time is a decent time to get chatting to a few hard core regulars on a lake over a brew.... Once they see you are making an effort and are in it for the long haul , one or two will open up, just through conversation. Once you've done a bit of time on a venue, you become "one of them" the info thing becomes a two way street...…….. It's not all plain sailing down this neck of the woods. (Essex)Some waters, it's very much , who you know to get on them. Some £500 a year syndies are rammed 7 days a week and club waters too at this time of year...… The fish are there, but there is a bank space issue, especially as the kids are off atm...…. I think , the hush, hush thing is mainly to protect some little known places from becoming camp sites. One thing I've noticed over the last 10 years or so, is that, as trophy hunters attention is drawn towards the big fish syndies, there are one or two club lakes, that are relatively neglected, that throw up some decent fish. Bit over crowded for me during the Summer, but late Autumn and early Spring are worth targeting.... Unless you can do midweeks.... Another thing I notice, is Syndie tickets getting snapped up, before a place has even opened, such is the demand..... Bit like people buying property before it is built...…… The rivers are a good bet for some tranquil fishing, but try to get some info on the right stretches? Now that is hard work 🙂…. Lot of leg work needed.

I’m Cheshire born and bred but haven’t fished locally for years. I’m probably a little out of touch but I’d say joining Wheelock AS would be the best bet; to my knowledge they have 30’s in 5 of their waters. PA is also worth considering for the mighty Redesmere alone. Unfortunately, both of these clubs have significant waiting lists. Northwich Anglers givs you access to Petty Pool which has a good head of fish to over 40 but its days only, demanding and difficult. Warrington gives you access to the Sandiway lakes both of which have 30’s in. Keep an eye on Top Flash on the Winsford card-its on the way back after a devastating fish kill a few years back.

That should give you plenty to go at-they’re all open access waters and no big secrets. 

2 hours ago, yonny said:

Same almost everywhere nowadays buddy.

It's nearly impossible for the average angler to find waters with numbers of big fish that aint very highly pressured.

I can imagine,mate. When I did the horseshoe social a few years ago i was amazed of the quality of waters within a half hr drive of the place. Trust me there’s nothing like that oop north. That’s what I was trying to get at.😬

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:42, snowmanstevo said:

The 25lb+ carp to angler ratio up in the North West is crazy. 😩😩

Your battling against fellow anglers more than what you are the fish 🙄🙄

The fish are out there,but waiting times for some waters are quite high. 

a 25 up here is a massive fish for sure, there are some up here but fish of that size require patience getting into the right clubs and/or time and dedication just to get on them, they are certainly catchable but getting a swim anywhere near them is usually very difficult, the one thing that stops everyone in their tracks is other anglers taking up bank space😉

this is pretty much how my Saturdays go, turn up, find the fish, can't get on them due to other anglers, I have a choice, fish a has been swim empty of fish and blank or try another venue, i'll never fish an empty swim so I move on, I can put in a lot of miles each week just looking for a peg that gives me a chance, sometimes I give up after my 4th or 5th water and end up back home again without even getting the rods out. This time of year is the worse for space, that's probably why I prefer winter and early spring same as bc😉

you definitely battle other anglers more than the fish and this is everywhere with decent fish including the ones with the high waiting times, if anything, they are worse!😉