Multi-rig options

bluelabel

1 hour ago, bluelabel said:

Silly question....

Can the Multi-Rig be tied using a mono instead of a coated braid.... ?

You can, but it does behave very differently.

I've put up a pic of a version I play with to try to avoid Crays wrecking the braided (either coated or uncoated) end section. I call it the JC rig, lol:lol:

The bead is a tungsten bead, and the slight curve almost gives a claw effect. The hook sits more upright if you have the loop smaller.

It did work, but I couldn't stop crayfish killing real pop-ups, so haven't used it for a while

image.jpeg

So there's nothing really against the notion...! I like the set up that Greekskii shows in his pic... I suppose that the extra stiffness and the overweighted base holds the pop up more rigidly giving a better presentation... I've noticed using the stock multi-rig, that as the bait takes on water it tends to keel over lessening that "cocked and ready" presentation...!

35 minutes ago, bluelabel said:

I've noticed using the stock multi-rig, that as the bait takes on water it tends to keel over lessening that "cocked and ready" presentation...!

That's the fault of the hookbait, not the rig. Any rig will droop if the pop up is poor. A decent pop up will fix this mate.

Yeah that's the baits fault. Buy better pop ups. 

My combi rig style I think works in a similar way to a stiff hinge. The stripped back coating behind the putty allows it to flip all over the place and the stiff material allows it to catch the carps mouth much more effectively. 

I don't always overweight it but found better hookholds when it is. Even on tench and bream. 

2 hours ago, bluelabel said:

So there's nothing really against the notion...! I like the set up that Greekskii shows in his pic... I suppose that the extra stiffness and the overweighted base holds the pop up more rigidly giving a better presentation... I've noticed using the stock multi-rig, that as the bait takes on water it tends to keel over lessening that "cocked and ready" presentation...!

2 hours ago, yonny said:

That's the fault of the hookbait, not the rig. Any rig will droop if the pop up is poor. A decent pop up will fix this mate.

1 hour ago, greekskii said:

Yeah that's the baits fault. Buy better pop ups. 

My combi rig style I think works in a similar way to a stiff hinge. The stripped back coating behind the putty allows it to flip all over the place and the stiff material allows it to catch the carps mouth much more effectively. 

I don't always overweight it but found better hookholds when it is. Even on tench and bream. 

I stopped piercing pop-ups as I found some would take on water faster. I attach mine by putting them in a loop, then tying it to the ring or hair loop.

On 8/25/2017 at 14:16, salokcinnodrog said:

I stopped piercing pop-ups as I found some would take on water faster.

That's the sign of a poor pop up IMO buddy. I usually use cork balls (and pierce them) but the Proper Job Pop Ups are good for piercing. They do an attractor package for pretty much any situation too.