Budget Carp Rods

The bearings in the TLD range of multipliers has dropped considerably since they first came out , talk to any charter skipper that uses them for rod/ reel hire , its probably a marketing strategy   , make a reel last a couple of years or so then buy new again , then repeat

I can (just about) recall the release of the original Biomaster and Ultegra surf reels on the UK market. White body Biomaster and sort of pinky/silvery body Ultegra. IIRC these had the same width spools as today and there were no 50mm rings then. This was mid to late 90's. The spools did get deeper along the way mind.

Saying that, I haven't used 50mm rings. I asked for Fuji K series on my new rods, the design negates the need to go mahoosive on the ring side

Edited by pooter

11 hours ago, smufter said:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREYS-UNIVERSAL-LINE-CLIPS-X-3-CARP-FISHING-ROD-CLIP-FIT-ON-ANY-CARP-ROD-1325585-/112405047540?hash=item1a2bdce8f4:g:SD0AAOSw44BYK1ch

There you go.

Pack of three (ooerrrrr!).

I used them on some rods I had without clips and they work perfectly.

cheers smufter , I have these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardner-Tackle-Sensi-Clips-Rod-Line-Clips-Carp-Barbel-Pike-Coarse-Fishing/172032622118?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43782%26meid%3D4b2a0843a282499ca623cb77d2a2bfd7%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D112405047540

and find them ok , but where the whipping is on the rod just in front of the real seat /handle is where I would want the clip , if i put the clip over the whipping then the clip part does'nt touch the rod ...  

thinking about the 50mm rings I'm sure they are not standard on the warriors , I think 50mm rings was only offered on these rods from total tackle .on the water I'm fishing I defiantly dont need to cast that far , but maybe in the future  

dave 

1 hour ago, DEANO30 said:

I have been float fishing the margins since my first session using corn and a single ssg shot and a small clear waggler lift float style and have caught many carp over the years doing this ... not had a sniff accept 1 aborted but i suspect this was more of a line bite than a carp picking up the bait.

1 hour ago, DEANO30 said:

Im using pop ups on tiny stiff hinge rigs the lake has muscles on the bottom ... and they have a leader ban on all the waters the one im fishing has no snags whatsoever im not even a fan of leaders but when common sense prevails.

Now I'm confused.

Ok, soap and rocks it is.

1 hour ago, cloud9 said:

thinking about the 50mm rings I'm sure they are not standard on the warriors , I think 50mm rings was only offered on these rods from total tackle .on the water I'm fishing I defiantly dont need to cast that far , but maybe in the future  

dave 

Evening Dave.... think this is where some may get confused & have seen it on here before, when some was asking about just changing the butt ring to a 50mm , it's a complete ring set .... 50 / 40 / 30 / 25 /20/ 16  . Changing just the butt ring to 50 mm would cause major issues  on the second eye .

I would only personally buy a rod with 50mm rings sets if it has been designed to be used with them , not a rod that has multiple options.

The depth of ring off the rod can have a huge baring on how the rod performs through its test curve / playing & casting action . 

Just chucking a set of bigger rings on a rod will probably make it cast worse that with the eyes it was designed to use . So bare that in mind if you are ever in the market for new rods .

If there's an option of 40 or 50 go with 40 every time as the rod has probably had very little testing with a set of 50's on it . 

8 minutes ago, pooter said:

Just talk to Kevin Baines (Anglers Workshop) and see what he has to say. He does build rods too, you don't see many second hand, does that say something?He's also recommended by Steve Harrison.

Completely different scenario with custom rods builders to off the shelf bulk manufacturer , they should advise you on what suits the blank of choice, but can make allowances with eye position. 

13 minutes ago, pooter said:

They're not wrong though are they?

Who ? 

This is a budget rods thread , Dave mentioned the fox warrior & an  option of 50 mm , my response was to that fella .  I doubt that series of rods has had any testing with 50mm sets & would choose 40 every time .

And that goes back to the original question, why 50mm eyes? It's a fad, nothing more than that. I've got original LC's, big,fat spool and cast fine with 40mm on my older Armalite SP's. I bet any money anyone less than a tournaments caster won't make a beans worth of difference.

1 hour ago, chillfactor said:

Evening Dave.... think this is where some may get confused & have seen it on here before, when some was asking about just changing the butt ring to a 50mm , it's a complete ring set .... 50 / 40 / 30 / 25 /20/ 16  . Changing just the butt ring to 50 mm would cause major issues  on the second eye .

I would only personally buy a rod with 50mm rings sets if it has been designed to be used with them , not a rod that has multiple options.

The depth of ring off the rod can have a huge baring on how the rod performs through its test curve / playing & casting action . 

Just chucking a set of bigger rings on a rod will probably make it cast worse that with the eyes it was designed to use . So bare that in mind if you are ever in the market for new rods .

If there's an option of 40 or 50 go with 40 every time as the rod has probably had very little testing with a set of 50's on it . 

your probably right there chilly mate  , only built to be a little different and gain a few more sales , I'll get them out and have a look at the rest of the rings I dont think there is a major step between the butt and second ring , It could be that the whole rod has been ringed with the next size up set , but to be honest with my fishing I'm not really going to notice the difference between a 40 mm ring set or a 50mm , after all these are in the budget range of rods and I'm not expecting nor really wanting a high performance rod for what they cost , I cant justify spending £300/£400 on a single rod for my style fishing , I'm happy to just be fishing its not all about the catching for me .......I do respect those that do go hunting for that special fish and money is no object in that pursuit for those guys that can , but for me there has to be a balance

dave  

A similar thread that's very recent (the title escapes me) is available for you to read, I'm sure one of the other guys can give you a link to it.

shimano tribal velocity's are worth a look around that money.

good luck, and welcome to the forum

5 hours ago, welder said:

Outcasts are based on blanks from Greys. If you Dad likes your rods I'd guess he'll like the Outcasts. Just a thought....

Ian

Despite now using Velocity's, I love my Outkasts and will never get rid of them.
I have the 11' "Small Water" versions (2.25's) and they have never let me down. Feather light, they could be held all day for stalking or floater fishing if required, and they have a wonderful fish playing action. 
They are best suited for using with small leads (up to about 1.5oz) but are not really happy if I load them up with a PVA bag, hence getting the Tribals. The lake I now fish requires longer chucks to reach certain fish holding spots and PVA bags seem to be the order of the day.
I had to shop around for 11' Velocity's as I prefer this length, and in the end had to get them from Holland as UK stocks had disappeared.
Had I wanted 12' rods I would have had no hesitation in going for Outkasts in a higher test curve.