What carp rods?

Thanks for the replies 

I don't think 200 to £300 is expensive considering you buy decent gear and look after it, it will last you a very long time. I've bought cheap gear when I 1st started carp fishing about 16 years ago and it was stinky winky.

I've had my last set of Rods at least 10 years and they was £150 a rod if I remember correctly.

4 minutes ago, Big Common said:

Without a doubt John, if you buy decent kit and look after it, then it should do the job for a long time to come. Everything is relative I suppose.  Personally I can't afford to spend that much, but if I could, then I most definitely would. Good luck with the search mate.

My last set of new rods I actually dropped in price:shock:

I think my NG's were just over £650 for the three and custom built to my specs.

The last rods were RH The Ones and cost a whole lot less, although Rod Hutchinson going back to Italy and out of the U.K. Angling scene meant I got a very good deal.

I think in terms of value many items of tackle have actually dropped in price, although the top manufacturers like Century who insist on staying British built have stayed higher.

If I was looking at casting rods then it would be Century SP's, whereas as an all rounder I would go back to NG's.

11 hours ago, Big Common said:

Hi Nick, you class the NG's as an all rounder but what kind of distance could you achieve if you had to?  Reel and lead size taken into account would you say 100 to 110 with a bit of welly. £650 doesn't sound too bad for some custom built Century's.

I was hitting around 115 maybe slightly further, but not much more. I paced out from the overhanging trees to the left of the sluice from the Gravels at Nazeing, and walked the line out to be sure. 

I know with Shimano DL10000's and 15lb line I could only get 90, but changing to Beastmaster 7000's added at least 20. I was also using 3oz leads, with a single or double bait stringer. Any more and the cast went awry when trying to go for it!

I could feel the difference between whacking it out with my old SP's which did 120 with ease.

Amazing what you can do with a phone call to get your specifications sorted at Century.