Looking for a Decent carp fishing set

Hi Guys, New guy here looking to pick some of your brains.

Haven't been carp fishing since my Grandad passed (10+ Years now) but looking to get back into it for old time sake.

Since I haven't fished or looked at tackle for such a long time I am out of the loop with all the best brands and gear.

I'm basically looking for a 2 Rod setup with Pod/Bivvy etc. Both rods will be using Method/cage feeders so no float setups please. The Lakes I want to fish have carp around the 30 - 40LB mark so want to get a suitable set so it doesn't get broken on first cast/bite.

Could anyone suggest a decent Kit from amazon (If decent kits exist on there) or direct me to a site where such things do exist.

My budget is £100-200 but could stretch it slightly if nothing suitable is within that price range.

Thanks in advance for your help.

- James

I am afraid that bivvystreet has it spot on.

If you buy cheap or combo type outfits I absolutely know that if you get hooked on this absorbing hobby you will be replacing everything as soon as possible.

If in doubt get the best you possibly can and don't be afraid to go secondhand because if you don't fall in love with the fishing quality can always sell (after all you bought it ! )

As with cars bikes women and golf clubs quality always holds its value better.

Cheers

Ian

I honestly do not think that £200 is enough for a full set-up, even if you do go secondhand, and actually I would not trust secondhand as you don't know how much abuse it has taken.

Next thing, while Amazon may give you 'bargains', there is nothing better than going into a tackle shop and having a good feel, to get what is right for you, and hopefully a good tackle shop will give you advice and opinions without hard sell, especially when it comes to rods, although putting a reel on...

Reels you may be able to pick up a bargain online, Shimano or Daiwa reels are always an easy option, ST's or DL's in the Shimano, although I can't remember the Daiwa numbers.

You also have alarms, indicators and all your end tackle, which can make a dent in your money very quickly, even if you get budget alarms, and bivvy prices are probably around £100 alone, and an Oval Umbrella is £80 minimum which you can add overwrap to later.

There are various tackle shops online, if you google Shimano ST or Shimano DL you will soon bring up goodness knows how many tackle shops that deal online, and it is no great shakes to expand your search while in the website to include rods as well.

I have to agree that 200 quid simply isn't enough to set you up for carp angling - definitely not if you're looking to fish for 30s and 40s safely.

There are normally plenty of full set-ups going second hand on ebay but even then you'll be looking at about 500 quid minimum, and that will be low to mid range quality kit at best. Worth a look though, I do see some mega bargains from time to time.

It pains me to say it but it's not cheap this carp angling game....

Welcome to the forum, 2.75 tc is generally accepted as the standard all round weight for a carp rod, but if you're going to be using method feeders all the time and fishing at distance you may want to consider a 3 lb tc.  A good 2.75 rod will do it, so personal preference, matching suitable reels comes in and here is where visiting tackle shops and playing with their merchandise is useful.  Make a few friends on here and go fishing and look at their stuff, could save you some time.

Ok Buzzbomb, I think I will go with 3.0 TC Then Thanks for your advice, Has anyone used or have an Opinion on Shimano Alivio DX Specimen rods? Do you think they would be able to cope with a 30lb fish on the other end?

Welcome to the forum, 2.75 tc is generally accepted as the standard all round weight for a carp rod, but if you're going to be using method feeders all the time and fishing at distance you may want to consider a 3 lb tc.  A good 2.75 rod will do it, so personal preference, matching suitable reels comes in and here is where visiting tackle shops and playing with their merchandise is useful.  Make a few friends on here and go fishing and look at their stuff, could save you some time.

Edited by JamessLU

A mate of mine used some of the Alivio range a few years ago think it was the Alivio BX's at the time, but mostly for pike. When I had a play with them I felt that they were better for pike fishing than carp fishing, although I haven't used the new DX's even though I sell them at work.

Shimano are top reel manufacturers, although Mick and I at work both think their rods are 'not quite right'.

2.75lb TC should be ok for most fishing in this country, but as said heavy Method feeders may be better on a 3.0, although I did fish Ardleigh reservoir doing exactly that with 2.75 Century SP's and had no problems.

Basically it depends on the rod and manufacturer quality. I wouldn't try it with more budget range rods on the lighter test curve as you could be overloading them!