leaders?

hey guys,

Leaders, do you use them? how often? for what reason?

im asking because like my lead dropping thread i think a few opinions on the subject may enlighten both novice and experienced angler alike.

keeno.

Here you go lazy boy :) :) :):wink:

https://forum.carp.com/topic/3936-leader-or-not/page-1

thanks newmarket. the info isnt really for me, more of an educational thread on why/when/how leaders should be used. for me dropping the lead was what i had been told was best for the fish, i soon learnt otherwise by posting here. so i thought some differing opinions on leaders may do the same for others. that looks a great thread ill be sure to have a good read.

Just kidding Tone :)

Leaders ? I would never use one unless fishing at distance , which I don't/can't :) or if there were gravel bars or mussel beds in the vicinity .

I'm not keen on em from a safety aspect or the fact that most of em stick out like a sore thumb .

Same goes for tubing

Mainline camouflaged much better imo

Edited by newmarket

On the first page of that it talks about lifting scales without a leader and the question is asked if anyone ever lifted a scale when surface fishing. Interestingly, yes, I have lifted scales when fishing off the top.... I lifted a couple of scales of a very pretty and very large mirror carp (my surface caught PB in fact). That's never happened to me when fishing on the deck.

But that isn't necessarily why I use leaders when fishing on the deck. 

I always use leaders; to pin down the end tackle and provide solid abrasion resistance for the weedy waters of the Valley. Using heavy fluoro at the mo, just over a meter of it. The Korda No-Trace bead thingys really eliminate any safety issue IMO.

I've just moved to a bigger lake where I feel it necessary to use a leader because I haven't done any distance casting for some years now and I'm a little rusty. Because of this, I've felt better using a 45 to 50lb leader straight through. I'm not a fan of using shockleaders then a leadcore or whatever leader at the end, I just think there's to many knots. However for solid pva bags I feel it's a necessary evil, especially when your trying to reach distances of 80 yards plus.

i was reading a thread about fishing with braid, this is what prompted my thoughts on the saftey side of leader. in the thread (please dont ask me to find it, im allergic to the search button  :roll: ) people were saying when using braid that you should always use a hooklink of a lower breaking strain, this makes absolute sense when you think about t a break in the link, the hooklink would go before the braid. when you look at leaders, leadcore or safzone are the ones i have experience with, these have breaking strains much higher than any hooklink or line a carp angler should ever need to use. i remember when i first got into fishing everyone seemed to be using these leaders for 99% of their fishing, this was the free dvd ear so im sure that had something to do with it. in fact most of the guys ive seen fishing still are. just wanted to see others thoughts on this.

Keeno

I'd just like to point out,

You'll never exert more than 5lbs of pressure through a rod, unless your pulling for a break.

Try it yourself, get a pair of scales and put a full bend in your rod, I'd be very surprised if you got over 3.5lbs of pressure.

I like stronger braids, because they are usually thicker in construction, some of the braids these days are so thin they are like cheese wire. Supple hooklinks, I'm still using dacron because it's thicker than most others, it's another reason I always like using kickers or shrink tube, not only does it give your hook the position you want but it keeps a potential cheese wire away from a fishy's mouth.

Edited by Gazlaaar

Jeez, that's some going that is fella.

I don't dare hit anything that hard with no leader.

Tbh I could probably go further with it but that's what I was clipped up to mate . Did probably 30 or so cast the other night in my paddock not one cracked off so I'm confident in it .... That's coupled with one of the most powerful rods you can buy so it's getting some serious stick . There's no leaders allowed up Horseshoe so it's been a question of finding the right line that can cope with it but still get good distance & trust me I've been through a selection!

I recon it's the best line out there if your looking for the all rounder. Some lines have better casting ability, some sink better and some have a better abrasion. You will not find one that scores as high on all aspects though!!! The line lay is immense as well!

Synergy is 0.3mm in 15lb test! Have a look round and see if you can find anything close to that.

I recon it's the best line out there if your looking for the all rounder. Some lines have better casting ability, some sink better and some have a better abrasion. You will not find one that scores as high on all aspects though!!! The line lay is immense as well!

Synergy is 0.3mm in 15lb test! Have a look round and see if you can find anything close to that.

I agree it's good stuff , I think it was Ian that recommended it to me ages ago .

Then , when I needed some more it mysteriously became unavailable .

Ok, I don't like leaders, and will not use them unless I have to, usually for distance fishing as a shock leader.

However recently on the lagoons recently in some particularly gravelly swims I have had to resort to a 'rubbing' or shock leader to combat the gravel and crays.

If I go into weedy or snaggy swims they come off and I go back to naked as I don't want to risk the chance of a leader snagging and tethering. I would much rather the hooklink swivel to mainline knot gave way so the maximum the fish is carrying around is a hooklink.

Basically with a leader you transfer the weak point further up the line towards the rod tip, as it is usually the first knot that breaks, not the hook link.

I go back to my run rings, so that the ring can get over the end of the leader, and with no weight on the line the fish can eject the hook.

I do however always worry 'what if the fish got to snags?' before it has ejected the hook, while it is trailing a leader.

Keeno

I'd just like to point out,

You'll never exert more than 5lbs of pressure through a rod, unless your pulling for a break.

Try it yourself, get a pair of scales and put a full bend in your rod, I'd be very surprised if you got over 3.5lbs of pressure.

I like stronger braids, because they are usually thicker in construction, some of the braids these days are so thin they are like cheese wire. Supple hooklinks, I'm still using dacron because it's thicker than most others, it's another reason I always like using kickers or shrink tube, not only does it give your hook the position you want but it keeps a potential cheese wire away from a fishy's mouth.

Kevin Maddocks tested this for Carp Fever, he actually struck with a friend holding the hook at ranges and a spring balance to test the pressure put on.

Sufix Synergy, a very good line, however Sufix are owned or branded by Shimano, which creates a problem as Shimano also brand and sell their own fishing line, so the subsidiaries tend to lose out. Just to prove this sorry here is the Sufix webpage, check your region:

www.sufix.com

This may mean that some Sufix line being sold now may be older stock!

As an addition to this, I have tested Shimano Specimen line and it won't get put on my reels.

Owned? Branded? Try distributed. It used to be distributed by Gardner also.

Old stock - I have some spools that I bought in bulk when Gardner stopped distributing it a number of years ago. I was fearful that I might not be able to get hold of any so stockpiled it. I respooled a couple of weeks back with one of them and it's grand. Stored out of sunlight in my shed, so I'm sure it will be ok!

Tbh Nick I couldn't give two hoots what you say about it as I don't listen to what others say .... I test things my self & this line can with stand me giving it some proper stick with heavy leads & no leader . So no need to apologise!

Calm down!

My point wasn't aimed at it being rubbish you plonker, it was that Sufix lines may not be easy to get hold of when existing stocks are gone.

It is UV that kills line so storing it out of sunlight it should be ok, although I must admit 12years may be stretching it.

Again

It's another reason why I use this set up when ever I'm using leaders.

20160725_062306_zpsmb2zq4hi.jpg

I think I mentioned before, it depends which camp your from, either dump the lead or not, I choose not too.

The bottom section is a 2 inch loop, the tube is shrunk over the knot forming the loop, then a bead is placed neatly over the tube.

The tube has no chance of moving, only the bead.

The swivel is an ESP big eye swivel so it will pass easily over any knots.

This system also serves a couple of other purposes.

I can take off the rig and lead, and attach a lead for leading around, a spomb or spod for getting a little bait in, plus a little break away lead for clearing little spots or seeing which kind of weed your fishing over.

I only have two rods, it's all I can afford, so they have to cover a multitude of tasks.

Edited by Gazlaaar