Self takes advice

Hiya was just wondering on the best way to do self takes and what stuff will i need as i havnt a clue on camera and want something not to expensive cheers

if you have a good camera on your phone i can tell you a way that will cost you less than £15.

1) get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262467070101

2) download an app called 'whistle cam' from your app store

3) clip the swan neck to a bucket and insert your phone, put phone in selfie mode on camera and check your position in relation.

4) when ready for piccy you put phone in holder and start whistle cam, pose, whistle and wait 3 secs.

5) done :wink:

if you hadn't already guessed it is called whistle cam cos you activate it by whistling a sharp rising note :lol:

oh and by the way, welcome to the forum :wink:

Edited by cyborx

The advice above is spot on but there will be a limit to the quality of your shots.

Basically when it comes to photography the more you spend the better the shots you will get. If you look around you can pick up an older Canon G series compact for relatively cheap, these will give you much better shots. My advice would be to buy an intervalometer as well - this is basically an add-on self-timer that provides an external actuation of the shutter meaning the camera can auto-focus between shots (absolutely critical to decent self takes).

You can get very good pics on a budget if you know what to look for.

if you have a good camera on your phone i can tell you a way that will cost you less than £15.

1) get one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262467070101

2) download an app called 'whistle cam' from your app store

3) clip the swan neck to a bucket and insert your phone, put phone in selfie mode on camera and check your position in relation.

4) when ready for piccy you put phone in holder and start whistle cam, pose, whistle and wait 3 secs.

5) done :wink:

if you hadn't already guessed it is called whistle cam cos you activate it by whistling a sharp rising note :lol:

oh and by the way, welcome to the forum :wink:

Have a look at "cameratimer" so basically i can select to wait X seconds then take a photo every x seconds for x amount of photos. I usually find that better the having to clap or whistle or stuff like that.

Have a look at "cameratimer" so basically i can select to wait X seconds then take a photo every x seconds for x amount of photos. I usually find that better the having to clap or whistle or stuff like that.

they are all good in their own way, i just suggested that one as i find it easy to just pose and then whistle, then whistle again if you feel you need a better shot or a different angle. horses for courses really :wink:

they are all good in their own way, i just suggested that one as i find it easy to just pose and then whistle, then whistle again if you feel you need a better shot or a different angle. horses for courses really :wink:

I cant whistle so i would be screwed. I used to use a "clap one" where i could just cough and it would take the picture.

Some good advice so far, especially from Steveo with the vid screen shot, but I will go back to basics.

I do NOT think that you can get a good self take with a camera phone, unless you have a screw in adaptor that fits your bankstick or tripod.

I do not have a remote trigger or button for my camera, and as far as I know my Fuji Finepix A330 does not support one, although I can connect it to my computer and Ipad to download pics.

I would think that most basic Finepix cameras are the same.

I keep on thinking to get better photographic equipment, it is money I am wary of spending, but I would be looking at the Canon Eos range of cameras, either new or secondhand. I would also be adding a remote trigger, probably a knee or hand squeeze air bulb, because that is what I am comfortable with, not a whistle or clap.

As I mentioned in the July Catches thread I frame the area I am going to take pictures of, you can see behind me and that tench, I have a camou screen; that is the top of my picture, then one side is side of the bivvy, the other the end of the unhooking mat or cradle.

This means when I arrive at the lake I position my bankstick with camera adaptor fitted and attach my camera so that my area is ready to photograph. In this case to check the focus, I used my chair as a focussing point. Then so it does not add to thieving temptation or get weather damaged I take the camera off and keep it safe in my bivvy. It is the work of a few seconds to rescrew it in the event of a fish. :wink:

I now actually use a Nikon D3200 dslr camera with a tripod stand and bulb remote.

i went down the mat shots with the phone and progressed thru whistlecam and finally got to where i am now (just have to remember to charge the damn battery lol)

but i do have literally hundreds of really good shots from my phone samsung s5 gives you 16 mp with auto focus and hdr so quality is not an issue unless you intend to frame them :lol:

Buy a cheap Canon point and shoot camera on ebay. Down load the free CHDK (canon hack development kit) from the web (just google for info). You will then be able to program your camera to do anything you want including an intervalometer with bracketed shots. I paid £5 for an ixus 50 and have been using it for years to do self takes.

I just take my phone out of the case,put it in a tight butt grip Take a "ghost" shot and hey presto ya sorted.

you really wanna be careful doing that stevo, if you have a really good sneeze the phone could shoot out of the grip in your butt and end up in the lake mate buttgrip_zpsfpj5hlfx.jpg  imagespuzzled_zpsmlou2lqt.jpg

Edited by cyborx