non floating baits

hey guys,

my current lake doesnt allow floating baits, zigs are fine but no floating pellets, that kind of thing. the lake has become more pressured over the last couple of years. 99% of people i see there are bottom bait fishing weather it be particle, pop ups, wafters ect. ive seen a few spodding but very few. in my tackle box ive got a korda controller float and im itching to give it a go. on my last trip i tried zigging for the first time, had a run from it so will be dedicating a lot more time to that. but im wondering if there is a presentation/bait i could use using a carp float that would work, but obviously without using a floating bait. ive been looking at the nash critters thinking that could work, but as for size/pattern of hook i have no idea.

while this may be an obvious answer i have never attempted anything like this. and yes, maggots have obviously crossed my mind but this venue is plagued by smaller species.

How big is your controller float ? If it's a smaller sized one you could try a Giz ? A boilie fished a few inches below the surface ?

A zig just below the surface would probably be far more effective though as would plain old straightforward float fishing .

A controller float is obviously designed for floater fishing so if you want to try it out that badly then you really need to find a lake that allows it :wink:

How big is your controller float ? If it's a smaller sized one you could try a Giz ? A boilie fished a few inches below the surface ?

A zig just below the surface would probably be far more effective though as would plain old straightforward float fishing .

A controller float is obviously designed for floater fishing so if you want to try it out that badly then you really need to find a lake that allows it :wink:

thats a good point, but this lake states no floating baits, doesnt state no float, so was hoping to capitalize on the loop hole and give the fish something they havent see before. i have seen a youtube video where a couple of guys were using one of the huge ball cat floats with a worm suspeneded in this same lake. was thinking along them lines, no idea what they are called.

What about a gardener suspender float? If you use a stiff hook link and small sinking bait it will actually hold it on the surface, you'll have to faf about with hook link length etc... it's not too much grief though. But I'd think you'd be pushing the rules to far though! [emoji39]

Actually what Newmarket said go standard float near the surface. I'd say a lump of paste or meshed luncheon meat. Is that rule because of bird life? Birds don't go near the gardener suspender [emoji41]

What about a gardener suspender float? If you use a stiff hook link and small sinking bait it will actually hold it on the surface, you'll have to faf about with hook link length etc... it's not too much grief though. But I'd think you'd be pushing the rules to far though! [emoji39]

Actually what Newmarket said go standard float near the surface. I'd say a lump of paste or meshed luncheon meat. Is that rule because of bird life? Birds don't go near the gardener suspender [emoji41]

Will it suspend with a sinking bait though Neal ?

I asked the baliff why tho rule was In place, he said he didn't want the fish getting used to floating baits as it may end up similar to a koi pond, the carp may become accustomed to people hand feeding. Not something I've ever heard before. Edited by Dovii

thats a good point, but this lake states no floating baits, doesnt state no float, so was hoping to capitalize on the loop hole and give the fish something they havent see before. i have seen a youtube video where a couple of guys were using one of the huge ball cat floats with a worm suspeneded in this same lake. was thinking along them lines, no idea what they are called.

Neal beat me to the suspender float idea, you can put a boilie on it and then you adjust the height of the bait by the simple expedient of tightening down or slacking up, this will have the effect of holding the bait in the surface film or just under, up to you.

have a good look at the rules first tho as it will be no good arguing with the bailiff if the rule states 'no surface baits'.

here is the float in action bud.

Yes defo can get a sinking bait to hold just under surface.

Have got to say dovii a standard zig sounds the way to go, surely as others use pop ups the floating bait on a zig is acceptable as long as its under the surface?

yes mate zigs to appear to be the way forward on  this lake, was just looking for something new. i tried the nash zig bugs on my last day on the last session, had a run but lost the fish. i think ill just stick with these. got a 5 day session in a couple of weeks and was open to trying something new.

Pellet waggler, fished pellet waggler style might work.

Use one of your lighter rods if you have one, just keep catapulting (or throwing) a few pellets in to get the fish up in the water, fish your hook bait around 1 metre (3ft) deep to begin with and keep adjusting the depth (normally shallowing up) until you find them, 12mm pellets should keep the smaller fish out of the way.

It's a fun and very active way of fishing, and you can often see the activity of the fish coming up in the water, do not entertain the idea if wildlife is a problem since you will only train the wildlife to eat all of your bait.

Pellet wagglers are short stumpy things so you can fish really shallow. I prefer loaded ones so that the pellet c ocks the float. 6 and 8g cast really well, but if you're using a heavy rod, you might want a slightly heavier one - obviously depending on distance fished.

AVV39Js.jpg

Seen that happen at Castle Ashby still does, on the commy you wont catch anythng unless you use floating trout pellets bucketed in, the fish are conditioned not to feed on the bottom, sensible baillif, try looking at the bagging waggler, groundbait ball with your bait suspended below if its a commy you are fishing.

Interesting CM but surely the hand feeding is a bit far!!

In this situation I'd prefer to use and an adjustable zig and cast to the fish on the surface as I would if using a controller setup then once in place tweak your zig so it pops just under the surface film, this way you can cast all over the place without the need to keep lengthening and shortening the zig hook link

This could work great with something like these
b35fcf983d41681b6efcb35d1a665c6ed4d143ed