Zig rig

Reedy11

Very interesting thread lads, I'm committing myself to 1 rod at least on Zigs for the whole of this year, and more when appropriate.

Slight difference, I'm tying bugs of all different shapes, colours and sizes, to see if I can produce some kind of reaction as the lake is clear weedy and fairly low stock with a huge variety of natural food. It's critter city down there!

For interest, so far in the first 2 night session with the zig rod I've had 2 takes on the bugs, at above middle 3rd, one on a large bold Green one, middle of the day and one on a Day-Glo Yellow about an hour before dark. Bright warm weather, last weekend.

I got back this weekend, fishing an easyish venue with my brother. It's only his third time fishing for carp, as he's usually a float or feeder angler. We had 24 between us, 19 coming to zigs or on the surface.

We were fishing in 11 foot of water with adjustable zigs, spombing riser pellet and and a small amount of mixers over the top every 15-20 mins. We'd start picking them off with the zigs, then every so often they'd get properly up on the surface and we'd pick them up on top. Most people had a handful of fish but looking around we were picking up the most fish and consistently through the day.

We'd find they'd spook after one was caught on the surface but would still pick them up in the upper third on the zigs.

We only had one 5 minute spell where the gulls twigged the riser, apart from that, despite flying over constantly they didn't get down on the food.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by androoooo

I'm committing myself to 1 rod at least on Zigs for the whole of this year, and more when appropriate

That's exactly the decision I made a couple of years ago and it's worked wonders for me.

p.s. That moment of realisation when I see you're the same fella as on the other forum lol....

So I tried zigs last session with no luck but I'm going to stick with it! I found its hard to know exactly how far it is under the surface without a marker rod or a zig float, I chose not to use the float from this thread as the water is only about 4 ft deep (not sure exactly), one thing I found is because the line is so tight through the water the alarm even on low sensitivity bleeps a lot, not sure if it's liners or finicky takes, with zigs will you guys only hit it when it screams off?

So I tried zigs last session with no luck but I'm going to stick with it! I found its hard to know exactly how far it is under the surface without a marker rod or a zig float, I chose not to use the float from this thread as the water is only about 4 ft deep (not sure exactly), one thing I found is because the line is so tight through the water the alarm even on low sensitivity bleeps a lot, not sure if it's liners or finicky takes, with zigs will you guys only hit it when it screams off?

Think you're not setting your alarms effectively bud - you should get zero false indication on a tight line.

You get some funny old takes on zigs, if you wait for the rod to tear off you'll miss loads of bites.

You really don't need to know exactly how far under the surface it is. As long as you know the depth (which you should do if you're planning on fishing zigs) just guesstimate the length of the hooklink. A couple of inches here and there make no difference IMO.

If you're getting indication just glance at the rod tip, it'll bounce (at a minimum) if there's a carp involved.

Think you're not setting your alarms effectively bud - you should get zero false indication on a tight line.

You get some funny old takes on zigs, if you wait for the rod to tear off you'll miss loads of bites.

You really don't need to know exactly how far under the surface it is. As long as you know the depth (which you should do if you're planning on fishing zigs) just guesstimate the length of the hooklink. A couple of inches here and there make no difference IMO.

If you're getting indication just glance at the rod tip, it'll bounce (at a minimum) if there's a carp involved.

Thanks mate makes sense maybe I did get quite a lot of bites then and ignored it because the rods didn't scream off, I did hit it a couple of times with no luck though, will keep an eye on the rod tip next time

This tactic really is a head messer I just look at it and think how? But clearly it is very effective way of fishing sometimes,I have had a few dabbles with the zig but never really had any luck but after reading this thread I will definitely be giving it a proper go this year.

A great read everyone well done.

Was on a social this weekend and put my mate on zigs (he'd never used them) and he had one straight away.

I could only catch off the deck at night in the warm temps, all my fish in the day came to zigs. They really do transform your angling in certain conditions.

• 3 weeks later...