Your favourite rig

starbaits

Plain Basic Line aligner for bottom baits, and D-Rig for Pop-ups.

Pics on this Sticky:

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?p=276520#276520

Plus I have put StarBaits line aligner on there as well.

If anyone else has any Rig Pics they want put up then I'll do it for them, just PM me the pics and they'll go straight up

Plus I have put StarBaits line aligner on there as well.

Does that mean you like my rig :?:

Didn't say I liked it :wink::lol: , but its your pic and the rig you used. Therefore its worth putting it up in the Sticky :wink:

Blow back rig for bottom baits

Question for you using Blowback rigs. I know that there are times when you get "sussed", but every time you get sussed with a Hair rig then the rig is still suitable to catch. If you get sussed with a Blowback rig and have no indication, then you could have a rig that is no longer able to catch fish until you recast at next reeling in time.

Doesn't that thought put you off using them?

Question for you using Blowback rigs. I know that there are times when you get "sussed", but every time you get sussed with a Hair rig then the rig is still suitable to catch. If you get sussed with a Blowback rig and have no indication, then you could have a rig that is no longer able to catch fish until you recast at next reeling in time.

If the carp are suckers as opposed to pickers, surely as they inhale the bait, the blowback rig and bait is repositioned for the rig to work to its design ?

If the carp are suckers as opposed to pickers, surely as they inhale the bait, the blowback rig and bait is repositioned for the rig to work to its design ?

Not if the original, as it was designed with a piece of Silicone on the Hook Shank, the hair won't go back into place.

Even if its tied up with a Rig Ring on the shank once its been blown and ejected and possibly "marked" as dangerous then the Carp may totally leave that bait alone. Yet another fish comes in with a Standard Hair then that "blown" bait will still be effective if it gets picked/sucked up.

The other thing about it, say you have a Carp, or even other fish, wave its tail fin hard, and the Bait gets moved, it could move up against the silicone and the rig could then be rendered useless. At least with an ordinary Hair rig the Bait would still be able to be taken in.

If you used a D-rig, suitable for both Bottom and Pop-ups, then you have a rig that would work if the bait was sucked or picked up, or ejected and sucked later.

By the way, I have been playing in the kitchen sink and working on that theory above. To get the suction I was using a Syringe, so although I could not get the power of a Carp Suck I did have something that did move the water, bait and hook in the vicinity of the rig.

To simulate Pick-up feeding Carp i did resort to fingers around the bait, and with the silicon Blowback, the hook hang funny on pick up. To force the Bait and hook out over the finger thumb loop I used the syringe again, and didn't always get hook-ups!

The D-rig had far better hooking properties after a rejected bait for sucking and picking up.

Even if its tied up with a Rig Ring on the shank once its been blown and ejected and possibly "marked" as dangerous then the Carp may totally leave that bait alone. Yet another fish comes in with a Standard Hair then that "blown" bait will still be effective if it gets picked/sucked up.

The other thing about it, say you have a Carp, or even other fish, wave its tail fin hard, and the Bait gets moved, it could move up against the silicone and the rig could then be rendered useless. At least with an ordinary Hair rig the Bait would still be able to be taken in.

If you used a D-rig, suitable for both Bottom and Pop-ups, then you have a rig that would work if the bait was sucked or picked up, or ejected and sucked later.

Cant say I fully agree with you on this one, you've not put me off using the blow back rig with ring. A blown rig would be no less effective IMO and no different from the position of the blown bait on a D ring (bait up near the eye).

Look forward to your comeback :wink:

Cant say I fully agree with you on this one, you've not put me off using the blow back rig with ring. A blown rig would be no less effective IMO and no different from the position of the blown bait on a D ring (bait up near the eye).

Look forward to your comeback :wink:

lol,

No problem Mate, each and every one to his own.

The thing I think with a D-rig is it covers both types of feeding, sucking and blowing. Also even if the rig is ejected, then because the Ring on the D is free sliding, it is able to work if the bait has been blown back to the eye end of the loop. Yet with silicon on the shank it is unable to be reset. Note I diferentiate between using silicon and a sliding ring. A blowback rig with the free-sliding ring, imo, has the same potential as the D-rig

So with a sucking fish and the Bait back near the eye, its sucked and moves back into position at the bend of the hook.

With a fish that picks the bait up, being as the weight of the hooklink will be heavier than the bend again it will slide back into position.

Then in either case on ejection it will be wherever it lands as the hook is ejected.

I'm not saying that it will hook more fish, but if it is ejected then it will always be ready to hook, whereas a Blow-back with silicon may not.

Nice one big fella - I use without silicon so agree with you that both have great hooking properties even after being blown.

So we are of the same mind! :lol:

Good to stir conversation though :wink:

Like you say with the silicon in place like a float rubber as in Nash's In Persuit - once blown it wouldn't return, which he uses to check whether he has been blown or not, which is good in that respect but not in terms of leaving it out for another take.

Nice one big fella - I use without silicon so agree with you that both have great hooking properties even after being blown.

So we are of the same mind! :lol:

Good to stir conversation though :wink:

Like you say with the silicon in place like a float rubber as in Nash's In Persuit - once blown it wouldn't return, which he uses to check whether he has been blown or not, which is good in that respect but not in terms of leaving it out for another take.

No arguments with what you are saying and yes it did make us both think, so its a definite valid point.

Like you I think that the silicon on the shank will tell you if a rig has been blown and ejected. Yet what happens if, for example, the hookbait is taken and ejected within an hour of it being cast in. You receive no bleeps or other indication, yet the rig is still out there for another 6/7hours overnight. You have rig that will not be effectively fishing for those 6hours.

I may not have the indication with the D-rig or sliding Rig ring, but I still have a rig that is working effectively until I reel in to check/change the bait.

Incidentally I just got back from SWP and was playing with Rigs in the Bivvy and in the margins.

Experimentation again :roll: . Now I rig I know as an effective Carp hooker, failed the Palm Test, did not hook with Bait on as it was dragged across the Palm. It passed the Flip over the thumb test. The same rig sat in the margins I picked up, the hook swivelled as I dropped the bait and caught me clean in the tip of the thumb drawing blood with a 3oz lead.

Another Rig that I have used with a very clear Line aligner effect and a longish hair failed to even go in, and I was able to pick the rig up on the hookpoint without it being painful using a 3oz lead.

Glad the pair of you sorted out the blowback rig. Have to admit when Nick started mentioning silicon I thought I was doing something wrong but was a bit :oops: to ask :lol:

Not heard of silicon being used in the blowback but I can now understand why you were so negative of the rig Nick.

Can anyone see anything wrong with this :?:

D-Rig.jpg

Thanks

Did it work, does it catch fish?

:wink::lol:

is that for a pop-up? wouldn't use it for bottom baits, the hair wouldn't work in my opinion

Think you may need to study rig mechanics then. :wink:

A double loop made from braid is not normally going to be as stiff as a single strand of Fluoro or mono. The fact that the Hair attached to the loop/ring is overhand knotted is not going to make any difference especially if the bait covers the knot.

D-rigs were originally designed for bottom baits as well. No standard hair with that.

Swimmer rigs were effective with Bottom Baits as well, its only the fact that a pop-up was used and set at a height from the bottom that made.

In fact many Bottom bait rigs make good pop-up rigs and in cases vice versa. The only difference being the counterbalance to hold them down.