Hinged Stiff Rig

crusian

Hi 

I thought I would give a HSR a try .

I've bought a Korda Chod Rig ( 15b Mouthtrap ) with a Sz. 8 barbless Choddy to save time and cost until I've decided this is the rig for me . 

So now what to use for the Boom Section ? .

If I use 10b mainline ( 0.28mm) do I need to use braid ( and if so any particular braid )  , or shall I just stay mono. straight through to the hook section making the whole rig more anti tangle ? .

Ta .

:wink:

Depends on what you want from the rig, and what lead system you'll be fishing it with. A lead clip system with an anti tangle sleeve and tubing over the swivel and something like 12lb flourocarbon mainline or even a semi-stiff coated braid will sit and reset just fine. If you're fishing it on a heli lead or something with more in-tubed swivels or loose movable points you may want a stiff coated braid or a thicker flourocarbon hooklink material to guarantee the boom will kick out straight on the cast and after a pick up.

I would be thinking "what do I want the rig to do in the water, and what will make it do this or not do this" rather than just "what material is commonly used." Also, use a different rig altogether if you want the same effect but the conditions aren't right for it. A variation that has a similar effect that I use a lot is a multi rig made from soft coated braid with the entire single strand section stripped and a small loop for the hook. The double coated section acts as a chod rig, and the rest acts as a supple boom link that will still kick out if a lead isn't dragging it down but will lay over anything. This on a heli lead system will fish over pretty much anything. On a hard bottom I'd want a stiffer boom and a lead clip. Depends. :)

I do believe that Gardner Tackle are now selling ready made Hinged Stiff rigs. Not saying you have to buy them, although I do think Gardner stuff is well made and probably one of the best suppliers of fishing tackle, but they may be worth looking at for 'copying'.

Thanks Nick .

If you are still online I know you use a lot of Kryston products , have you used the Jackel yet please ? .

Ta .

:wink:

I have, and had fish on it. The coating is softer than other Kryston coated braids, and I had to be really careful when tightening knots up to prevent breaking and removing it.

I had a fish go through a snag, when I got it in, the whole length of Jackal had been stripped.

It works out expensive to replace the hooklink every fish, as I usually manage a number of fish on each hook and hooklink.

My favourite Kryston coated braids are Mantis and Snakebite

• 4 weeks later...

Personally I think materials such as mouth trap tends to be too stiff and sits awkwardly over debris. I use 20lb Amnesia myself, and have tried fluorocarbon in the form of both carp fishing marketed ones and fly-fishing tippets and neither seem as strong, as amnesia, when tied in a figure-8 loop knot. I've also had the link snap in the middle when simply straightening it with two bars, when using fluorocarbon on more than one type of material.

The other benefit of using Amnesia is no matter how buckled and kinked it becomes, it nearly always straightens out perfectly.

Edited by jonezy