Willesly lake

I live a stones throw and avoid the place. It has nice pegs, showers, cracking fish and its a stunning venue it just that its hard fishing for little reward. Theres a decent head of lower 20's but you'll do well to get any bigger. Think it only has two 30's

• 1 month later...

I live a stones throw and avoid the place. It has nice pegs, showers, cracking fish and its a stunning venue it just that its hard fishing for little reward. Theres a decent head of lower 20's but you'll do well to get any bigger. Think it only has two 30's

"Cracking fish".

"Hard fishing for little reward".

Were you hoping that the better fish were going to leap onto your unhooking mat? Good grief.....

I'd much sooner target lower 20's at a "stunning venue" than 30's at a muddy hole in the ground.

Ian

I imagine that you mean Horseshoe?

The OP wasn't asking for alternatives to Willesley, he asked if anyone knew anything about the place with a view to doing 48 hours on there.

You immediately assumed that he's looking to catch fish over 30lbs, apparently..............

Ian

What i was simply implying is why fish a lake with a difficulty level that doesn't match the size of fish. If the op is happy to fish a long session for upper doubles with the very thin chance of catching one of the two 30's in there then thats fine, fill your boots.

You said in a earlier post " do i expect carp to jump on my mat" I've been carp fishing for 30 years. I have no interest in fishing lakes like willesley when the rewards simply aren't in there.

And as for assuming he wanted to catch 30's..... How many carp anglers do you know that get a screamer and think "bloody hell, i hope this ent a big fish"

Edited by dave_3

• 2 weeks later...

I would consider a " lower" 20lb+ fish ample reward .

Especially if the lake was considered to be tough going or difficult .

Sounds to me as if catching a 20 from Willesley would be a challenge worth taking on .

Where is it again ? :)

I would consider a " lower" 20lb+ fish ample reward .

Especially if the lake was considered to be tough going or difficult .

Sounds to me as if catching a 20 from Willesley would be a challenge worth taking on .

Where is it again ? :)

It's on the outskirts of Ashby de la Zouche, Tim.

The lake is almost entirely surrounded by trees and was originally dug as the estate lake for Ashby Hall.

I haven't fished there for a good while, purely down to circumstances, trust me.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

By "ent" do you mean "isn't"? It's now obvious that you're obsessed by attempting to catch fish over 30lbs.

Why? Isn't just being in beautiful surroundings with outstanding facilities and the potential to catch gorgeous fish enough for you?

Ian

I

And it's quite clear from your post's that your only believe your opinion is the correct one. Fancy correcting my spelling when i was clearly making a quote! What an idiot.

The op asked for people's thoughts and whether you agree with it or not i gave it to him! What you may think of my comments doesn't interest me.

For the record when i choose a venue i like the chance of beating my pb. So you can stick to you pretty lakes with great facilties and small fish and i'll stick to my pretty lakes with great facilities and big fish.

Edited by welder

And it's quite clear from your post's that your only believe your opinion is the correct one. Fancy correcting my spelling when i was clearly making a quote! What an idiot.

The op asked for people's thoughts and whether you agree with it or not i gave it to him! What you may think of my comments doesn't interest me.

For the record when i choose a venue i like the chance of beating my pb. So you can stick to you pretty lakes with great facilties and small fish and i'll stick to my pretty lakes with great facilities and big fish.

For the record, I find the word 'ent' bad grammar, and I would reckon, ' isn't' or 'is not' better, your wording is not a quote from anyone else, it is your words.

The question asked was on a particular lake, which you gave your reply, but it also implied you expect to catch fish every time. I like fishing hard waters, I like fishing waters which give me a chance of a pb, but no way do I think I will catch every trip. You said the outside chance of a thirty, nice, you mentioned numbers of 20's, a challenge. That is what some want.

Nick, I too like fishing hard waters such as Willesley and Horseshoe and I enjoy the surroundings regardless of my catch rate.

I have never subscribed to the "catch at all costs" mantra and I'm happy to take a nice 20 from a water which lacks larger fish.

I haven't been called an idiot for some time. It's good to know that I can still provoke some level of debate. Thank you, dave_3.

Ian