Rig for fishing in broken up reeds

Brookesy

Hi all

I fished a new lake the other week that had reed beds along the margins of the lake and island. I wanted to fish tight to the reeds as this is where I saw fish moving, but I was noticing I was pulling in stems of dead reeds from where the reed beds had been cut back (about 8 inches long). I wasn't getting any takes, presumably due to the rig not presenting well in the dying reeds (fishing bottom baits on a combi rig on one rod and a fluro hooklink on another). The fish are only taking drilled halibut pellet during the day (it's what the lake owner feeds them) so they wouldn't go for pop-ups either.
Given that the bait was good and I was placing the bait in a known good area, I am looking for a rig that optimises presentation of a bottom bait in the "mush" at the reed bed line. My current thinking is:

Helecopter rig so the lead doesn't pull the rig deep into the reeds
Very soft, sinking braid hooklink

PVA bag/foam on the hook to slow down and straighten the hooklink on the cast

Does this look about right to you?

Any suggestions on what braid to go with, as I normally fish over gravel or clay with a fairly stiff combi rig?

Any other suggestions on how to present a rig in this sort of bottom?

Thanks, Paul

Helecopter rig so the lead doesn't pull the rig deep into the reeds

Very soft, sinking braid hooklink

This combination may work for me a decent length of braid say 9-10", altough soft braid and heli rigs don't work well for me regarding tangles etc..

PVA bag/foam on the hook to slow down and straighten the hooklink on the cast

PVA Bag is a no for me would just plunge into the chod, Foam may help but your relying on the bait not settling in the reed stems your dragging back.

Other possibles you need to lighten the hookbait I noticed dynamite do halibut pellet pop ups this combined with a stiff hinge rig with a supple braid boom may score you extra points, or dare I say it a naked chod, Im not the best person to comment on naked chod use as I dont use them but someone will be along shortly

Hopefully this is helpful for you and kick start the thread to get you somethings to try.

My supple braid of choice has for years been Kryston Supernova 

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately, raking isn't an option and particles are banned, but I will try putting out loads of small pellet to see if that encourages the fish to clear some space.

Halibut pop-ups sound like they are worth a try too.

I expect the fish will root around and find a bait buried in the reed stems, but fishing fairly stiff rigs, I doubt they are presenting well. I'm going to experiment with various lengths of supple braid and see how that works. I hear what you say about soft braid and helecopter rigs, but I'll try it out before switching to a more traditional rig.

Would a PVA mesh bag on the hook sink into the debris (I'm resisting the C word)? I always thought they helped slow down the hook after the lead hits.

Thanks, Paul

I would buy a lot of maze prepare it then poor it into 3 or 4 swims where I wanted to fish and let the fish clear patches for me plus getting them used to feeding from the same spots.

CM is that you in a new maize filled life  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  (please run sense of humour check before reading this line)

Same could be said by getting a bus load of halibut pellets which is what they are feed on, hemp is a better option IMO for preoccupying fish.

Its most likely I'm imaging your all situation all wrong, but I'm thinking the bottom isn't likely to be deep silt or chod and a few more casts with any old rig would have cleared the dead stems enough to present a rig.

But im with Chill, a solid bag or stick is what I'd do. I cant see one of them not doing the trick , even if you didn't 'rig' your spot clear.

Am i the only one concerned by the fact that the owner of this lake FEEDS Halibut pellets to his Carp ?

I see your point NM, feeding fish on a diet of high oil pellets can't be a good thing, it would like the early fishmeal days when everything was dripping in some form of fish oil

Ok so question for the poster how accessible are these spots, example could you view the spot if you covered it with particles. how clear is the water etc....., can you bait those spots regular

If you get to ticks to the above question, find a couple of points in line with markers from where you can cast from, apply a couple of kilo's of hemp with a mix of small halibut pellets every day for about 2-3 days before you are due to fish, if the fish are visiting and munch those spots will start to be become very clean, when fishing apply same loose feed and pop a bait in.   

Ok so question for the poster how accessible are these spots, example could you view the spot if you covered it with particles. how clear is the water etc....., can you bait those spots regular

If you get to ticks to the above question, find a couple of points in line with markers from where you can cast from, apply a couple of kilo's of hemp with a mix of small halibut pellets every day for about 2-3 days before you are due to fish, if the fish are visiting and munch those spots will start to be become very clean, when fishing apply same loose feed and pop a bait in.   

only problem with this scenario is the whole thing, didnt the OP say particles are banned?

i would find out what the smallest acceptable pellets the owner allows then bomb about 3 or 4 kilo in a couple of days before my intended session.