Birthday 72-hour Venue Recommendations

Heard not good things about Furnace .

Just saying .

Fished Furnace once as a bit of a social with a mate as it is kind off half way between the two of us.

All I will say is never again, booked on for 3 nights and both of us couldn't wait to get away. The place is a total circus.

Hi Dan

The friendly people at SWP said I could have a wander around Traditional Lake last week .

I don't know if it was because no one was on the lake , but there were some Canadian Geese with their young ; it may well be that soon the young geese are independent enough to wander off and the geese are only on the lake while it is quiet , or do the geese stay on the lake permanently ? .

I saw a Youtube ( I think ) video on Heartsmere and the water birds were causing problems , but again they may well move off the lake in the next month or so when the angling pressure builds .

Did you ever get to fish Danbury Lakes , Bottom Lake ? .

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again all. Well, this evening I've finally had some time to think about the trip. The Mrs wanted to take me away for a short break somewhere (separate to the fishing trip) but actually now having had a look at pretty much everywhere and seeing how dam expensive hotels or trips on the Norfolk Broads are during July - Taverham Mills is starting to look appealing.

1. Because there is some hint that they have cheap, basic accommodation for £90 for 2 nights for 2 people (I think I've got that right?) So I could actually take her along for the fishing.

2. It looks a really nice place to fish.

Does anyone have a bit more info on Taverham? Anyone fished it?

What's the accommodation like? What's the fishing like, I understand the stock is a mix of 'stockies' but also some old Redmire strains lurking? (hints and tips for the lake hugely welcome!) Does it get mega-busy (we would be going during the week not weekend)?

Wow that is a superb write-up! Thanks for pointing it out. I found a lake map on-line too with numbered pegs so I was able to follow the descriptions round and understand where they were. I've never fished a lake that big so it will be quite a learning curve I imagine, if it's as pretty as it looks I'll be perfectly happy with just being there though. Right now i'm thinking book 3 nights, arrive mid afternoon day 1 - do a good amount of walking (resist the urge to fish) maybe splish a bit of bait in a few likely looking spots and return the next morning to reap the rewards...it sounded good in my head anyway.

I had a look on bing maps earlier for an aerial view. I can make out the board walk they have installed across the fields, and from someone else's blog I understand the accomodation is in a couple of what the guy described as 'nissen' huts - which I think I can also see. I will try to travel light I think and make sure I've bagged a 2nd hand tri-porter or 3 wheel barrow on ebay before i go! Been on the look out for one for a while. Actually a mark 1 carp porter came up earlier tonight on £35 buy it now - but it'll cost me about £20 to drive and collect. So I'm hoping to hold out for something more local...anyway I digress.

Edited by Ddgx

It is a fair walk from the wooden lodges to the lake. The wooden lodge is fully functional, separate shower room from your room. Yes, if you stay in the lodges last time I checked, you could fish the river, which held big barbel, chub and occasional carp.

The bridge across the mill is quite narrow, and the one across the meadow tributary last time I was there was quite steeply humpbacked. The barrow to getting gear to your swim is a must.

Prebaiting can be a yes and a no. I would prebait, but don't forget other people may like to take advantage of your work. The swims are all available, so someone could be in the one you prebaited, albeit unintentionally.

Walk, look, walk and look, always worked for me on there, nearly always with a stalking rod! I would take a bag of floating biscuits and bottom baits every walk, and depending on what they were taking...

I did that write up a few years ago, it is a long time since I fished there!

It is a fair walk from the wooden lodges to the lake. The wooden lodge is fully functional, separate shower room from your room. Yes, if you stay in the lodges last time I checked, you could fish the river, which held big barbel, chub and occasional carp.

The bridge across the mill is quite narrow, and the one across the meadow tributary last time I was there was quite steeply humpbacked. The barrow to getting gear to your swim is a must.

Prebaiting can be a yes and a no. I would prebait, but don't forget other people may like to take advantage of your work. The swims are all available, so someone could be in the one you prebaited, albeit unintentionally.

Walk, look, walk and look, always worked for me on there, nearly always with a stalking rod! I would take a bag of floating biscuits and bottom baits every walk, and depending on what they were taking...

I did that write up a few years ago, it is a long time since I fished there!

Thanks for the advice. The issues you're describing with prebaiting are the same on any lake that you can't book, so always a gamble. This time of year I always have surface fishing baits with me! Does it tend to be very busy even during the week? It's quite a big lake so I'd hope to be able to get in somewhere! :) All I need to do now is convince the Mrs this is how she wants to spend 3 days :) are the facilities clean? That'll be her only concern. Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice. The issues you're describing with prebaiting are the same on any lake that you can't book, so always a gamble. This time of year I always have surface fishing baits with me! Does it tend to be very busy even during the week? It's quite a big lake so I'd hope to be able to get in somewhere! :) All I need to do now is convince the Mrs this is how she wants to spend 3 days :) are the facilities clean? That'll be her only concern. Thanks again!

There are I think 70 swims on the lake, over 20 acres, weekdays are usually fairly quiet, although bank holiday weeks tend to be a bit busier, but you should be able to fit in somewhere.

The facilities were kept clean, but if anyone has more up to date info...