Only my opinion

Guest Swamptrout

Guest Swamptrout

I have only been a member of this forum for a very short period and don't want to cause any ill feelings. I have watched a couple of video blogs and read a few posts very enjoyable. Something that disappointed me on one of these videos was  a reference made about Aussie anglers leaving rubbish on the bank of a waterway the gent was fishing. I definitely agree rubbish gets left as I have picked it up and put it into a bin only 30 meters away. To me the rubbish referred to in the video looked as though it had been washed down maybe from a creek or such, the stick referred to as an Aussie rod rest looked as though it had been in the water for a while, As for the tennis ball I have been fishing for many years and have never used one as bait or a float. There are other nationalities that fish not just AUSSIES, unless you witness the person leaving the rubbish you should not make these type of remarks. When I read the forum rules before I became a member I was under the impression these type of remarks would not be tolerated.

Guest Swamptrout

The point I was making was I believe that rubbish was washed ashore after a heavy rain not dumped as stated, and the remarks made about it being left by Aussie fisherman. I agree 100% about morons (I wouldn't refer to them as fisherman) leaving there rubbish, line and hooks lying around, and so do all the anglers I know.  

I'm familiar with the water Luke fishes and I know Luke well enough to know that he would not make those remarks without knowing for certain of the culprits. Having fished in Australia now for 13 years I'd say the worst issue is having to deal with other peoples litter, that and ignorance, there seems to be zero education about not littering, indeed some people seem to revel in it, at my local water when the locals pack up for the day at dusk its not uncommon to see them chuck all their rubbish in the lake! 

Its no wonder that so many waters where I live are being locked up and no fishing signs put up, I really do wonder if its a good idea to have any waters open to all as we do here in Australia.

Chris

Guest Swamptrout

Hi Chris

I'm a born and bred Aussie and I agree with what you are saying, recently they fenced off an area where I had fished on a regular basis due to idiots leaving rubbish all over the place.

Fortunately there are more Fisherman that care about the environment than the idiots (I don't call them fishermen) that don't

I'm a bit restricted in where I can go fishing these days, my wife and I are lucky the places we go to are pretty good, occasional there is a bit of rubbish which I pick up and put into a bin on the way home

Litter being left on river bank, around lakes and on piers etc. is a GLOBAL problem. It have has been shown on a few fishing DVD's I have watched.

My late father was an old bushy, his motto was the only thing you leave behind should be your footprints.

Its the same at the local beaches, bins every few metres but a lot of people just leave it all where they have been sat, in the last couple of places I've lived I've been near schools and the litter around both of them was horrendous, so it makes you wonder if even the basics of being a responsible citizen are being taught.

A friend of mine recounted an experience he had on his local river, sat there fishing and a middle aged couple walked past, the lady casually dropped her coke bottle so Steve shot her a dirty look, that made her pick it up, then unbelievably chuck it straight in the river! :(

Chris

You can always tell where Aussie bogans fish as it's usually full of trash, empty cans of corn, discarded beer bottles, empty tackle packets etc..   Sometimes if you're lucky, you come across the remains of a fire, where the idiots believed cans and bottles would magically burn away.    I once had a huge family turn up next to me, open up packets for rods and reels they'd just bought from K Mart, open up their cans of corn....fish for a couple of hours and walk off leaving all their rubbish laying around....there was a bin only 40ft away.