Critically balanced rig

carpmandan

Was wondering if anyone could explain how you critically balance baits and wot sort of rig to use with such a balanced hook bait.

You see i have only ever used botom baits and would like to use pop ups a bit more. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

May thanks Dan

i do this to nearly every bait/rig.

if using a boilie il cut it in half and use a trimmed pop up on top,or if using particals il add a trimed fake on,

as so the weight of the hook/rig isnt reconised ,and should seem the same as freebies.and if im not using a small pva (which is rare) is slows the fall and settles better .

this all works better on supple hook lenghts

Looped, Mantis version of a pop-up Rig that Ken Townley advocated in Big Carp.

I use it for single critically balanced Pop-ups on slightly fluffy bottom, where I want the Pop-up to be just above the Bottom Layer.

As can be seen from the Nylon attached to the Ring I TIE the Pop-up onto the ring, and use the small Tag under the Eye for the Counterbalance weight.

The hook I have used is a Carp-R-Us Centurion in a size 6

loopedmantisPop-upRig.jpg

Add a shot that won't quite sink the Bait and hook and then gradually enough putty so that it only just sinks.

Or as has been pointed out, Snowman Baits, trimming either until you get it right

A pop-up is a bait that is fished off the bottom and weighted down so that it is at a fixed Distance above the bottom of your choice. Normally overweighted in most cases.

Yet to critically balance a bait is so that the hook and Hookbait only just sinks, almost neutral buoyancy,behaving like a free bait. It can be a single bait or a multiple presentation.

Best way to do that is to decide if it is:

a) too buoyant, then add tiny pieces of putty to the rig or trim the pop-up, until it only just sinks.

b) too heavy, then trim the bottom bait(s) so that the pop-up (foam, plastic corn etc) does the same effect of the almost neutral buoyancy.

Does that help, or is anyone able to explain it better than that?

• 2 months later...

Havin trouble here with trying to balance the baits, does it have to be bottom bait nearest the hook and pop up on the other end? Also when triming down my doesnt look like a snowman as the bottom bait is smaller. Should the baits be laid side by side on the bottom or slightly poped up? Any help would be greatly appreciated

No it should sit like a snowman bottom bait resting on the bottom or slightly off it if thats what you want. The pop-up sits on top of the bottom bait.

The idea is that it goes to the bottom very slowly resting on any weed or debris, it also flies into the carps mouth if it suck anywhere near it as you have kind of made it weightless.

Often your bottom bait will be smaller coz pop-ups are not as bouyant as we would like so you could try a cork ball instead.

Havin trouble here with trying to balance the baits, does it have to be bottom bait nearest the hook and pop up on the other end? Also when triming down my doesnt look like a snowman as the bottom bait is smaller. Should the baits be laid side by side on the bottom or slightly poped up? Any help would be greatly appreciated

It can be either way around! The Pop-up nearest the hook is a totally different presentation, that for some reason fools some, normally, Larger Carp :? that have been regularly caught on standard snowman presentation