Beet root

Has anyone tried beet root for a glug or dip, I'm off out for a 48hr on Friday so since mid week I used my beet root up and left the juice in the jar. I've been freezing and thawing the juice with about 5 or so boilies in. They have taken on the colour superb! Going have a an experiment on my session.

I have used diced carrot for the last three or four years and recently i have been snaffling the diced beetroot from the harvester salad bar, it makes a pleasant change from corn and it blends in a bit better with the deck so the swans dont get it either.

Add the beetroot juice to your spod mix im sure it will make a great cloud.

Vinegar may make a very good attractant.

It is the solvent base in a few liquid food dyes, and I have used them in a (food) bait myself.

As for beetroot, I can't see it being a total failure, as I'm sure it is exactly the same as any other bait, put it in the right place, and it should catch. It is just whether it is an attractant or repellant with the vinegar.

As for beetroot on its own, it bleeds and will stain anything with its natural red dye, lemon juice will remove it.

I thought I read somewhere that carp were attracted to acetic acid which is found in vinegar. If I recall correctly it is in the same family as N-butyric acid. US Southern Paylakers have used ketchup in their rice pack baits for years. Ketchup has a good amount of vinegar. Some food for thought pardon the pun.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Looking at the replies on here, you need to know the difference between beetroot and pickled beets.  Beetroot can used in the same way as sugar beet, if it is dried and ground into a flour. It makes fantastic pellets and boilies. 

If you buy fresh beetroot, put it through a juicer, keep the juice for later. place the pulp in the oven at 180c for 15-18 minutes. switch of the oven and leave the pulp for a further hour. Place it in a coffee mill and grind it into flour. Use the beetroot flour along with corn flour, icing sugar and the beetroot juice to make pellets. Just as good as betaine pellets at a fraction of the price. ( don't use pickled beetroot, you will need fresh with the skins ) You can also use the beetroot flour in making boilies.

Chopped squares of beetroot left in icing sugar over night, are a super hair rig bait.

Also try strawberries, raspberries and cherry tomatoes. All exceptional when hair rigged on venues that don't allow boilies.

On 16/03/2013 at 19:44, jamieh90 said:

Has anyone tried beet root for a glug or dip, I'm off out for a 48hr on Friday so since mid week I used my beet root up and left the juice in the jar. I've been freezing and thawing the juice with about 5 or so boilies in. They have taken on the colour superb! Going have a an experiment on my session.

I’ve tried it good as a temporary dye didn’t catch on it tho

PVA bags used to be made from Poly Vinyl Acetate (hence the acronym) but as the smell was believed to deter fish, they are now more commonly made from Poly Vinyl Alcohol (technically known as PVOH) but the old PVA name has stuck. I used to fish the Somerset Drains around Bridgwater for pike and there used to be a British Cellophane plant that used an acetate and it was more commonly known as British Smellophane!

There are so many good proven flavours out there that I wouldn't waste my time on something that could repel the carp, it certainly makes me want to puke up!

I think fresh cooked beetroot might work as a ingredient to add colour and texture then you would have what i call Sunday dinner appeal you know when you are real hungry and that big plate of roast veg really is standing out due to all the vitamins and nutrients it is kicking out. I think spirulina does the same in a bait so already covered with a proven ingredient.