my wonder rig, is it any good?

nealjt

Hello everyone

I have read the picture uploading info where it says many members don't like lots of pictures so be warned there are 4 on here....

These are pictures of an idea for a rig set up, i'm hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge on this forum,so please let me know what you think, good bad whatever....

Do you think this would be effective ? Is it overkill? Are there any potential dangers? 

Thanks

Hookbait is a snowman type arrangement, bottom bait is microwaved and dipped paste, aka deadly baiting sticky by Keenook, popup is half a dumbbell readymade, this is then wrapped in paste and threaded onto floss then frozen ready for use.

The hooklength has two halves, stiff loop to swivel, soft loop to hook made with multi-strand (will loose the boom as think it has no use) 

The 2 parts will be connected loop to loop but not pulled tight and put in pva mesh, so that I can have a hooklength that is about 3 inches, nice and compact in the bag but will extend to 6 inches with the idea that the hookbait will behave reasonably naturally in the water and give Mr carp the opportunity to move off/turn with minimal resistance at first and then get hooked.

Where I really go for it bells and whistles is that the hooklength and bag are attached to a banjo feeder as too me any lead seems to stand out a mile amongst the pile of feed from the bag, my thinking is that the feeder will blend in better and not cause as much suspicion. Also I don't like casting a bag and heavy lead as I'm concerned I'll overload my rod or crack off. So the combination in my mind will give me an area that will be leaking off attractants at different times over a prolonged period via the dipped bait, paste, pva bag mix and stiff groundbait in the feeder. The feeder will give me the casting weight and bolt effect I want without the standard look of a lead and hooklength...... This is all in theory and so I've no idea what will happen when I'm at the lake....

IMAG1648_zps9f81fc39.jpg.html?o=5

IMAG1653_zpsa058a029.jpg.html?o=4

IMAG1654_zps0664a377.jpg.html?o=3

IMAG1656_zps4e6ed9fe.jpg.html?o=2

What do you think?

Just reading that fried my head. :? Why make something so complicated just for sake of it? ill explain one of my favourite set ups. Step 1 tie hook to mainline. Step 2 put bread on hook Step 3 cast out. so simple but so deadly. That set up has caught me a lot of rarely caught fish. The simpler the better. i no it carnt be used all the time the point is just because its simple doesnt mean its not effective. just simplify everything and put your energy in to locating fish.

Ha Ha, you should try writing it.... :D

I do agree with you, my two best carp were caught on free lined luncheon meat and the other with a float and worm in the margins!

I am out this Sunday on an easy water so I think I'll go simple on one rod and crazy complicated on the other and see what happens....

:shock::shock::?:?:? . that fried my head too. just find the fish and chuck a simple knotless knot rig at them. simples :wink: and as for you not wanting to overload your rods with a pva bag and lead your going to have a loaded method feeder, pva mesh bag, bait wrapped in paste. the second part sounds like it would be heavier than a pva bag and lead :wink:

I did try to edit the original post so that your pics show up on post, but for some reason couldn't manage it.

The best way I have foun d to put pictures on the site is to have 2 pages open, one set up on Photobucket or your photo host page, and Carp.com post page.

Upload your pictures to photobucket, and then go to save and view album.

Position your cursor over the picture you want to use, and underneath it will bring up a list of tags, click and copy the tag which starts and ends with the {IMG} code, and then paste it into the carp.com post.

:shock::shock::?:?:? . that fried my head too. just find the fish and chuck a simple knotless knot rig at them. simples :wink: and as for you not wanting to overload your rods with a pva bag and lead your going to have a loaded method feeder, pva mesh bag, bait wrapped in paste. the second part sounds like it would be heavier than a pva bag and lead :wink:

That simple knotless knot rig will work and probably catches 95% of the carp caught in the country :!:

Also because it is so simple, it is also easy to change, and make different by whatever hooklink material you use; Mono, fluorocarbon, braid, coated braid, all will give different actions and behaviour, and mono and fluoro can be split even further into stiff or lighter breaking strain.

I don't know how many times I have written it, but keep things as simple as you can. Location is the important part, then putting the rig in the right place. Complicated is not always best, as I keep proving to myself. :shock::wink:

thank you all for your replies... i did post back earlier but probably didn't hit the submit button.

so i went fishing this Sunday and caught.......... nothing, wonder rig no good, simple rig no good, nothing, not a bleep.... was pretty cold and i only had the day, saw no signs of any fish not even tiddlers!

i do agree with what you all say about keeping it simple, i suppose i want to remove the doubt of "is my rig OK" or "is my bait any good" I've been in a rut carp wise this year and not had much success... I definitely don't claim to be an expert but have usually done OK by my standards

i think i am going to stick with what i know and as you say find the fish and go from there. my main problem is i live in Suffolk and there isn't that many places to choose from!

thanks again for the replies,

oh yes Nick i think the problem with the photos may have been as I was using my mobile

Mobile pics with Carp.com can be a pain in the butt, but there is a way.

Go to photobucket and upload the pics, then when you have done that see if you can copy the image tags and paste each one into a message.

Log into Carp.com after copying all the tags, and then as you make the post, you should be able to paste in the tags, although each phone is different, that is how I do it on my old Nokia.

As for blanking this week, don't fret about it, the weather has gone cold again, probably put the fish down, and made them difficult to find if they have gone back into their winter hideouts.

That is my excuse anyway, as i blanked this week as well :wink::shock: