A revolutionary new rig

carpepecheur

OK the title is just a pun on my latest rig called The Spinner.

I recently bought a fish tank from Cash Converters to try and understand how well my rigs were working.

To try and emulate the sucking and blowing of a carp I fitted a transparent tube with a piston to generate a suck and blow.

I have been doing some tests with the tube and have learned a lot. Most set ups suck the boilie in with the hook underneath and then, when it blows out, the boilie can push against the hook taking it out the mouth of the carp. Most rigs try and find a way to increase the chances of a hold but suffer by various degrees from this problem.

I have come up with a solution called “The Spinner”.

spinnerlowres.jpg

The small shot is not quite heavy enough to sink the pop up boilie.

The larger shot is just heavy enough to hold the pop up on the bottom.

It hangs in the water as shown.

When the carp sucks in, the drag from the larger shot causes the boilie to spin so that the hook turns upwards in the carps mouth. The carp starts to blow out but the hook is now clear of the boilie looking for a hook hold. In fact the spinning action generated could actually set the hook but that is only conjecture on my part.

I have made a crude video which shows the rig in position, then being sucked and blown in real time, then in slow motion, then some step by step frame shots. The quality is poor because I do not have a proper video camera but it is easy to see the hook spinning to find its hold.

Watch it here:-

I tie my rigs from scratch every time. I rarely reuse them. The boilie goes on first before tying the hook.

I do put a small rubber float stop above the boilie to stop the hook slipping down.

No I have not fished it yet because I only dreamed it up today. Tomorrow will be the first test.

I do not keep schtum about any of my ideas. My local lake is so rarely fished the chances of anyone competing with the same rig is about a million to one. I prefer to share ideas so that I can get feedback from more experienced anglers and hopefully make improvements.

So all feedback is gratefully accepted.

I tie my rigs from scratch every time. I rarely reuse them. The boilie goes on first before tying the hook.

I do put a small rubber float stop above the boilie to stop the hook slipping down.

No I have not fished it yet because I only dreamed it up today. Tomorrow will be the first test.

I do not keep schtum about any of my ideas. My local lake is so rarely fished the chances of anyone competing with the same rig is about a million to one. I prefer to share ideas so that I can get feedback from more experienced anglers and hopefully make improvements.

Ah fair enough.

Goodluck with you testing tommorow, will have to let us know how you get on.

All the best. Ross.

I was joking :roll:

Hi Guys

I saw this and had to comment, There appears to be little new under the sun as I believe this has been tried before.

If someone can check out an old Rob Maylin video called Harefield Haulin (I think) from approx 1989 I seem to remember he was trapping the hair with silicone and allowing it to exit backwards from the eye of the hook which was then weighted to achieve the same effect Cobelyn has shown.

I seem to remember it didnt catch on partly due to hookholds outside the mouth caused by the hook snagging on the way in.

Good luck with it I will be fascinated by your results. :)

I must put my hand up for re-inventing the wheel it was not Cobelyn's fault. I am often accused of re-inventing the wheel but who knows, I may find a better shape one day.

I think you are referring to something called The Weighted Drop Rig. I have been unable to find it on the net (and am too tight to buy his videos!). Could you manage a sketch of how it works?

I used to be a fan of putting a shot on the bend of the hook until I started testing them in my "think tank". I believe the idea started with Frank Warwick. The weight seems to help the hook drop out of the mouth rather than into it. It depends how vertical the carp is when he blows out.

Anyway the point you make about outside hook holds is a good one and I have been thinking about it. If the weight between the hook and boilie is increased so that it just sinks the boilie, the length of line between the bolie and the second weight can be adjusted. The longer that distance is, the further the boilie goes into the mouth before it starts to spin. The important thing is that on sucking in, the hook is shielded by the boilie and outside hook holds should be avoided.

I am planning to give it its first test this evening. Now if only the carp will co-operate!

Sorry dont appear to have the technical nouse to attach sketch.

but in tieing it went something like.

Knotless knot hooklink to hook lay hair along shank and past eye in the direction of swivell and trap in place with shrink/silicone tube.

Attach pop up to hair and then wind lead wire to bend of hook to anchor to bottom.

I believe the percievedadvantage at the time was that viewed from above the hook was unseen.

Hope that helps.

Anyway must go now and load car with bait etc, Back Thurs :D [/img]

[/url]