No Braid!

fifec123

One of my local clubs has banned the use of braid so just wondering what other people would use as hooklink material!

I saw the notice when i turned up at the lake so I had to make rigs out of my mainline which is 12lb esp crystal. I didnt like the rigs at all they felt too stiff and I like using balanced baits but cannot get a good presentation using mono!

I would be greatfull for any hints or advise on what too use, thanks!

it seems unlikely that they would ban all braid, it would probably just be using braid as a mainline.

But Flurocarbon is a great hooklink material, i use braid and flurocarbon and i find both work :)

whilst i agree with this there is a lake that has banned all braid including hooklinks AND marker rods :? see it the other day on a forum i sometimes go on lol

it seems unlikely that they would ban all braid, it would probably just be using braid as a mainline.

But Flurocarbon is a great hooklink material, i use braid and flurocarbon and i find both work :)

whilst i agree with this there is a lake that has banned all braid including hooklinks AND marker rods :? see it the other day on a forum i sometimes go on lol

How come they had ban braided hooklinks/marker set ups? the place i fish has a rule about no braid as mainline or on a spod set up but can be used as a hooklink or marker set up. weird rule i know

It may be a total blanket ban as (mainline) braids are very thin and can cut fish if used straight through or as a hooklink, in fact a few hooklink braids fall into that category if they are so fine; Which is actually the reason why in many cases we fish with a higher breaking strain hooklink than the mainline I.E, 12lb Mainline and 25lb Hooklink :wink:

If a water has a braided (mainline and hooklink) line ban I am quite happy using mono or fluoro.

We all worry about how a hooklink behaves in water. Most rigs work anyway, whether they fall into thumb or palm test as failures.

I know a number of big name anglers who use mainline and mono as their hooklinks, Paddy Webb and Lee Jackson fell into this category for a long time.

Either use a finer mono for your hair, or continue the hooklink through with the knotless knot. You could simply tie your hook on as opposed to knotless knot, and then use silicon or shrink tubing over the knot. It worked before we had these finer braided hooklinks (Dacron being the first), and will still work today.