hair rig

1carpkid

Hi guys,How can i tie a hair rig without using a knotless knot?my point being,i have just bought some mugga hooks and as i tied my knotless knot and put a bit of shrink tube on,i thought it was to much of a curve and might miss the lip entirely.Iwas thinking of using a grinner knot.thanx guys. :D

Hi guys,How can i tie a hair rig without using a knotless knot?my point being,i have just bought some mugga hooks and as i tied my knotless knot and put a bit of shrink tube on,i thought it was to much of a curve and might miss the lip entirely.Iwas thinking of using a grinner knot.thanx guys. :D

maybe you dont need the shink tube :wink:

doug

Thank you doug,i have tied it to some 12lb adrenaline,and it looked worse thats why i put shrink tube on, to try and straighten it out a bit as i am going to use it as a pop up rig.Do you think i should still tie it mate without the shrink tube?really appreciate your information mate. :D

I don't like mono as a hooklink with pop-up rigs, I feel that they lack finesse, the curve of the mono is not allowing the hooklink to lay flat and then vertical if that makes sense.

I much prefer the method I put in one of your other rig threads, to tie a Uni knot loop at the end of a coated (and partially stripped) or uncoated braid and then attach the hook with a KK. Also the pattern of the hook I prefer is a Kamasan B175, I don't feel a curve shank hook is right for pop-ups.

No need for shrink tube

For Gardner Muggas, I still prefer my braided (coated and a stripped section or uncoated hooklinks), but use them only for bottom or snowman set-ups, where the snowman is an 18mm bottom bait with a 15mm pop-up above it, or the winter alternative a 15mm bottom bait, with a trimmed down pop-up to only just sink the bait and hook.

The hook is attached with a Uni knot and line aligner.

...and adrenaline floats...making it the worst stuff ever for hook lengths. :wink:

Not just Adrenaline, the majority of monos take a lot of time to rest on the lakebed, even if they are described as sinking. It is not until they have taken on water that they eventually settle; part of the reason that it can take so long to get a mono line to sink to the lakebed when fishing running leads and slack line. :wink:

Sure we may want to have a looped up hooklink, weighted at the lead/mainline end and with the weight of the hook and bait at t'other, but I would much rather have a hooklink that was flat out laying on the lakebed, which even then will take some attention to achieve as most hooklinks do loop up to some extent

you can use a whipping knot to tie hair rigs - the same knot you would use to tie a spade end hook on, just adding a loop to the tag end.

i wouldnt be happy using washing up liquid as its smell and chemical make up may be off putting, there are better flouros to use as they are designed especially for hooklinks, using tiny amounts of rig putty can also help.

:roll: