360 rig

froguk

I always use the rig with either Gardner Muggas or Carp R Us Short Shank nailers with no real preference for either.A lot of people recommend curved longshanks such as Fox series 5s or Carp R Us Longshank nailers but having seen the damage caused by these hooks through double hooking in smaller carp then I would avoid them unless your lake only contains larger fish(20lb+).

this rig should be avoided mate.... this is a nasty rig and i for one will never be using it no matter what size carp i am fishing for the mouth damage this rig can cause is nasty ... if you have the fishes well being at the top of the important list then you will steer clear of this one!!!!

simpleton.

this rig should be avoided mate.... this is a nasty rig and i for one will never be using it no matter what size carp i am fishing for the mouth damage this rig can cause is nasty ... if you have the fishes well being at the top of the important list then you will steer clear of this one!!!!

simpleton.

Very true mate this rig causes a lot of damage to fish and is to be avoided..If you care about the welfare of the fish...

as others have said this is a bad rig. people say only use it if there's no small fish in the lake, as far as i am concerned how can anyone know 100% that no small carp are in the lake. there are many many good rigs out there without having to use one that can cause terrible mouth damage to our prized fish.

simpleton.

Have you ever used this rig? Obviously,not.The reason I ask is because in reality if you had used as it should be on larger fish then you'd realise that this rig doesn't pose any greater risk than any other.I'm in the fortunate position of fishing a lake with very,very few fish under 20lb in(you can count them on 1 hand).My findings and those of many other anglers is that the rig causes no more damage than any other hooking arrangement.I've never caught a fish on this rig that has any mouth damage and every hookhold has been in the bottom lip so it is as near to placing the hook in a guarenteed hooking position as you can get.A hook is bad for a fish's mouth,full stop and mouth damage can occur with a size 8 hook tied to Kryston Supernova knotless knot with braid cuts to the mouth.The damage occurs on the soft mouths of smaller fish when double hooking occurs or the hook catches the outside of the mouth and a lot of damage is done when people are unhooking the fish with no idea.Lee Jackson and Chilly have both used this rig in the past and caught 100+ fish on the rig and if it was detrimental to the fish in anyway,do you really thing that they have a "fish at all cost" attitude. :?:

I think mouth damage is very dependant on what type of bottom you're fishing over too as the fish in silty lakes will have softer mouths than those from a gravel pit.

Yes it is a good rig, but only in the right hands and on the right waters and it only provides a very small part of my armoury.I put the fish's welfare before anything else and having used the rig for well over 2 years with no issues,I'll continue to do so.I personally can't see how anyone can comment unless they have personally tried it over a period of time fishing in different situations.Gives the impression of armchair angling IMO but this is a forum and everybody's entitled to theirs.

Most of the time I agree with Neil but not on this one. I have seen the double hooking and damage that this rig can cause. Agreed it is usually on smaller fish that this occurs with the use of the longshank hooks and on big fish waters it is 99% of the time ok but why take the risk. I now dont use this rig and I dont get outfished by anglers on my waters who do.

everyone has there own opinion on different things and i have spoke mine!! even though you have written an essay on this "wonderfull" rig my opinion stays the same!!

That's fair enough but how can you make such a preconceived sweeping statement without having used ever used the rig seems crazy.It's like me saying Harrison rods are rubbish,I've never owned one so what so upon what am I making that presumption,hearsay?? What I've read in a mag??My "essay" as you call it was posted because it is impossible to make a claim without backing it up with some sort of understanding or reasoning.There are drawbacks with this rig yes with regards to both what size fish the lakes stock hold and as Jez says the part the longshank hook plays.I don't use curved longshanks at all,I can't abide them preferring either Muggas or Short Shank Nailers with this rig.The double hooking only occurs with the longshank hooks and with the above patterns this has been totally eleviated.I even know some anglers who use the longshanks but then again I know they're conscientious enough if any damage occured to bin the rig straight away.Like I said I personally would actively encourage any water which banned Fox Series 5 or Longshank nailers.

Jez,as I said I don't possess a curved lonshank hook so with the shorter shank patterns the "nasty" side that everybody seems to have jumped on the bandwagon to outlaw this rig doesn't exist.I don't use this rig a great deal,I have no need and for anyone to suggest that I'd use the rig if there was the slightest shred of evidence of any damage caused by the way I use it obviously is grossly misled.Like I said in my previous post my findings have come from a variety of waters/fishing situations bouncing off of others over a number of years.

The problem with a Lot of Rigs is that they get used on "wrong" fish.

The Bent hook rig was designed for Large Carp on a Particular water. When it got into General Use it was used on every Carp that swam, and the smaller Carp did get terrible mouth damage, not necessarily from being hooked, but the fact that the Hook went in deeply and became very difficult to remove, and in many cases the Hook should have been cut at the shank.

I'm not saying its the same, but maybe the 360 rig has the same effects?

The Problem with all rigs is that it is very difficult to choose what sized Carp picks up the Bait, even Donkey Chokers (large Boilies), unless you are fishing a water where the Carp are all above a Particular size.

360rig.jpg

......and that is deemed 'safe' for a carps mouth?

The 360 with a pop-up on, would cause more harm to a shoal of fish than a soddin machine gun. (IMO)

By using one, the 'downside' rules of probability would, in my opinion, far outweigh the 'good side' reason's for using it.

Taking onboard what Neil has said, then I'm not confident/good enough to use one, but I wouldn't use one even if they were 'free' with a box of Kelloggs. That is not to say in any shape or form that that is to be read as casting aspersions towards Neil.

Maybe I'll use this next weekend :wink:

beartrap.jpg

you are right neil i have never used this rig but have some mates that have used this rig and have seen what it can do(the good and the bad) and now no longer use it....

i just think that there are loads of good rigs out there that can do the job and do it well and that there is no need to take a chance "is this one gonna have mouth damaged???" every time a fish is hooked on the 360 i cant and wont fish like that..

if you have modded this rig for the better neil by using different hooks well done to you mate..

everyone has there own opinion on different things and i have spoke mine!! even though you have written an essay on this "wonderfull" rig my opinion stays the same!!

That's fair enough but how can you make such a preconceived sweeping statement without having used ever used the rig seems crazy.It's like me saying Harrison rods are rubbish,I've never owned one so what so upon what am I making that presumption,hearsay?? What I've read in a mag??My "essay" as you call it was posted because it is impossible to make a claim without backing it up with some sort of understanding or reasoning.There are drawbacks with this rig yes with regards to both what size fish the lakes stock hold and as Jez says the part the longshank hook plays.I don't use curved longshanks at all,I can't abide them preferring either Muggas or Short Shank Nailers with this rig.The double hooking only occurs with the longshank hooks and with the above patterns this has been totally eleviated.I even know some anglers who use the longshanks but then again I know they're conscientious enough if any damage occured to bin the rig straight away.Like I said I personally would actively encourage any water which banned Fox Series 5 or Longshank nailers.

Jez,as I said I don't possess a curved lonshank hook so with the shorter shank patterns the "nasty" side that everybody seems to have jumped on the bandwagon to outlaw this rig doesn't exist.I don't use this rig a great deal,I have no need and for anyone to suggest that I'd use the rig if there was the slightest shred of evidence of any damage caused by the way I use it obviously is grossly misled.Like I said in my previous post my findings have come from a variety of waters/fishing situations bouncing off of others over a number of years.

My mistake for not reading your reply properly Neil, as you say with a short shank hook it isnt as bad but to me there is still to much going on and to much steel with the rig.