figure of 8 knot and coated braids

davidrkirby

I would be thinking that you are connecting the loop up to a quick link...

There are two ways to look at this, I have used coated braids like Fox Coretex which does the same but use it to some advantage and have sometimes stripped back approx 1cm near the loop to add a extra hinge.

Or i sometimes use link loops and tie a standard blood knot or grinner knot. but test your hooklinks as some coated hooklinks slip with these knots, and use plenty of saliva to help the knot bed down.

Hope that helps...

I might try the n-trap as I do like the matt dull coating but it does look rather thick and obvious. Kryston Jackal looks a little subtler but for the glossy shiny coating. Im not sure how much difference this fact makes except to my confidence.

I find a correctly tied figure of 8 knot plenty strong enough but just struggle with the coating cracking at the loop and negating the boom effect

If the coating cracks you are adding an extra hinge point to the rig negating the stiffness of the coated braid at that point. Now on some rigs that might be an advantage but on others you want the hooklink to remain stiffish and not to have that hinge point.

Oh I see, cheers for clearing that up. :)

yes indeed I am using an gardner anti tangle boom but find at its full length its very tight and fiddly to pull over the loop knot. I prefer to trim it half its length, as it look less obvious. and as such prefer the loop to provide a 2" boom. I'll try the n trap and maybe the new solar coated braid.

Thanks for the replies and options gents

I was just wondering what forum users have found the best coated braid for use with a figure of 8 loop knot? With several I have tried the coating fractures just below the loop knot, even with very careful tightening.

Cheers

Dave

Don't know if it is any use to you, but I prefer the knot from the Kryston packing/leaflet.

Put the swivel or create the loop and then make an overhand knot (but don't pull tight), take the tag end back through the overhand knot, and wrap around 4 times, then back up through the overhand loop.

Now wet the knot and then gradually pull tight.

With this knot I find it is soft enough with Kryston coated braids for them to still have some movement without breaking the coating. I also use it for stiff rigs to swivel, where my boom section is Amnesia