Quiver tips and set-ups

fantasticmrfox

Hello all,

I have been searching on here for a few day's now for information on quiver tip set-up's, what to use where, how best to judge when a change in tactics is required and when to tell what tip to use.

so far on here I've found nothing, and all I have found on google is feeder set-ups.

I've only just ordered 2 quiver tip "feeder" rod's as they're called, as I broke my dad's old ones and wanted to replace them, but my experience with them is VERY limited to say the least!

can you use normal light ledger's with a quiver tip, as the only difference between that and a ledger rod is bite indication, isn't it?

how will I know if I'm using a too sensitive or too strong a tip, and when to change tactics from say a cage feeder to a ledger (assuming a ledger can be used)

what kind of set-up's do you more experienced "tip" angler's use, and in what situation (river, canal, lake etc)

once I have everything delivered and set-up I'll be doing a day session on Drayton to test the action of the rod's, the £10 reel's I have purchased to go with them for the time being and also to try new tactic's I've never put into play before, I'm going to Drayton to hopefully ensure I get one bite, to really test the action of the rod, and also to break my cherry as I've not landed a fish over 1lb in 10 year's, I really want a photo I can put as my avatar lol!

if you need the information, on one of my other thread's I have put a run down of the tackle I have ordered today, which is what I'll be using..

I'm hoping someone out there will have some information that will help me make my first quiver tip session a productive one :D

Thank's for taking the time to read this, and I'm sorry if I've asked too many questions over the last week or so, or if I'm asking for information that is all ready on here somewhere, or if this is in the wrong place!

I hope you aren't getting too frustrated with me, I'm sounding like a 7 year old kid asking "why?" every minute! :oops:

Ok....so use the lightest tip you can get away with to register bites more easily. When it s is windy, or when there is a flow(ie. A river) you'll need a stiffer tip to stop getting false indications or getting the tip pulled right around till it hits the blank.

Leads on there on own can be used to search around the swim till you get a bite and want to start introducing some bait...or in winter when you are just fishing for a bite or a fish.

Feeders are used to put a bed of bait down...again use the lightest you can get away with for the distance you want ot fish, or to hold it in position on a river....unless you are fishing the method, when you are using the weight of the feeder to help set the hook.

what ounce quiver tip is it mate ?

Im taking it that its a heavy feeder rod ???

when you talk about ounces on the quiver tip, that only relates to the tip it's self doesn't it? unlike the test curve on a ledger rod? or will the rod it's self have a set ounce test curve? like I said I'm new to quiver-tip's so don't have a clue!

If it only relates to the tip, then it come's with 3, from 2oz to 4oz.

I think it's medium to heavy as it states that it can be used for light feeder fishing, up to heavier method feeder's...

I think I read somewhere that the lb line goes some way to identifying how heavy the rod is, and this will handle up to 10lb line, so I guess it isn't extremely light!

Cobleyn, thank's for that information, will save me a lot of frustration :)

So I assume that the normal semi-fixed and running rig's I use on my ledger rod's will work if I scale it down and make everything lighter?

so how would you recommend starting off on my first session? start with a light ledger and search about, then once I have found a spot bait up using a feeder? or would you recommend putting a bed of bait down first, then changing to a light ledger once the fish are feeding? my first session with it will be on a fairly large reservoir, that's a run's water, and can be quite open to wind, so I guess I would be best off starting with the lightest tip, then going heavier if I need too, rather than starting too heavy and working down, yes?

Sorry I can't provide you with more information about the rod's at the moment, but until they arrive all the information I have is from the booklet and website :/

Thank's for the information you guy's have all ready given me, I really appreciate it :D

I take it from earlier post that your fishing drayton ??

Ive never fished it but from what ive read the average size fish is between 8-12lb

Forget your light tips and leads and get yourself some inline method feeders.I only ever use leads on the tip when its deepest winter and your fishing for 1 bite at a time

Use a 8lb mainline and at the least a 6lb hooklink with a strong 14,12 hook

Never use an elastic feeder(thats the 1 with pole elastic running through it) just thread your mainline through it attach to a swivel and then use a short (3" max) hooklength

If your a competant caster then then find a far bank marker like a tree or something that s easily visable and thats the line you want to be casting to all the time .I feather my cast every time so i can hit the same spot every time but when method fishing NEVER use your line clip.If you latch on to a lump that gets off at a rate of knots ue ll end up snapping once the line hits the clip.Use a stop knot with a size 4 pole elestic and leave a big tag end to put in your clip as its a lot easier 2 pull out and allow more line out

So youve got your line and length sorted the real secret to catching on the method is the casting..... If ive not had a bite after a minute or so re-cast

The fish home in on the sound of the splash or building up a regular bed of food will also bring them in.Its an active way of fishing and uve really gotta keep it goin in to get them goin

You can scald some 6 mill pellets and mold them round your feeder or use a groundbait option either mixed by yourself or if your not confident enought to knock a decent mix up you can buy ready mixed groundbait from most tackle shops

Never leave your rod unnatended coz you will have your rod dragged in if your not on it :wink:

Get your rod set at a 45 degree angle and after uve cast out tighten up till uve got a 2-3 inch bend in your quiver tip.Never strike on twitches ot little knocks ue ll know when youve got a bite coz your rod will bend round viciously :)

Its REALLY important that you cast to the same spot so the fish know where the bait is if you start casting all over the place ue ll wait longer for bites and u really want to get the fish compeating

You can tuck your hookbait inside your method feeder or leave it hanging loose its up to you.I always leave it out because your only using short hooklinks so your baits never far away :wink:

I use groundbait for 80% of my method fishing with 2 fake (plastic) maggots and its caught me fish over 15lb on this method

Get yourself comfy keep the bait goin in and be accurate and this method will catch you fish 8)

Just dont leave your rods even if your just nippin for a piddle coz when the bites come they WILL rip ya rod in

Hope this helps and im sure ue ll catch mate 8)

WOW Steve, (I'm guessing that's your name as your name on here is snowmanSTEVEo, please correct me if I'm wrong mate :) )

that's a lot of useful information, thanks! yes it'll be Drayton, I live in Daventry and it's the closest place to me that I'm 99% guaranteed a fish and it'll give me a chance to put my new rod through it's paces in one session, all though I did blank when I went for 2 nights on the last bank holiday weekend, far too many anglers on there, dire wind and the boat's didn't help, well at least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lol!

I'll be going mid week this time, only for a day session, hopefully it'll be a bit quieter...

I have some pellets, and some chocolate ground bait and white chocolate boilies, I also have some Scopex and crab boilies, but I don't think they'll mix well with the chocolate ground bait, or will they? I'll cut down the chocolate boilies to make them a little smaller (sent my mate who hasn't carp fished before and he picked the big ones, 22mm I think) and to also release some more scent into the water... I'm going to use them for 2 reason's, 1 after buying rods, reels, line and a few other bit's and bob's I'm tight for cash, and 2, I want rid of them before the winter so I can get something spicy instead of sweet, been told sweet in summer, spicy in winter is a general rule of thumb...

don't know how well that combination will work, but I'll take some corn, and maybe half a pint of maggots to allow me to change tactics if the boilies don't get me anywhere, that way I can always switch to a open ended feeder or cage feeder as well..

I wasn't going to clip up, as I've never used that method yet, and want to try with light gear first, so I don't risk snapping off etc, but I was going to use a marker float, then mark the line at the tip eye, or the bottom eye if the tip eye is too small for the knot to pass through, so I know I'm roughly at the right distance, and fish towards one of the buoys so I have a visible marker to aim at..

I've not done much fishing of late so my casting is a little rusty, still, I'll get a lot of practice in next session if I'm re-baiting every few minutes!

If I need a leak I'll go between cast's! seen a few rod's end up in there as a kid, not having that with my new rod lol!!

Thank's for your extremely helpful input mate! much appreciated! hopefully I'll have an avatar by some point next week, or the week after, depending on when all my gear get's delivered! :D

Whittle ya boilies down a bit and dont worry 2 much about if your groundbait(sweet) doesnt match ya hookbait(fishy)

Ive used pepperami hookbaits with sweet groundbaits and still caught loads mate

corn pellet and meat will all catch fish on the day

i allways start off fishing for bites and use smallish single hookbaits after an hour or so ue ll get an idea how your days goin to be so id suggest corn,pellet on the hook and take it from there

You really dont want to be fishing light for the size of the fish that are in there mate the tackle i explained before will see you having a good chance of landing most fish in there and a 14 hook to a 6ilb hooklink will give you an edge over someone fishing say a size 10/8 thru to 10/12lb line

The rule of thumb is sweet in summer spicy in winter but at commercials a single grain of corn in the winter can be a killer tactic

Boilies are an excellent bait but there not the be all and end all of baits and worm,corn,pellet,meat,castor and maggot all have there day on commercials :wink:

thanks for the advice mate, I'd have turned up and whacked out a boilie to start with! start with the corn and work up is a damn good idea!

I weren't going to go too light, to me 8lb mainline is light! I was thinking of starting with 8lb mainline and 7lb hook length and open ended cage feeder, with crushed boilie and ground bait, and boilie on hair to a size 12. but after your input I think I'll start off 10lb mainline with 8lb hook link, fishing method with ground bait, pellet and corn and maybe maggot in the mix on the method, and single corn on the hair, and see how that goes, then I can change to 2 corn if I don't get any bites, then onto maggot and boilie last, changing as I go to see what gets me the best results, but obviously if I'm getting bites on corn, I won't change unless the bites die down, then I'll switch to see if I can get them going again!

You've helped me a lot mate, I really appreciate it!!

what seem's obvious to most I would have and have previously overlooked! this has helped me understand the tactics I should be using more often, where I have gone out with boilie first and blanked, had I used a simpler bait I would probably have caught. also, starting with corn and working up to boilies allows me to start cheap and work up to the expensive bait's, which could save me boilies and money in the long run!

Hope you have a good day mate im sure you will :wink:

Just 1 bit of advice DONT put maggots in your method mix unless uve killed em they ll wiggle everywere and ue ll find moulding it round your feeder a pain.

Didn't think of that, I guess it could cause the ground bait to break up on the cast as well, because them moving would crack it and leave pockets of air in it...

how would I go about killing them without damaging them if you know what i mean? I'd like to keep the in one piece and drowning would cause them to bloat wouldn't it?

Put boilin water in a bait box give it a minute and drop a maggot in,if it goes a whiteish colour leave for 30 seconds n try again

Once you drop 1 in and it doesnt go a whitish colour tip em in and uve killed em :wink:

Do it too early and you scald em thats why they go white and they dont look as apealling

Dont buy your maggots with sawdust or maise on just get em as they are its a lot less messy that way :lol:

Put boilin water in a bait box give it a minute and drop a maggot in,if it goes a whiteish colour leave for 30 seconds n try again

Once you drop 1 in and it doesnt go a whitish colour tip em in and uve killed em :wink:

Do it too early and you scald em thats why they go white and they dont look as apealling

Dont buy your maggots with sawdust or maise on just get em as they are its a lot less messy that way :lol:

Brilliant! thank's mate! I'll try all this once my deliveries have arrived!! hopefully it'll all be this week, but I'm not fishing the weekend, OTT busy, so it may be beginning of next week.

I'll post back here, or hopefully the catch reports section and let you know how I got on and how well I implemented your advice :D

Feel like a kid at Christmas I'm that Damn excited!! :D :D :D

Rod's arrived today!! :D only ordered them yesterday and all though I opted for next day delivery, I didn't expect them to come on a Saturday!

Don't think I can wait for my new reels and line to arrive, might just grab an old reel and a few bits of tackle and head down to Drayton tonight for a few hours!! Then I'll have an excuse to go again when my reels arrive :D

AWESOME! well happy with them so far, had a look and they look and feel fantastic, seem like great value for money, however they came with 1.5oz 2oz and 2.5oz tip's, instead of the suggested 2 3 and 4oz tips, and they're push in tip's, the ones I all ready have are screw in!

Will all push in tip's fit or are they different sizes depending on the rod you have?

My spod and marker rod's look like they will handle being used as pike rods also, which is great! saves me buying pike rods when I don't do much pike fishing!!

Well happy at the moment! I feel all my Christmases have come at once :D :D

You wanna be using the 2.5oz tip mate if your using the method.But id seriously consider balancing your tackle out as 10lb line is too heavy for the type of rod uve got.If you get a caught in a bad snag then your quiver/rod is gunna snap before your hooklink does :cry:

Not all tips will fit in but try the universal ones in your tackle shops

You ve got a rod there mate that will catch you silverfish aswell as a lump or 2 althought as ive said the 1.5oz tip should only be used for shy biting fish or when winter fishing

You wanna be using the 2.5oz tip mate if your using the method.But id seriously consider balancing your tackle out as 10lb line is too heavy for the type of rod uve got.If you get a caught in a bad snag then your quiver/rod is gunna snap before your hooklink does :cry:

good advice mate, but there aint many snags in there, its basically a bowl with sand bottom and a moored boat and a few buoys, so snagging up is highly unlikely, however today I will be fishing 8lb mainline with 7lb hook link with a cage feeder, and the middleweight tip, 2oz.

Not all tips will fit in but try the universal ones in your tackle shops

thank's mate, I guess I'd be better off taking one with me when I go and seeing if they match up.

You ve got a rod there mate that will catch you silverfish aswell as a lump or 2 althought as ive said the 1.5oz tip should only be used for shy biting fish or when winter fishing

thank's for the advice, I'll be going somewhere with nice roach and perch as the weather gets colder, and some carp fishing too, as I've never fished in winter, good to know i have a good all round rod :)

well, got back from Drayton after going for an hour and a half, didn't catch anything but it was nice to feel how the rods cast and get a feel for them..

My accuracy was shocking!! took me 35 minutes to get the hang of casting to the same spot, or there about's.. by that time I had gone through half a kilo of ground bait lol!

as I was only there for an hour and a half, the bailiff didn't charge me, which was decent of him, and because of that I can afford to go all day tomorrow :D

only problem so far, I didn't encounter until I got to the bank, set up using my middle test curve (2oz) and when I got halfway down the tip section I came across an eyelet that was blocked off, hadn't been drilled out properly, meaning I couldn't use that tip and had to use the heaviest I have!

when I got home, i checked the other rod, which I hadn't unpacked yet (they were buy one get one free, so I chose 2 feeder rod's) and that rod's 2oz tip also had one eyelet blocked off, the same eye on the same strength tip, can't see that being coincidence, must me a problem with the manufacturing process..

Anyway, I've emailed TotalFishingGear and explained this to them, and i am awaiting a reply...

Shame really, that's the only thing that has let down an otherwise faultless service! The rod's are still great value for money, are EXTREMELY light compared to any other rod's I have used recently, feel beautiful to cast and reel in and otherwise seem great build quality!

Lets just hope the after sales team are as good as the rest of the service :)

• 2 weeks later...

hey mr fox , just come across this thread and its reminded me of a method i used a hell of a lot whilst i was undergoing the transition between general coarse fishing and fishing seriously for carp.

have you ever heard of the shotgun pellet feeder marketed by middy ?

its absolutely deadly mate , you really cant go wrong and i`ve had proper sessions using it including multiple mid double captures .

theres a video on the middy website which shows you how it works and it is SO easy to set up and use .

its so easy that i took my mrs fishing for the first time , set up a light feeder rod for her and left her to it . she caught a wonderful 14lb ghostie amongst a very tidy haul indeed .

as someone said earlier though , best use the heaviest tip you can find and dont take your eye off your rod otherwise you WILL lose it . :lol:

just watched a video on youtube mate, never seen one of those before, looks good in principle, would you then twitch it back like a normal feeder once it has emptied? I've used the rod once at Drayton a bout a week or so ago, using a cage feeder and maggot as a hook bait, and had quite a good session.

https://forum.carp.com/carp-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51562&highlight=

catch report, rod review and pictures on there...

I'll have to get a set of those, looks like they'll be good in the winter..

I've only ever used method and cage feeders before, will be good to try something new :) thanks for the tip mate :D

provided the feeder lands where you want it to , just tighten up to the tip as u would a normal feeder . The very short hooklink means the weight of the feeder acts as a bolt rig and the fish hookthemselves in the same way as if you was using a normal lead clip arrangement

What i will say though is it ain

t a lot of use for fishing in weed and u have to make sure the pellets are softened to the right consistency or they dont leave the feeder so best test em in the margins first .

Also An aaa shot about a metre behind the feeder will keep the line on the deck . I've even fished that feeder on a semi slack line , thats how effective the set up is

• 4 weeks later...

As a man that has overcast in to many a snag, the best thing I can recommend to do is to point the rod directly towards the snag, tighten up the clutch and walk backwards keeping the rod in line until the hooklink or line breaks (or you pull in the tree your attached to). It should go at one of the knots, worse case at the reel, but your rod should stay in one piece. :wink:

Be careful of flying leads/feeders heading back your way though!

As a man that has overcast in to many a snag, the best thing I can recommend to do is to point the rod directly towards the snag, tighten up the clutch and walk backwards keeping the rod in line until the hooklink or line breaks (or you pull in the tree your attached to). It should go at one of the knots, worse case at the reel, but your rod should stay in one piece. :wink:

Wrap a towel or rag around your wrist and grab the line just beyond the rod tip, that way you avoid breaking off at the reel, the worst place it can go. When you do it this way you tend to break the mainline at the hooklink/mainline join :wink:

Wrap a towel or rag around your wrist and grab the line just beyond the rod tip, that way you avoid breaking off at the reel, the worst place it can go. When you do it this way you tend to break the mainline at the hooklink/mainline join :wink:

Even better! Can't believe I didn't think of doing that before.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to post in an old thread, but just wanted to say I always keep a big fat glove in my bag for the sad situation of having to pull for a break.

I've experienced a pole float stem going right into my hand and cheek(!!!) a couple of times and would dread to think what a size 4 or 6 hook would do!

Not so much a problem if the snag up is under water as it shouldn't ping out too rapidly due to the resistance...but if you're snagged in bankside / island vegetation that is relatively close always cover your eyes, a lead or hook travelling at speed could easily blind you.

• 3 weeks later...

In my experience its best to use the lightest tip you can get away with also keep the rod low to the water so the wind doesnt become an issuse and use method feeders, cage feeders leads ect.

I personally use a heavy carp rod with spod and put out a bed of my groundbait and hookbait then a lead with funnelweb pva over the hook lenght works good all year round.