Willesley Fishery

I think i have found a little gem.

I have just discovered Willesley Fishery, does anybody no or have fished it this year?

I have used the search bar but would like pretty new information, and to know whether the fishing is any good on there?

After finishing work at Hams Hall, i shot of down the M42, all the way to ashby de le zouche, for my sat nav to tell me i have reached my destination, which is an empty field? anyway, after asking a helpful local, he pointed me in the right direction. As soon as i got there, in the middle of no where it gave a good vibe.

Anyway, had a walk round, went off to the right, away from the field/open side? and what a bad move that was, plenty of fallen trees, making it hard work to work my way around, but getting a good viewing of the lake at all times. When i got around to the field/farm side, i realised the quality of the swims vastly improved, looking like it will be easier to get a bivvy up, just will be more windier?

Anyway, i am going to do a day session on there in a couple of days, i liked the pegs on the field side facing the island, if not a little left of them, i usualy feel more confident fishing to islands, so i can get one rod on there, but see what its like on the day.

Seems like a really nice place, with a good head of carp, seems to be mainly doubles, with some 20's and a couple of 30's, and im sure plenty of singles. (please correct me if im wrong)

Im only really interested in catching the doubles to be honest, a 20 would be amazing, and a 30 is just magical, but thats a long way off.

I see the lake as a good way to learn (please correct me if im wrong again as it could be a tricky lake), as ive only being fishing smaller waters this year with carp mainly being high singles.

Anyway, any feedback on the lake would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance, Ross :)

I've wandered around a few times...lovely place. From what I made out its not an easy water and the stock is a topic of some discussion.

It had issues with car security at one stage.

On the plus side there's a curry house and a pizza place that deliver.

All of which will indicate I don't really know anything of consequence. :wink::D

Ross, just go and fish it. The better fish often come from the field bank and, truth be told, it's an easier bank to cast/retrieve from.

If fishing to the Island, be aware that it was constructed using rubble from a demolished old boathouse and still has sharps and snaggy bits. Closeish to the island is a mussel bank. More sharp bits!

It's a lovely place to be, although weekends are usually busy. So go on Wednesday. :wink:

Ian

Well, went and fished it yesterday and blanked :D

Really nice water, started off by the island, but mid day soon came around, so I took another walk down towards the car park, wher loads of carp where on the surface, so I moved over to them, but just couldn't get them interested.

Will be going back and doing 24 hours on there in a few weeks, it's a really pretty lake and looks like it will be a challenge to hook one.

Must say the ducks are a right pain! Catapult any bait out and one duck sees it, squawks, and every duck on the lake swim over to grab your bait :/

Cheers for the info though Ian.

Ross :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have fished it a few times and have blanked many times. The last fish I had was a 13lb stunner and gave me a tremendous fight.

I would say there is no real tactic at wills or bait, if you fish the shallows the ducks eat all your bait, if you fish the middle, the coots eat all your boilies, if you fish the wall end the carp sit on top sticking their fins up at you, and if you fish on the top for them you end up catching a duck or two.

But please be aware Christine the manager is putting it up for sale in March 2012 for £800,000, was originally for sale for 1 million but due to the credit crunch..she's knocked 200K off the price...get raiding your piggy banks boys.

She will not be doing the season ticket until it's clear whether the lake will be sold or not.

But that said, people moan about Willesley but it's a place that keeps you coming back for me.