What went wrong with my fluorocarbon....

sjfbarrett

Hi all, many moons ago I tried fluorocarbon as a hook link material. But when I hooked a fish it always gave around the eye of the hook and I lost sommany fish that I've never used I since. I was using a normal knotless knot and a fairly normal hook pattern (I think).

I'd like to give it another go but would rather not loose any fish again. Anyone got any tips or explanations as to why it kept breaking? I know fluorocarbon is a bit temperamental but enough people use it.

Cheers

Hi all, many moons ago I tried fluorocarbon as a hook link material. But when I hooked a fish it always gave around the eye of the hook and I lost sommany fish that I've never used I since. I was using a normal knotless knot and a fairly normal hook pattern (I think).

I'd like to give it another go but would rather not loose any fish again. Anyone got any tips or explanations as to why it kept breaking? I know fluorocarbon is a bit temperamental but enough people use it.

Cheers

ive never had a problem with it myself, probably because most the fish i catch are not very big :lol:

but ive i heard other people say that with a standard knotless knot coming through the back of the eye the flouro is weakend because of the angle it comes off the eye causing more presure on that part of the flouro

hope that makes sense :?:D

as you tie the knotless knot, wrap it around a few turns over the top on the way back up. this stop it moving ,as fluoro is rather springy and can loosen( this is when it can weaken ,as it rubs in the eye). also just before you fully pull it through the eye,wet it and gently finish pulling it through tight.

useing a hook with a straight or out turned eye will probably help also when u start to tie the knotless knot start the first turn going away from the join in the eye (the bit where the eye comes round and joins the hook) as this can cut into the floro under strain

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

if all else fails, go back to the good old trusty amnesia! much cheaper than these modern fluros and seems stronger too, modern fluro is a really delicate material, you need to tie rigs with kids gloves, inturned eyes cause flat spots on the fluro which can really weaken it, as can friction if you tie it too "roughly" or forget to moisten it, and by that i mean "coat it in so much spittle that its dripping off" - i find this keeps the friction down! out turned eyes are brought about as they lessened the acute angle caused by the "no-knot" styles, of which many people were experiencing the same dramas you describe.

ouchthathurt :roll:

if all else fails, go back to the good old trusty amnesia! much cheaper than these modern fluros and seems stronger too, modern fluro is a really delicate material, you need to tie rigs with kids gloves, inturned eyes cause flat spots on the fluro which can really weaken it, as can friction if you tie it too "roughly" or forget to moisten it, and by that i mean "coat it in so much spittle that its dripping off" - i find this keeps the friction down! out turned eyes are brought about as they lessened the acute angle caused by the "no-knot" styles, of which many people were experiencing the same dramas you describe.

I've found modern fluoros to be much stronger then monos. I also use it as main line and it easily lasts 2 seasons.

yes i agree, recently there have been many improvements in fluro technology, i even saw in a magazine to steam your fluro, something a few years ago would've weakened it.

i am currently using ultima powercarp fluro as a mainline, its really thin for its strength, reasonable abraision resistance and knot strength, its not too bad, however i do need to contsantly clean the line off.